Error or hit?

Guest Tom Reggio

Question

Guest Tom Reggio

Shortstop throws ball to first on a ground ball, the throw pulls first baseman off the bag. Runner called safe and Does not advance to 2nd on throw.  Is this a hit credited to hitter or error on shortstop? 

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

This kind of question always makes me wonder: what the hell do people think umpires do?

Oh, all of the parents on the team know who the scorekeepers are. And with Gamechanger, they know exactly how the mom or dad padded their kids stats. But I digress because I dont give a darn anymore.

It takes a certain kind of person to try to answer a rhetorical question.

16 answers to this question

This feels more like a scorer's question, than an umpire question, since I personally stop caring once I make the call.  Having said that, I would say it's E6, especially if the timing of the play was such that the throw would have beaten the runner otherwise.

Speaking strictly for myself.

29 minutes ago, Guest Tom Reggio said:

Shortstop throws ball to first on a ground ball, the throw pulls first baseman off the bag. Runner called safe and Does not advance to 2nd on throw.  Is this a hit credited to hitter or error on shortstop? 

Scorer decision.  If a good throw would have resulted in an out it's an error. If the runner would have clearly beaten the throw it's a hit.

56 minutes ago, maven said:

This kind of question always makes me wonder: what the hell do people think umpires do?

it's not like the official scorer is a highly visible presence.  Hell, most amateur games don't have one, it's just the coach or a Mom in the stands keeping the book. Meanwhile the umpires are very visibly making calls.

it's not like the official scorer is a highly visible presence.  Hell, most amateur games don't have one, it's just the coach or a Mom in the stands keeping the book. Meanwhile the umpires are very visibly making calls.
Oh, all of the parents on the team know who the scorekeepers are. And with Gamechanger, they know exactly how the mom or dad padded their kids stats. But I digress because I dont give a darn anymore.... still bitter but I am working on that..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, BLWizzRanger said:

Oh, all of the parents on the team know who the scorekeepers are. And with Gamechanger, they know exactly how the mom or dad padded their kids stats. But I digress because I dont give a darn anymore.... still bitter but I am working on that..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Not where I live.

12 hours ago, Guest Tom Reggio said:

This is not a determination an umpire makes, but most of us, with more information can give you a fairly accurate answer.

• What was the degree of difficulty for the shortstop in fielding the ball?

- Did he move far to his left, right, up or back?

- Did he field the ball on a bad hop?

- Did the third baseman cut across and hinder him?

- Did a baserunner hinder him?

If none of the above answers are yes, and it was a routine ground ball, and the throw would have retired the runner, then it was an E6.

Without seeing the play, this is the best answer we can give you.

23 hours ago, Guest Tom Reggio said:

Typically, if the runner would have been out had the throw been on target, then it's E6.

A little more experienced/savvy scorekeeper can also determine if the throw was very difficult to make  (eg. F6 going to his right, making a fade away throw off his back foot) and grant the hit.

The real answer is this - it depends on whose kid is the scorekeeper's.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, BLWizzRanger said:

...padded their kids stats. 

Ah, memories. Decades ago when I was a bench-warmer in HS, I was the official scorer. One of my teammates made all-state in part because the head coach was always changing my errors to hits. He was a good player, but holy cow, he must have got an additional 10 hits on roughly 100 ABs (we didn't play as many games then as teams do now). That's the difference between .350 and .450.  Because he was a left-handed hitter and fast, the HC just assumed on any errant throw or bobble that allowed him to reach base, "he would have beat it anyway."

I'd read the line scores in the local paper and see the two teams with a combined three errors when I witnessed ten--easily.

23 hours ago, maven said:

A good umpire can do it all.

Call a good game.

Get rid of unruly fans.

Perform first aid on everyone

Rake the infield.

Update Gamechanger.

Make sure the concessions staff are keeping the beer cold.

Cook burgers between innings.

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

A good umpire can do it all.

IT is (somewhat) interesting that umpioes get asked scoring questions, but I've never been asked a stats question in basketball or volleyball.

It might have something to do with the scoring rules being in the rules book, but the average fan who asks the scoring questions probably doesn't know that.

20 minutes ago, noumpere said:

IT is (somewhat) interesting that umpioes get asked scoring questions, but I've never been asked a stats question in basketball or volleyball.

It might have something to do with the scoring rules being in the rules book, but the average fan who asks the scoring questions probably doesn't know that.

I'm speculating, but it also might be that parents seem to be a lot more involved in baseball/softball scorekeeping compared to other sports.   My daughter also played club volleyball and outside doing the occasional volunteer line judge stuff no parents on our team were asked to do scorekeeping/statkeeping.

Everyone and their aunt seems to know how to use GameChanger for ball.   More people doing it in ball leads to more questions...and there aren't a lot of resources out there so I suspect some people are just looking for any authority figure they can.

At the community/recreation level, I've participated in, and run, scorekeeper clinics...and many leagues organizations I've seen this taught by current or former umpires...even in some cases umpire trainers.  If they're involved in the game, they're REALLY involved.

I've also seen some pretty intense statkeeping on hockey.

On 3/1/2021 at 4:29 AM, maven said:

It takes a certain kind of person to try to answer a rhetorical question.

It takes a certain kind of person for sure... but....

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.