Jump to content
  • 0
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1599 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Posted

So this thread has me thinking about a call I made a couple weeks ago.

 

Me alone at PU with 12U LL

 

Ground ball to F6 who has to charge it as its a slow roller and the grass is a little tall on the field

I rolled around the catcher to about a yard onto the grass infront of Homeplate for a good view.

It ends up being bang bang.  By my vision I see the ball hit the glove before the BR foot hit the bag. However I see F3 snap at and jostle the ball in his glove like he did not have a secure hold in it. Enough so I see the about half of the ball out of his glove.  He did not catch it cleanly imho.  At the time he gets control of it the BR has touched the bag and is past it. 

I called safe.  The VTC  asked time and asked me did the runner beat the throw I said no but the 1st baseman juggled the ball and did not have control of it until the runner had touched the bag.

 

I'm pondering now where is the catch no catch on that?  Did I kick that?

 

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

"Me alone at PU" says that any call you made was the correct call. 

Cough up some more money if you don't like it, coach.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

"I'm by myself here DHC otherwise I'd discuss it with my partner. I saw a juggle, you saw a crisp catch. Should we go to OHC for a tiebreaker?"

  • 0
Posted

Follow the call with the reason, to sell / substantiate it better. 

"Safe! He bobbled the ball!" 

  • 0
Posted
14 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Follow the call with the reason, to sell / substantiate it better. 

"Safe! He bobbled the ball!" 

The mechanic for that is the safe signal, followed by a signal like you're juggling.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47mka2omhj07zc5rqx5l 

  • 0
Posted
2 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

"Me alone at PU" says that any call you made was the correct call. 

Cough up some more money if you don't like it, coach.

Had a game once where the coach said to the solo ump (who admittedly made a tremendously awful call) "I want to appeal that call."  The ump said "I'm the only one here, who would you like me to appeal to?"  Coach says "To yourself...I'm appealing to you to change your call".  Without batting an eye "Appeal denied"

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted
On 5/12/2022 at 9:41 AM, ArchAngel72 said:

So this thread has me thinking about a call I made a couple weeks ago.

 

Me alone at PU with 12U LL

 

Ground ball to F6 who has to charge it as its a slow roller and the grass is a little tall on the field

I rolled around the catcher to about a yard onto the grass infront of Homeplate for a good view.

It ends up being bang bang.  By my vision I see the ball hit the glove before the BR foot hit the bag. However I see F3 snap at and jostle the ball in his glove like he did not have a secure hold in it. Enough so I see the about half of the ball out of his glove.  He did not catch it cleanly imho.  At the time he gets control of it the BR has touched the bag and is past it. 

I called safe.  The VTC  asked time and asked me did the runner beat the throw I said no but the 1st baseman juggled the ball and did not have control of it until the runner had touched the bag.

 

I'm pondering now where is the catch no catch on that?  Did I kick that?

 

If the ball never left the glove how can you say it wasn't controlled? An "ice cream cone" catch is a valid catch.

  • 0
Posted
59 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

If the ball never left the glove how can you say it wasn't controlled? An "ice cream cone" catch is a valid catch.

It was not controlled by the glove it was open and shut and in the air and when I could see at least half of it it was not in control of the glove. It was not snowconed

 

×
×
  • Create New...