Felix Hernandez from the set

Richvee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2825 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

34 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Antone watching Seattle/Cubs tonight? Is it just me or does Felix Hernandez not even come close to a stop in the set? 

Was watching earlier thinking that is was an MLB set. ha

6 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Was watching earlier thinking that is was an MLB set. ha

I'm watching and thinking to myself if I don't get that balk in 90% of the balI call, I'm gonna be getting an earful (and rightfully so, IMO) from the OHC.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I'm watching and thinking to myself if I don't get that balk in 90% of the balI call, I'm gonna be getting an earful (and rightfully so, IMO) from the OHC.

I'm a big M's fan but I was on the road for the first 7 innings. Video would be helpful. 

9 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

I'm a big M's fan but I was on the road for the first 7 innings. Video would be helpful. 

Not from tonight's game, but it's the same all the time. There's no way I see a discernible stop.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v722021083/seacin-felix-works-out-of-his-jam/?query=Felix+Hernandez

http://m.mlb.com/video/v722260083/seacin-felix-wiggles-out-of-another-jam/?query=Felix+Hernandez

• Like 1

Kind of a rant. King Felix gets away with that all the time. But if a pitcher does something awry with R3, they will call the balk even though there was no way R3 was going to steal or attempt home on a squeeze. Kind of reverse of my philosophy in not balking a run home. In MLB it looks like It's a notch on the (I don't know what) if you balk R3 home but nobody GAS about a no stop with R1.

2 hours ago, Richvee said:

I see your point. 

9 hours ago, Richvee said:

In the first one, he pretty clearly comes to a stop.  the requirement is that the hands stop moving before the front foot is lifted.  The second is closer.

But, as I always say, you shouldn't try to learn to call balks by watching MLB.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Richvee said:

I have stops in both videos.  I would not balk this.

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

I have stops in both videos.  I would not balk this.

So are you calling it a stop when his leg stops moving and his hands are at chest level? And then when he brings his hands down lower the start of his delivery? 

2 minutes ago, Richvee said:

So are you calling it a stop when his leg stops moving and his hands are at chest level? And then when he brings his hands down lower the start of his delivery? 

Yes.  The stop is very brief, but he is stopped before his leg starts.

40 minutes ago, Richvee said:

That's a difficult description for me because the hands always stay at about chest level.  It appears he exhales, pauses very briefly, and then pitches.

19 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Would I be wrong to be for looking for more of a stop than that at the HS level?

It depends on what the rest of the umpires in your area are doing.  You don't want to be the only one calling it; or the only one not calling it.  I would not call it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Would I be wrong to be for looking for more of a stop than that at the HS level?

I know that if I didn't call that in high school, every OHC would be calling for my head on a platter.

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

Because there is no time requirement, there is no such thing as "more of a stop."  It's either a stop or it isn't.  Felix meets the requirement in the rule.

To be more direct - I would not call this a balk at any level I officiate (which is pretty much HS and college these days).

OHC:  "He's got to stop."

ME:  "He's okay for me, skip."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Because there is no time requirement, there is no such thing as "more of a stop."  It's either a stop or it isn't.  Felix meets the requirement in the rule.

To be more direct - I would not call this a balk at any level I officiate (which is pretty much HS and college these days).

OHC:  "He's got to stop."

ME:  "He's okay for me, skip."

Understood. Still looks more like a bounce than a stop to me. "A change of direction is not considered a stop" 

• Like 2

@Richvee.... I would not call this a balk in this area, especially not in that summer league we both work.

One of the "coaches" from that league has a penchant for whining about no stop balks and this is one I would not call, and if I would not call it in that league, I certainly would not call it in any other games I work.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

@Richvee.... I would not call this a balk in this area, especially not in that summer league we both work.

One of the "coaches" from that league has a penchant for whining about no stop balks and this is one I would not call, and if I would not call it in that league, I certainly would not call it in any other games I work.

Yep...He was looking for one the other day....on a pitcher with a stop much longer than this. The strange part was, "coach" was quiet and discreetly asked me about it between innings,and thanked me when I told him why I had a legal delivery. 

52 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Understood. Still looks more like a bounce than a stop to me. "A change of direction is not considered a stop" 

He's okay for me. :)

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just more discerning then some others but I am fine at all levels with this. I'll get a no stop when a guy has a certain pace then tries to rush to the plate with a base stealer on.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk