Over running first base

Guest Muck town mike

Question

Guest Muck town mike

Can a baserunner turn towards fair territory without risk of being tagged out if he goes directly back to first and never makes a move towards second?

13 answers to this question

Yes.  The rule says "attempts to go to second" (or words to that effect) -- nothing about which way the BR must turn.

From OBR (but all codes are similar):

(11) He fails to return at once to first base after overrunning or
oversliding that base. If he attempts to run to second he is
out when tagged. If, after overrunning or oversliding first
base he starts toward the dugout, or toward his position,
and fails to return to first base at once, he is out, on
appeal, when he or the base is tagged;

I'm assuming this question was sparked by this ...

WARNING: NSFW LANGUAGE

I disagree with the commentator.  I don't see one little step.  I see several steps rounding and taking him from foul territory into fair territory.  Looked like an attempt followed by a quick second-thought to me.

I disagree with the commentator.  I don't see one little step.  I see several steps rounding and taking him from foul territory into fair territory.  Looked like an attempt followed by a quick second-thought to me.
If that's an attempt, it's the absolute minimum that's required for an attempt. He's taking chop steps slowing down in case he decodes to go, on a slight angle, about 8-10° left of the foul line (of the ~90° required to make a turn to 2B), and his left foot makes one move about 6 inches further towards 2B. I don't think I could call it an attempt if I only saw it in real time.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, isired said:

If that's an attempt, it's the absolute minimum that's required for an attempt. He's taking chop steps slowing down in case he decodes to go, on a slight angle, about 8-10° left of the foul line (of the ~90° required to make a turn to 2B), and his left foot makes one move about 6 inches further towards 2B. I don't think I could call it an attempt if I only saw it in real time.

And that's why you don't get paid the "big bucks"!

• Like 2

I would categorize that as a fake attempt:stir but, an attempt all the same.  

He had time to get back to the base  and not leave it to umpire judgement.  Blame it on 1BC.  He said go and Yelich took a step towards 2nd.  What's the first thing you take when you attempt to go, a step?  I'm ok with th call.  Especially in slow mo.  

Love @Jomboy_

3 hours ago, Guest Muck town mike said:

Can a baserunner turn towards fair territory without risk of being tagged out if he goes directly back to first and never makes a move towards second?

Agree with noumpere: yes. Turning one way or another does not constitute an attempt to advance.

As for the MLB play: those umpires call this the way their supervisor tells them to call it. Presumably, they're to call it quite strictly. I would not recommend such a strict test of "advancing" for amateur baseball at any level—and less strict still for younger players (below 13U).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Yes - he made a move then changed his mind.

I would categorize that as a fake attempt:stir but, an attempt all the same.  
He had time to get back to the base  and not leave it to umpire judgement.  Blame it on 1BC.  He said go and Yelich took a step towards 2nd.  What's the first thing you take when you attempt to go, a step?  I'm ok with th call.  Especially in slow mo.
 Love @Jomboy_
Totally agree with both of the bolded. Whichever way you look at it, Yelich should have gone back to the base. Pre- replay etc, things like that and others were called like 'yeah, we know what you meant' but nowadays everything is different.

3 hours ago, isired said:

I've seen similar called in MLB before, and I've called not much more than that in NAIA.  I agree with Maven on the U13, but I've also seen a couple of hard steps NOT called at that level -- and I would have called it.

2 hours ago, maven said:

As for the MLB play: those umpires call this the way their supervisor tells them to call it  

My guess is there may have very well been a memo after the missed call here. 
https://www.closecallsports.com/2021/06/intent-to-advance-when-overrun.html?m=1

• Like 1

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.