Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3588 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have absolute proof that our cultural and national decline has passed the tipping point.  NEWS FLASH, my proof has nothing to do with government, politics or religion...my epiphany occurred on the baseball diamond.

13u tournament game.  Following pitcher's warm-up, catcher throws to 2nd.  Throw goes right through F4's hands, then right past F6 and then between the legs of F8. 

I said to F2 "tell those kids they look like Larry, Curly and Moe." 

He looked back at me and said "Who are they?"

When we have reached a point where healthy, active American boys of this age no longer know the Three Stooges, we're doomed.

  • Like 5
Posted

One of the straps on F2's mask/helmet's stuck straight up, near the back of his head.
I said, "Two more, Alfalfa". 
alfalfa.jpg

The parents cracked up. I asked F2 if he knew who Alfalfa was. He said he did...so there is hope for the future of the country.

  • Like 1
Posted

how about "Who's on First"  showed that to my 12 yo the other day... he had no clue who Abbot and Costello were.

Posted

I teach a law class to paralegal students at the local community college.  I referenced Van Halen in one of my lectures.  One of my students raised her hand and asked, "who is Van Halen?"  She is 19 years old.

(sigh)

Posted
33 minutes ago, lawump said:

I teach a law class to paralegal students at the local community college.  I referenced Van Halen in one of my lectures.  One of my students raised her hand and asked, "who is Van Halen?"  She is 19 years old.

(sigh)

I can't even...

At one high school here, the music list that gets played between innings is full of awesome 70's and 80's rock. There's great stuff from Van Halen, AC/DC, Metallica... So I thought that some adult picked the music. I said to the home catcher, "you guys play great music here."

"Thanks," he replied, "we pick it ourselves."

"What... YOU guys do?" I asked, pointing to the field.

"Yep!"

"Man, you've great taste!"

Faith in humanity restored.

  • Like 2
Posted

Be prepared for a dumbfounded look when you tell your grandkid (13y/o!) to roll down the window.  

Posted

My first taste of "i'm getting old" also happened on the baseball field. I was coaching my kids' 13u team and was stressing the importance of not getting a death-grip on the bat. I said "George Brett would even have the bat resting on his shoulder until the pitcher started his motion". (Note: We're a couple of hours from KC, and I'm pretty sure when I was 13, he could have easily been elected president in my area.) I got a bunch of blank stares. I said "does anybody here know who George Brett is?" Nope, not a one. *sigh* ...and that was about 10 years ago.

Posted

So having a 12 and near 16 yo, I just asked them about the stooges....

 

16 - she got it, but wasn't real sure.... 

 

12 - year old... No idea who L,C & M were, faint knowledge of the Stooges. 

Posted
4 hours ago, kylehutson said:

My first taste of "i'm getting old" also happened on the baseball field. I was coaching my kids' 13u team and was stressing the importance of not getting a death-grip on the bat. I said "George Brett would even have the bat resting on his shoulder until the pitcher started his motion". (Note: We're a couple of hours from KC, and I'm pretty sure when I was 13, he could have easily been elected president in my area.) I got a bunch of blank stares. I said "does anybody here know who George Brett is?" Nope, not a one. *sigh* ...and that was about 10 years ago.

When coaching little league I had a Staten Island transplant on the team.  HUGE Yankee fan.

One practice I showed up in my Thurman Munson #15 T-shirt and he asked me who that was.  I asked him if he was a true Yankee fan.

His answer "Of course.  But he wasn't better than Roger Clemens."

Take a lap kid and don't insult me.

  • Like 1
Posted
4 hours ago, conbo61 said:

When coaching little league I had a Staten Island transplant on the team.  HUGE Yankee fan.

One practice I showed up in my Thurman Munson #15 T-shirt and he asked me who that was.  I asked him if he was a true Yankee fan.

His answer "Of course.  But he wasn't better than Roger Clemens."

Take a lap kid and don't insult me.

He may have been referring to his piloting skills.

Posted
4 hours ago, Matt said:

He may have been referring to his piloting skills.

You were a Fisk fan weren't you?

Posted

It appeared to be a grandmother & granddaughter (10-12ish) running the concession stand one evening.  I walked up and asked for "A Hamburger today, for which I will gladly pay you, Tuesday".  Granny chuckles as the younger of the two informed me that is was Cash Only.

  • Like 5
Posted
4 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

It appeared to be a grandmother & granddaughter (10-12ish) running the concession stand one evening.  I walked up and asked for "A Hamburger today, for which I will gladly pay you, Tuesday".  Granny chuckles as the younger of the two informed me that is was Cash Only.

Alright... I can see that one. In her defense, that catchphrase came about in 1932.

Posted

Once in a while in lower level games when a pitch is way high and outside I will say "just a bit outside"  or "Man how can they lay off these pitches."  The backstop dads will laugh but I see myself getting a blank stare from a lot of catchers who don't know Harry Doyle from Major League.

Posted

Got 'em on another high, inside heater: ya' can'ts hitsit and ya' can'ts lays offsit.

Posted
On 4/19/2016 at 0:08 PM, Cav said:

Be prepared for a dumbfounded look when you tell your grandkid (13y/o!) to roll down the window.  

Yeah and "Hang up the phone" is on the way out too.

  • Like 1
Posted

remember when you use to cheat ma' bell by calling person to person collect when you needed to "signal" mom or dad that you were ready to be picked up??  Only to have the operator tell you that you weren't home???

  • Like 2
Posted

I was working a game for some college club teams a couple weeks ago.  A pitcher came out with some black framed, hipster type glasses so I mentioned to the catcher that he looks just like Ricky Vaughn.  He just laughed and said "the Wild Thing".   I'm pretty sure, for baseball players, Major League is required watching but it still helps maintain a little faith in humanity when you can throw out a Harry Doyle line and everyone knows what you're talking about. 

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Not baseball related but a few years back on a family trip we pulled into a rest stop on the I5 heading towards central California. As we were waiting for everyone to get back to the car my son (now 12) asked what those things were hanging from the wall.

He had never before saw a pay telephone! Surprised me until I thought about it and realized I had not saw or used one for a very long time!

 

Year later we were traveling somewhere else and saw another pay phone. He remembered the phone but was bewildered with the books hanging below them... what do you mean they have all the numbers? Can't they just google the number!?!

 

Man... I feel old.

  • Like 2
Posted

Maybe 20 years ago I am assisting in coaching my daughter's coach pitch baseball team (yeah, I was coaching, and yeah my daughter wanted to play baseball, not softball). In a practice a kid makes a nice snag on a grounder at 3B. The head coach says, "You looked like Brooks on that one." The kid asks, "What, you mean Garth Brooks?"

  • Like 1
  • 6 months later...
Posted

I was a professor for a while, and made reference to a little-known band, though some of you may have heard of them.

The student's reply: "Who's Kiss?"

I almost slapped him.

  • Like 3
×
×
  • Create New...