Coming Up Loud and Big

Stk004
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2599 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

There's a couple other categories (especially holding the announcers accountable :shakehead:) this would fit into but I'll put it here. 

Dan Iassogna comes up VERY big and VERY loud for this INT call. Even though Kemp and Mattingly still wanted to argue, Iassogna let everyone know that he was 100% positive he had INT. Great example to show new umpires and a good reminder for the rest. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2017 at 2:29 AM, BT_Blue said:

This and the play at the plate in the 2010 world series make me a fan of Mr. Iassogna.

2012 world series, .....  out call on Prince Fielder .....I don't know how he saw it, but he got it!!!!  WOW!  When Jim Leyland comes out and says .... "Danny, saw the replay, great call at the plate there..."     You win! :D 

Here it is .............

• Like 2

On 1/1/2017 at 11:23 PM, Stk004 said:

There's a couple other categories (especially holding the announcers accountable :shakehead:) this would fit into but I'll put it here. 

Dan Iassogna comes up VERY big and VERY loud for this INT call. Even though Kemp and Mattingly still wanted to argue, Iassogna let everyone know that he was 100% positive he had INT. Great example to show new umpires and a good reminder for the rest. 

Although 100% correct, .... and a great call, and coming up big, for me (my own personal opinion) .... this was over done.  Where is he going making that call? Who is he looking at down the first base line?  Where is he going????  LOL

something else from the 2012 WS that I personally thought was over done ..... 

http://m.mlb.com/video/v25450693/?query=2012%2Bworld%2Bseries%2Bgregor%2Bblanco

I would have done the same thing ... Having some fun :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Nope ... for me it's just the opposite ......YOU'VE MADE IT ..... YOU are there!  So, ...why?

Maybe he just wanted a reaaaallllllllyyyyyy good look at the F/F decision. 

36 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Nope ... for me it's just the opposite ......YOU'VE MADE IT ..... YOU are there!  So, ...why?

What would you suggest he do?  What was it that he did that was overdone?

1 hour ago, lawump said:

What would you suggest he do?  What was it that he did that was overdone?

I don't know .......aside from crawling up on it as close as he could get as if the ball would magically squirt away, stick his nose in the ball to ensure it didn't move any more, then emphatically point fair like it was the closest call ever, .... nothing was overdone.... ;)  (and just to be clear, I do like D.I. ...he's very good)

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

I don't know .......aside from crawling up on it as close as he could get as if the ball would magically squirt away, stick his nose in the ball to ensure it didn't move any more, then emphatically point fair like it was the closest call ever, .... nothing was overdone.... ;)  (and just to be clear, I do like D.I. ...he's very good)

If they (players) are going to let it go like that, I'm going to get that close...especially in a WS.  You never know if it will hit a pebble and suddenly get even closer to the line.  Maybe the point fair was a little much, but I personally didn't think so (the ball was on the dirt).  If you were to watch me, I would probably have looked very similar.

10 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Jeff, I say the following in friendly jest...

Gentlemen, I've figured out why @Thunderheads is so jaded about the "umpire flourishes" in the 2012 World Series... If you recall, this was a very embarrassing, humbling 4-game sweep by the San Francisco Giants over... <duh duh duuuuuuhhh!> the Detroit Tigers.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Gentlemen, I've figured out why @Thunderheads is so jaded about the "umpire flourishes" in the 2012 World Series... If you recall, this was a very embarrassing, humbling 4-game sweep by the San Francisco Giants over... <duh duh duuuuuuhhh!> the Detroit Tigers.

burn.jpg

• Like 2

Gentlemen, I've figured out why @Thunderheads is so jaded about the "umpire flourishes" in the 2012 World Series... If you recall, this was a very embarrassing, humbling 4-game sweep by the San Francisco Giants over... the Detroit Tigers.

Not even close Max....sorry....Tigers deserved to get spanked there!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MadMax said:

You forgot to mention it was title number two out of three in a 5 year period. But who is counting.

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2017 at 7:26 AM, Thunderheads said:

HA!

I kept waiting for him to get down on his hands and knees and start blowing on it to keep it fair. 

• Like 1

Armbrister starts running as soon as he bunts.(as he should) Fisk starts going for the ball (as he should). The classic tangle/untangle. No malice, both players doing what they should. Brief contact, and play on.

Kemp, on the other hand, didn't run. He stood there looking at his batted ball. Had he run after the swing and there was contact, good chance we'd have nothing and a tangle/untangle.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Richvee said:

Armbrister starts running as soon as he bunts.(as he should) Fisk starts going for the ball (as he should). The classic tangle/untangle. No malice, both players doing what they should. Brief contact, and play on.

Kemp, on the other hand, didn't run. He stood there looking at his batted ball. Had he run after the swing and there was contact, good chance we'd have nothing and a tangle/untangle.

good video explaining this concept 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Richvee said:

I still think Armbrister had his foot out of the box when he made contact with the ball. :)