2016 Rule Changes

lawump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2998 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

​Yes.  And, I sure hope that "failing to write it down" doesn't become a "get out of jail free" card for a coach.

​I've seen it used for just that in college ball.  And I thought that the bench was preventive officiating.

It is often stated here on this site, IAW(R)E.  The W stands for Warn.  We've been using and teaching the warning to our association for a few years now.  This won't really change what we do...Instead of "Knock it Off Coach" or "That's Enough Coach", we will simply change that verbiage to, "That's Enough Coach...You've been warned."  

I may be wrong, but I don't think we need to get too bent out of shape about this.  For a major infraction...we can still do what we need to do.

• Like 1

It is often stated here on this site, IAW(R)E.  The W stands for Warn.  We've been using and teaching the warning to our association for a few years now.  This won't really change what we do...Instead of "Knock it Off Coach" or "That's Enough Coach", we will simply change that verbiage to, "That's Enough Coach...You've been warned."  

I may be wrong, but I don't think we need to get too bent out of shape about this.  For a major infraction...we can still do what we need to do.

Adding "You've been warned" should suffice for the spirit of this change.

When you delay the game a moment or two to jot a short note on a lineup card, the message will be reinforced. You don't write a novel just "HC-W-T7-B/S". Keep it simple.

• Like 1

You gotta write it down.  

Like it or not, there is much more seriousness attached to the warning when you record it or act like you recorded it.  I mean, your going to have verbal interaction with the coach anyway, it would now go more like, "In my judgement, Bob.....okay you had your say....we're not talking about anymore...that's your warning."

I can't believe they feel they need to codify good game management. 

I'm reading "Rise of the Robots", a book about how technology in on pace to eliminate nearly every job, even the creative jobs.  

It's happening. 

This is how society in general is going, why would we expect a bureaucracy like NFHS to be any different? Can we ask the home school for detention forms?

I will be very interested to see what state associations say about times when a coach or HC uses very unsportsmanlike conduct, do you give him a pass on the first one or not?

Item: Team A R2 trying to score on single by Batter. Close play at HP and R2 is called out. HC comes running down the baseline to home plate, yells "You're terrible!" and throws his hat on the ground? Is this a warning?

Item: Team B does not like strike zone of PU. PU hears "You s***k Blue" from asst coach in the dugout. Warning first or immediate ejection?

I wonder if this is something that state associations will use to excuse coaches or players when they are ejected to lift the mandatory suspensions for ejections, or even fine umpires if a suspension is seen as unjust?

Example: Assistant coach runs to BU after close play at second base and vehemently disputes call with the BU. By rule BU restricts HC to dugout and ejects Assistant Coach for unsportsmanlike conduct without a warning. After report received by state office and rebuttal by affected school principal or AD, state association lifts mandatory suspension for Assistant Coach because 'no written warning was given' before the ejection.    

NCAA Baseball desires a verbal warning given for certain infractions, I wonder if this is a way for FED to get umpires to give more warnings and limit suspensions and restrictions... just a thought.

Edited by jkumpire

Quote from Mr. Hopkins:

"A successful game official practices preventative officiating, and this new penalty progression will allow the official to issue penalties that give the coach the opportunity to remain in the game and teach his players."

I like a lot of things this man writes, but is anyone as grossly offended about this as I am? What does he and the Committee not understand about how umpires, not 'officials', practice proper game management? What other sport requires written warnings before penalties for unsportsmanlike behavior?

And the last shot about keeping the coach around to teach his players? What does this mean? Maybe AD's and principals need to handle that when contracts are signed and expectations are set up for coaches. If you as a coach want to stay around and teach your players the game and learn good sportsmanship, maybe you ought to show good sportsmanship from the beginning of the game when a call you don't like happens?  

I officiate other sports, some of them very emotional and tough sports to work with coaches and participants. In HS wrestling, for example, if you have a coach who is acting unsportsmanlike you go to the table, signal 'warning for coaches misconduct' and that's it. If it happens again, there is an ejection. In BK it's two T's on the HC, with some exceptions, and he's gone. Even in VB, you give a yellow card without warning that puts them on the bench, then a red card which is a point and side out, the red/yellow which is an ejection. I have not l ejected a coach in these sports in years.

There are no written warnings in these sports before you go to the penalty chart, why is it Baseball now adds another layer to give coaches a free shot to commit unsportsmanlike conduct before the penalties start?   

Edited by jkumpire
  • Like 3

Warning prior to restriction OR EJ?

That will probably kill the restriction. Too bad: it was a useful tool.

This written warning has to ONLY be for a restriction...not EJ. If coach goes from zero to EJ (comes out and starts kicking dirt on you), an umpire shouldn't be expected to warn him, write it down before EJ'g  when an immediate EJ is warranted.  

This is how society in general is going, why would we expect a bureaucracy like NFHS to be any different? Can we ask the home school for detention forms?

I will be very interested to see what state associations say about times when a coach or HC uses very unsportsmanlike conduct, do you give him a pass on the first one or not?

Item: Team A R2 trying to score on single by Batter. Close play at HP and R2 is called out. HC comes running down the baseline to home plate, yells "You're terrible!" and throws his hat on the ground? Is this a warning?

Item: Team B does not like strike zone of PU. PU hears "You s***k Blue" from asst coach in the dugout. Warning first or immediate ejection?

I wonder if this is something that state associations will use to excuse coaches or players when they are ejected to lift the mandatory suspensions for ejections, or even fine umpires if a suspension is seen as unjust?

Example: Assistant coach runs to BU after close play at second base and vehemently disputes call with the BU. By rule BU restricts HC to dugout and ejects Assistant Coach for unsportsmanlike conduct without a warning. After report received by state office and rebuttal by affected school principal or AD, state association lifts mandatory suspension for Assistant Coach because 'no written warning was given' before the ejection.    

NCAA Baseball desires a verbal warning given for certain infractions, I wonder if this is a way for FED to get umpires to give more warnings and limit suspensions and restrictions... just a thought.

"However, coaches can still be ejected on a first offense if it is deemed to be major."

• Like 2

"However, coaches can still be ejected on a first offense if it is deemed to be major."

So why have the written warning to begin with? Is an angry HC actually going to care you write his name down on your lineup card? I am sure this will make him think twice before he does something to get himself ejected. :GL:

So why have the written warning to begin with? Is an angry HC actually going to care you write his name down on your lineup card? I am sure this will make him think twice before he does something to get himself ejected. :GL:

I guess NFHS wants the warning for more minor offenses because coaches did not realize they were walking the line of a restriction. 

I don't see what the big deal is.  Usually a coach receives a penalty for an ejection (1 game suspension); but I didn't think there was any "punishment" for a restriction.  If a coach gets restricted, so what? He is back the next day.  

In the examples you provided, you would be perfectly in your "rights" to dump him straight away.  An experienced coach knows in certain cases he is going to be tossed right off the bat, and may even expect it.  Only a poorly worded EJ report would get it overturned. 

IMHO, this is not that big of a deal.

What if BU gives the restriction warning...does BU have to go to PU, to get him to document it on the line-up card ?  That would seem awkward.

You have to do this if BU restricts a coach.  No difference.