Mask Sun Visors

AL-Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2040 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just a curiosity question, but what is the purpose of a mask sun visor?

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Replacement-Mask-Pads-Straps/F3-MSUN_Force3-Sun-Visor-for-Defender-Masks

I've always worn a cap under my mask - 4 or 6 stitch - and have never had issues with the sun.  I tried a buddy's mask that had a visor on it, but I couldn't even see the visor when the mask was on because the visor was shielded by the bill of the cap.  Is the visor for those that umpire with their hats turned around?  I seem to remember on the MLB umpire mask list on a different thread that there are several MLB guys that use the visor.

I umpire softball so maybe its a little ball thing.  Just curious.

3 minutes ago, AL-Ump said:

Just a curiosity question, but what is the purpose of a mask sun visor?

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Replacement-Mask-Pads-Straps/F3-MSUN_Force3-Sun-Visor-for-Defender-Masks

I've always worn a cap under my mask - 4 or 6 stitch - and have never had issues with the sun.  I tried a buddy's mask that had a visor on it, but I couldn't even see the visor when the mask was on because the visor was shielded by the bill of the cap.  Is the visor for those that umpire with their hats turned around?  I seem to remember on the MLB umpire mask list on a different thread that there are several MLB guys that use the visor.

I umpire softball so maybe its a little ball thing.  Just curious.

As I understand it, it'll still reduce the amount of excess light that reaches your eyes, even with a cap on. I can't attest to it's effectiveness as I don't have one (though I have one on the way) but I was working with a guy with one and he says it works wonders for him. 

10 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

2 issues ......

1. it keeps the sun off of your brim (essentially keeping  you cooler)

2. it looks cool! :HD:

This guy... agrees with that guy. :lol:

And the Pacific NW guys will tell you it helps to keep rain off the brim of your hat also.

• Like 3

All of my masks (except one, as @Thunderheads knows) have a sun visor – one part for looks, two parts for function. In sun-drenched environments (ie. Arizona) the visor is a very useful tool in shielding glare and creating a shaded area that lessens the need to squint and strain your eyes. Less squinting, less eye strain allows you to see and track pitches better. Every little bit of shade matters.

In rainy environments, the visor helps keep drizzle off the hat bill. When water collects on the bill, it becomes a droplet that unfortunately will drop off – like a whitish flash – right during a pitch. At least water shakes off the mask bars and visors whenever you take it off and on.

3 hours ago, AL-Ump said:

This mask sun visor you referenced is for a Force3 Defender specifically. The Defender has a deeper mask profile and the straps on the upper pad attach differently, thereby requiring a different visor. Markworts, Diamond, Honig’s, All-Star, +POS all offer visors for common masks.

3 hours ago, AL-Ump said:

Is the visor for those that umpire with their hats turned around?

A visor is never for these umpires. These umpires need a swift kick in the ass. An umpire’s hat is to be worn brim-forward at all times.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

2 issues ......

1. it keeps the sun off of your brim (essentially keeping  you cooler)

2. it looks cool! :HD:

4 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

This guy... agrees with that guy. :lol:

And the Pacific NW guys will tell you it helps to keep rain off the brim of your hat also.

Hot damn! You guys took my answers!

12 hours ago, amb1995 said:

Has anyone put a visor on a mizuno 122 frame? I Kind of want one but I feel like it may be too shallow at the top.

Ask @Thunderheads... he can fit a visor anywhere, in any mask.

This model of mask, Amb? The Mizuno 2QA-122?

2qa122.gif

Yeah, it uses the same basic planform as most other masks, so it would take a common sun visor.

No challenge for Jeff.

• Like 1

Ask [mention=969]Thunderheads[/mention]... he can fit a visor anywhere, in any mask.
This model of mask, Amb? The Mizuno 2QA-122?
2qa122.gif
Yeah, it uses the same basic planform as most other masks, so it would take a common sun visor.
No challenge for Jeff.
That's the one!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Funny thing, I was watching Dodgers and Nats yesterday and the announcers couldn't figure out what Yasmani Grandal had on his mask.  They were trying to figure out what it was for - it was so funny listening to them. They settled on "if a player thinks he looks sexy, it doesn't matter if it works for anything or not, they'll wear it". :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Funny thing, I was watching Dodgers and Nats yesterday and the announcers couldn't figure out what Yasmani Grandal had on his mask.  They were trying to figure out what it was for - it was so funny listening to them. They settled on "if a player thinks he looks sexy, it doesn't matter if it works for anything or not, they'll wear it". :)

They’ve never seen a sun visor before? And they couldn’t deduce  what it was? Announcers are DUMB! 

Though they’re correct about a player thinking something looks good...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

They’ve never seen a sun visor before? And they couldn’t deduce  what it was? Announcers are DUMB!

I know!  It amazed me too.  I couldn't believe they truly didn't know what it was for.  They were remarking it made sense to use in the sun, but then he wore it during a night game the day before so they weren't sure what it was for now.  Announcers amaze me - evidently you don't even have to know baseball to become an announcer.

And don't get me started on Joe Buck!

• 3 months later...
On 5/18/2018 at 9:56 PM, amb1995 said:

Has anyone put a visor on a mizuno 122 frame? I Kind of want one but I feel like it may be too shallow at the top.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I saw one with a visor finally!  It looks fine.

Mizuno 2qa-122 1.jpg

23 hours ago, BCBrad said:

As someone who wears glasses, I cannot express enough how the visor improves my ability to track a ball. 

I will never buy another mask without one. 

especially since the visor is above the bill of your cap.  It keeps the sun off of the bill of your cap, so the bill of your cap can keep the sun off of your glasses. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Used one for the first time Saturday and liked it quite a lot.  It was a clear and sunny day and it definitely helped keep the glare down and track pitches a little better.  Wish I'd had one the weekend prior when it rained through a double header I did.  

I'll be buying another one so that both my masks are equipped.  While it looks like  a standard visor would work, anybody ever put one on an Easton Speed Elite?  

40 minutes ago, 300e said:

While it looks like  a standard visor would work, anybody ever put one on an Easton Speed Elite?

Yup. It will fit fine.

There are only two masks that a standard mask visor will not fit in: the Force3 Defender (it requires one with different tab slots cut specifically for it) and All-Star FM4000 (unless you're special like @Thunderheads).