Burn out

dl1340
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1167 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On my 7-8th year of umpiring. My work schedule will not allow me to get out early enough for high school ball. I do call some middle school games on occassion. Last season and already just two weeks into fall season, I find myself not enjoying umpiring as much. I think I can chase it back to the fact, I am tired of bad baseball and stupid coaches and parents who don't have a clue on how baseball should be played. I think I might need to step away for a season or two to get fire back or get a new job that will allow me to call high school  or better baseball. Just need to vent

• Like 1

dl1340,

Nothing wrong with your idea of stepping away for a season or two.  Sometimes we all need to get away from baseball to refresh ourselves and remind us of why we umpire.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But, you can never escape all of the bad baseball, bad coaches or bad parents.  They/it will always be there.  I like your idea of trying to work better baseball, that should be your goal..

If you find yourself burnt out then step back and challenge yourself to get better. Go to a clinic, find a mentor do something to shake it up! Fall Ball for players is about learning, make it about that for you also. Better baseball will help but it's not a cure, look inward. The times I've found myself bored and fed-up are the times that.......well, I'm bored and fed-up. The level of baseball is the level of baseball, nothing I can do about that. I can only control my effort and attitude so I focus on that.

Good luck!

Or go check out tiny-kid coach-pitch, where umpires don't need gear, there are 20 *adorable* little spuds in their saggy-baggy uniforms running all over the place, and the coaches don't have time to fuss because they're all busy herding cats.  Hardly anybody even knows the score, the parents are otherwise occupied getting the post-game snacks ready, and everybody from all 3 teams (home, visitor, and umpire) are working together to provide the players with a positive experience.

Watch it or umpire it; either way, it's an absolute blast and a great reminder not necessarily of *how* the game should be played, but *why*.

• Like 1

Try a different sport. Currently moving up the ranks in volleyball and enjoying it. Have my eye on waterpolo as my possible next sport. The newness and learning keep things fresh, but your already developed game management skills mean that you move up faster-less mistakes.

Because of a death in the family in early June, .... I had a difficult decision to make, which I knew was the right one.  This year I was assigned a State Quarterfinal that I had to turn back because the family issue, and all of the minutia that follows such an incident, I chose not to umpire this summer and just be with the family as much as possible.  BEST decision I've made in a long time because for the first time since 2010 .... I HAD A Summer that wasn't spent on a  baseball field for 5 to 7 weekends in a row.   Did I miss it ....yes,  a little bit, but it was nice to get away and remove myself.

What it did was refresh me and now I must say I'm looking forward to Spring and the next High School season!   Stepping away for a bit helps considerably.

• Like 1

This year, I decided that it wasn't going to be all baseball all the time.  If something was going on I wanted to do, I blocked the date.  I was working on a real stressful project at work, so no after work ball.  I am studying for a professional licensing exam right now, so no fall ball.  Guess what?  I feel it has been great.  I have more than one hobby now.  I was able to sussesfully finish my stressful project without wearing myself too thin.  I will (hopefully) pass my exam.  And I got to still enjoy umpiring ball.  While I also have a job that prevents calling high school ball, I have tried to make the most of the opportunities I do have.  

Sometimes a step back is needed.  However, before shutting it off completely, maybe consider moderation.  It has kept me in the game, I know if I wouldn't of moderated, I would of quit.

• Like 1

I'm working to find that balance. While I love umpiring I can no longer do it 5-6 days a week. I have reduced my availability; some by my choice some due to my work. I haven't balanced it perfectly yet, but I'm getting there. At first not umpiring virtually every day felt wrong, but I quickly found I was enjoying my free time more and enjoying the games I was working more too.

• Like 1

Since June, I been trying to get back into better shape. I have started back running and cycling. Up to 60 miles on the bike during a ride and 6 miles on the run. Just started swimming for distance and it is kicking my a---------s. My goal is to do a Half Iron Man next year. So I am either going to cut back to one night a week umpiring or step away for a while to take a break. I love baseball, but I just can't continue to go 5-6 days a week on a ball field. Life is to short.

On 9/27/2017 at 7:59 AM, cyclonehokiece said:

This year, I decided that it wasn't going to be all baseball all the time.  If something was going on I wanted to do, I blocked the date.  I was working on a real stressful project at work, so no after work ball.  I am studying for a professional licensing exam right now, so no fall ball.  Guess what?  I feel it has been great.  I have more than one hobby now.  I was able to sussesfully finish my stressful project without wearing myself too thin.  I will (hopefully) pass my exam.  And I got to still enjoy umpiring ball.  While I also have a job that prevents calling high school ball, I have tried to make the most of the opportunities I do have.  

Sometimes a step back is needed.  However, before shutting it off completely, maybe consider moderation.  It has kept me in the game, I know if I wouldn't of moderated, I would of quit.

do you happen to be in civil engineering?

• Like 1

I've quit umpiring twice over the years, same with basketball. I came back with a better perspective both times; sometimes you can just get tired of doing something. I have found that working too much is a big cause of unhappiness for me, particularly with baseball. At this point the only baseball I call are high school games which in Iowa are all doubleheaders which can mean some long nights after work. I generally don't work more than 2 nights a week anymore with an occasional Saturday afternoon doubleheader thrown in there. I had several years where I'd work 4 or 5 nights a week and got to the point where I dreaded going to the park. Of course I know some guys that absolutely love working that much but we're all different; two doubleheaders a week is enough for me.

I think we all get to this point on our careers ...often more than once.........A few years back I found myself in the same situation,  I was once noted for umpiring any game played with a white ball and red stitches.............. 

I had become fed up with bad baseball, poorly coached and dominated by over the top parents..........Like many, my real job does not allow me to make many HS games, but I get by with the few night games under the lights and a number of JV Saturday games.....The real job has been good to me so that my financial rewards from umpiring baseball were never needed to pay bills. I am now making less money per year, but enjoying it more....

I came to the conclusion that I was going to dedicate my baseball efforts to doing "better baseball", Not just "any baseball".........again in my area that is a schedule limiter for certain times of the year.........but the benefits are worth it. I am more energized when I get to the ball park, I am more tolerant of the negative aspects of the game, I am doing a better job between the white lines.........

35 minutes ago, Stan W. said:

I think we all get to this point on our careers ...often more than once.........A few years back I found myself in the same situation,  I was once noted for umpiring any game played with a white ball and red stitches.............. 

I had become fed up with bad baseball, poorly coached and dominated by over the top parents..........Like many, my real job does not allow me to make many HS games, but I get by with the few night games under the lights and a number of JV Saturday games.....The real job has been good to me so that my financial rewards from umpiring baseball were never needed to pay bills. I am now making less money per year, but enjoying it more....

I came to the conclusion that I was going to dedicate my baseball efforts to doing "better baseball", Not just "any baseball".........again in my area that is a schedule limiter for certain times of the year.........but the benefits are worth it. I am more energized when I get to the ball park, I am more tolerant of the negative aspects of the game, I am doing a better job between the white lines.........

I agree with your approach to work "better" baseball and not necessarily "any" baseball.  I have found that the negative aspects are less when you work "better" baseball as the coaches and players are more knowledgeable and you don't deal with the Mickey Mouse crap.

• 3 weeks later...

I run into something similar almost every year.  With working HS and local LL (including post season), then moving into Fall Ball (where I worked with younger umpires to train them up), by the time fall ball was over, I was glad.  Then......waiting.......wondering.......talking...... reading UE........ By the time that pre season clinics and schools roll around, I'm ready again. 

This is after I stepped away from travel ball (4+ games a day on the weekend) and limited my schedules when they overlapped (also mentioned above).  You have to find your own "happy place". 

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...