Guest Alain

Ejection

Question

Guest Alain

Hello everyone 

The league is in Quebec, Canada. The players are 15, 16 and 17 years old. There’s a play at the plate. Our player slides and is called out on the play. He says in french something that could be translated to « are you kidding me » to the umpire. No bad words, no yelling. Just that sentence. The umpire ejected our player from the game on the spot. Is it a fair decision? 

Thanks for your comments 

Alain

17 answers to this question

When it comes to Ejections every umpire has his/her own limits.  

So, the answer is, it depends!

If it were me in a 15-17 game, I'm probably giving a warning.

Context is also important. Was this an isolated incident, or were there problems before, either with this player, other players or coaches? Sometimes umpires have just had enough. Sometimes we have a bad day at work and, unfortunately, bring a short fuse to the game.

When this happens I just say "No, I'm not kidding you." I don't see this as near enough for an ejection.

Automatic ejection for speaking French ... its in the rulebook.

(No, not really.). :P

• Haha 1

As @LRZ said, the context is important. Did the kid jump up from the ground and get into the umpire's face? Did he throw his helmet to the ground? Was there a hand motion you didn't see?

The comment itself and said in a non-confrontational tone, I'd do as @SavoyBG said: "Nope."

Wait, the kid was Canadian? That's the equivalent of cursing out the umpires' whole family

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Many a player has been ejected assuming the Umpire did not speak / understand another language.............

I had a HS game this past spring and partner called an out on a banger at first.  I heard 'gordo hombre" as he walked away from first.  Partner called his number from the back of his jersey, and he turned around.  In perfect English this time I hear "Sorry blue, sorry, sorry".  Partner patted his belly and gave him a thumbs up.  Apparently, acceptance can change a high school players perspective.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I work several games (both baseball and softball) each year for a high school with a large Hispanic population.  I don’t speak Spanish, but I’ve learned enough to recognize key words and key phrases.

Guest Alain

Ok. You guys really made me laugh...Just to make it clear...

1) There was no over reaction from our player. He was on the ground, looked up at the umpire and made is comment. There was no yelling, no screaming. He was in disbelief.

2)In Quebec, everyone speaks french. So in that game the players spoke french, the umpire spoke french, everything in in french...You should come and visit...

The toughest thing about that call is that with this ejection, our player is also suspended one game. But what hurts the most is that we also loose one point in a six games playoff for the regional championship. And theres no way to get that call overturned...

Alain

1 hour ago, Guest Alain said:

Ok. You guys really made me laugh...Just to make it clear...

1) There was no over reaction from our player. He was on the ground, looked up at the umpire and made is comment. There was no yelling, no screaming. He was in disbelief.

2)In Quebec, everyone speaks french. So in that game the players spoke french, the umpire spoke french, everything in in french...You should come and visit...

The toughest thing about that call is that with this ejection, our player is also suspended one game. But what hurts the most is that we also loose one point in a six games playoff for the regional championship. And theres no way to get that call overturned...

Alain

Based on your description of events, it's a very suspect ejection.  However, the safest thing to do as a player is to never argue with an umpire's call.  Let the head coach discuss the call if he feels it was made in error.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:38 PM, Guest Alain said:

Hello everyone 

The league is in Quebec, Canada. The players are 15, 16 and 17 years old. There’s a play at the plate. Our player slides and is called out on the play. He says in french something that could be translated to « are you kidding me » to the umpire. No bad words, no yelling. Just that sentence. The umpire ejected our player from the game on the spot. Is it a fair decision? 

Thanks for your comments 

Alain

So when I was in Babe Ruth 13-15 yr old?

Said the same thing in English,  I asked for time PU did not grant it called strike 3 .. I walked across the plate towards my dugout saying "are you kidding me"   BANG tossed me on the spot.  So yeah it happens catch a guy on a bad day ..

On 8/1/2019 at 7:38 PM, Guest Alain said:

Hello everyone 

Thanks for your comments 

Alain

But did he throw in an esti tabernacle calice - yeah...born in Quebec....

But seriously...it is a (mild) insult to the umpire's abilities and integrity, and it is arguing/disputing a safe/out call - anytime you do it, no matter how nice, you take a risk.   If it's the tenth time this team has done a passive aggressive response to the ump's call he may have been "au bout de sa corde"

19 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

If it's the tenth time this team has done a passive aggressive response to the ump's call he may have been "au bout de sa corde"

I know it's probably not true, but I WANT to believe that's Quebecois for "how ya' like THEM apples??!?"

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.