Smitty Convertible Umpire Jacket

jpperez14
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2887 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I just bought 6 shirts for $10 each.

Damn, that must be nice. With the Canadian dollar where it's at right now, everything is 40-50% more expensive than it was the same time last year.

So, I got smitty convertible pullover Thursday, its exactly how it states. It is sized for plate gear, I got a Med and its a little big for me, but I think it would fit perfect over plate gear. The material is just as good if not better than the Majestic. I love it. A lot of the guys that have majestic said they would prefer the smitty over it after they felt/tried it on.

Thanks ump-attire.

• Like 3

I had the chance to connect with Jim at this weekends NCAA clinic in Nashville where he had the Smitty pullovers available for try on in sizes S,M,L. In the Majestic I wear a size M, which fits me slightly big. The Smitty size M was a perfect fit. The arm pit measurement of the smitty was about 24" (pit to pit) and the majestic measures 25" for the same measurement. The smitty M also in my opinion had slightly shorter sleeve length which for me was a perfect fit. It is definitely sized for the plate so If you are ordering it just to wear on the bases. I would size down from your base shirt size.

Thanks again @JimKirk for showing A+ customer service!

• Like 2

I had the chance to connect with Jim at this weekends NCAA clinic in Nashville where he had the Smitty pullovers available for try on in sizes S,M,L. In the Majestic I wear a size M, which fits me slightly big. The Smitty size M was a perfect fit. The arm pit measurement of the smitty was about 24" (pit to pit) and the majestic measures 25" for the same measurement. The smitty M also in my opinion had slightly shorter sleeve length which for me was a perfect fit. It is definitely sized for the plate so If you are ordering it just to wear on the bases. I would size down from your base shirt size.

Spoken like a true Resident Gear Pimp!! :D

• Like 2

Thanks Ken and thanks for being an A+ customer. Great review on the convertible umpire jacket. Glad you like it. Do you mind if we add it to as an online review? Would be very helpful to others there.

• Like 1

@JimKirk: Will you bring stock of these to Chicago or just a display model to try on? Can I order it and pick it up there?

Thank you for your question. We will bring display models for all our new products and a size each of the convertible jackets for sizing.

However, if you order online and put the hotel as the shipping address, we can hand deliver your order. Reach out to service@ump-attire.com after you order to communicate this well or if you just need help. Any shipping costs that show up on your order, we would credit.

I just got this jacket a couple weeks ago. I like it better than the majestic. I agree that the material is a little more substantial in this Smitty version. It is unlined, and vented, making it perfect to wear over anything that keeps you warm on the bases, or just over an undershirt, and still look crisp and sharp. When I first got it I was a little concerned because straight out of the package it looked (and felt) like a tarp. I dropped it off with my alterations/dry cleaner guy to apply patches and shorten the sleeves a little for me. When I picked it up he said he steamed it for me too. This thing looked really good without a wrinkle or crease in it. The best part is it stays that way from one game to the next, no wrinkles except where I tuck it in to my pants (and yes, you really should tuck it in). I really fell in love with this thing when some rain came in last weekend. It sheds the water off nicely. 

On 1/11/2016 at 5:23 PM, JimKirk said:

Thanks Ken and thanks for being an A+ customer. Great review on the convertible umpire jacket. Glad you like it. Do you mind if we add it to as an online review? Would be very helpful to others there.

Certainly Jim...do with it as you please.

• Like 1

@Mr Ump, I'm on the verge of putting my number on it, just haven't pulled the trigger. The MLB-style – white with sky blue trim – is the one I'm looking to put on it, but I suppose most others would do the white with black trim. Either looks real smart on it.

Again, my primary reason of putting my number on it is to address theft or walk-aways at tournaments and multi-field complexes. The Majestic does have a spot inside it where your name can be written, though, which is nice, but still the awkward question has to be asked, "Hey! Is that mine?!"

On February 1, 2016 at 4:16 PM, MadMax said:

@Mr Ump, I'm on the verge of putting my number on it, just haven't pulled the trigger. The MLB-style – white with sky blue trim – is the one I'm looking to put on it, but I suppose most others would do the white with black trim. Either looks real smart on it.

Again, my primary reason of putting my number on it is to address theft or walk-aways at tournaments and multi-field complexes. The Majestic does have a spot inside it where your name can be written, though, which is nice, but still the awkward question has to be asked, "Hey! Is that mine?!"

I went with the black / white number combo. Most of my jackets have a number and I decided that it would add that Pro look as opposed to some nice jacket that I found in the store look, especial since it was already all black. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Got a chance to use a friends last summer and fell in love with his jacket. Hated to give it back. Now I HAVE MY OWN. NEXT PURCHASE: New Balance Plate Shoes

• 1 month later...

Just got mine. Don't plan to wear it on the plate but you never know. 

I wore my buddy Mike's Majestic size medium one game a couple weeks ago during an NAIA series in middle of Missouri. Temps in low 70's but Windy as hell. Gusts in the 30+ mph range. So I needed  the jacket. The Majestic ran large on me and has a pesky Majestic logo embroidered cloth tape over a collar seam that poked me in the neck the entire game.  Not a fan. 

This Smitty brand jacket is very nice. Ordered it in medium. It fits a bit slimmer/trimmer than the Majestic Medium. No pesky neck tape. I'm  I may consider wearing it on the plate since I use the ultra low profile Unequal CP.  I like the Smitty fabric better than the Majestic fabric . I plan to sew digits in W/B/W 3" on it as it is just so plain black. 

If you're contemplating buying this jacket I highly recommend it. 

56 minutes ago, Majordave said:

Just got mine. Don't plan to wear it on the plate but you never know. 

I wore my buddy Mike's Majestic size medium one game a couple weeks ago during an NAIA series in middle of Missouri. Temps in low 70's but Windy as hell. Gusts in the 30+ mph range. So I needed  the jacket. The Majestic ran large on me and has a pesky Majestic logo embroidered cloth tape over a collar seam that poked me in the neck the entire game.  Not a fan. 

This Smitty brand jacket is very nice. Ordered it in medium. It fits a bit slimmer/trimmer than the Majestic Medium. No pesky neck tape. I'm  I may consider wearing it on the plate since I use the ultra low profile Unequal CP.  I like the Smitty fabric better than the Majestic fabric . I plan to sew digits in W/B/W 3" on it as it is just so plain black. 

If you're contemplating buying this jacket I highly recommend it. 

I remember the days that you wouldn't use something with a brand name as Smitty. Glad to read the change of heart.

On February 2, 2016 at 4:16 PM, MadMax said:

I put the number on mine and it looks very professional and sharp. It gives the  jacket a true purpose as to looking like some random jacket found in a men's store. I have a friend that has the Majestic jacket with no number and it looks so plain. But either way it is a must have.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay maybe its just me but if you umpire for an association that doesn't use any types of logos/numbers then it looks like you are just wearing a plain black windbreaker to me. I dunno I think with something of color on it it doesn't look too terribly bad but otherwise this thing looks very blah. I see the pros wear it and they have patches, numbers, and logos to add something to it. I prefer the Majestic jackets with the shoulder accents on them that for some reason the pros seem to do away with. I have a couple of these jackets and they not only function very well but I think look sharper than what the pros are wearing too. Just my two cents, this is something that I don't think I will be buying. I like long selves behind the plate when its cold and my nice Majestic jacket on the bases.