Majestic 2015 Unis

rjt6
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3325 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Good night everybody! @LMSANS will be here all week at the same time, please tip your waitress!

Why do some baseball teams have twelve variations of uniforms (Padres, Marlins, Diamondbacks, etc.), while others vehemently refuse to even entertain the idea of a single alternate uniform and find even the notion of an imposed "away" uniform distasteful (I'm lookin' right at you, Yankees)? Personality, man, personality. Everybody's different.

Pink is one of those colors that catch me in a quandary about. I completely agree and understand the "unwanted attention" angle, because only Volt / safety yellow or green would stand out more vibrantly. But, on the flip side, it creates that attention that isn't a bad thing at certain times. Cancer awareness games? I dig it. I lost a girlfriend to ovarian cancer. A couple of my good umpire buddies and I conduct a "Pink Game" at CDP every year (with CDP's approval), each one of us affected by cancer in our families. Otherwise, yeah, Pink shouldn't be brought out that often. Used for softball. ;)

@Thunderheads, the thing is, The Official's Choice is often looked at (by his counterparts) as a bit kooky, and "out there". He must be. Why do I think that? Because no one else (Smitty, WCUA, Honig's, Cliff Keen, Dalco, etc.) are copying him. I applaud the information you're relaying that he is doing up "MLB variations" (MLB cream, MLB gray, etc.), and I will more than likely get a few. But it just befuddles me why Majestic didn't go this route. If Majestic was to, all the other manufacturers would surely follow suit.

#EndTraditionalNavyShirts

EDIT: I just checked over TheOff'sChoice site. He's got Vegas Gold coming out... Which is far more vibrant than Pink. I'm oddly considering getting these. ;)

Edited by MadMax

Good night everybody! @LMSANS will be here all week at the same time, please tip your waitress!

Why do some baseball teams have twelve variations of uniforms (Padres, Marlins, Diamondbacks, etc.), while others vehemently refuse to even entertain the idea of a single alternate uniform and find even the notion of an imposed "away" uniform distasteful (I'm lookin' right at you, Yankees)? Personality, man, personality. Everybody's different.

Pink is one of those colors that catch me in a quandary about. I completely agree and understand the "unwanted attention" angle, because only Volt / safety yellow or green would stand out more vibrantly. But, on the flip side, it creates that attention that isn't a bad thing at certain times. Cancer awareness games? I dig it. I lost a girlfriend to ovarian cancer. A couple of my good umpire buddies and I conduct a "Pink Game" at CDP every year (with CDP's approval), each one of us affected by cancer in our families. Otherwise, yeah, Pink shouldn't be brought out that often. Used for softball. ;)

@Thunderheads, the thing is, The Official's Choice is often looked at (by his counterparts) as a bit kooky, and "out there". He must be. Why do I think that? Because no one else (Smitty, WCUA, Honig's, Cliff Keen, Dalco, etc.) are copying him. I applaud the information you're relaying that he is doing up "MLB variations" (MLB cream, MLB gray, etc.), and I will more than likely get a few. But it just befuddles me why Majestic didn't go this route. If Majestic was to, all the other manufacturers would surely follow suit.

#EndTraditionalNavyShirts

EDIT: I just checked over TheOff'sChoice site. He's got Vegas Gold coming out... Which is far more vibrant than Pink. I'm oddly considering getting these. ;)

Not sure I understand the "comedian sign off" ..... but alas...

The Vegas Gold is too "yellow" ...it needs to be more "Vanderbilt-like" if that makes sense.

I agree w/ your take on Pink.   Originally got the pink for a Mothers Day Weekend tourney we used to do.  Nowadays, we'll either wear them in October, ...OR, ...Sundays on certain tournaments, but ...they don't get much use.

If you're still in a State that requires Navy for HS, .... Paul's MLB replica Navy w/ red trim is actually much nicer than a traditional Navy.

Yea but.... MLB wears Majestic shirts.  Not Honig's shirts.  Honig's doesn't offer Majestic brand shirts.  Not trying to be a dick here. Does Honig's provide ALL uniform items to MLB umpires? Kind of weird that they don't sell something official to regular customers that other vendors do if they provide these items to MLB.

Honigs may not make the MLB shirts anymore (they actually did back in the early 2000's), you are correct its Majestic .  But they do gather and ship on behalf of MLB the uniforms for all the umpires . A few years back Honigs posted this on there Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150665972874203.460686.97390769202&type=1

Yea but.... MLB wears Majestic shirts.  Not Honig's shirts.  Honig's doesn't offer Majestic brand shirts.  Not trying to be a dick here. Does Honig's provide ALL uniform items to MLB umpires? Kind of weird that they don't sell something official to regular customers that other vendors do if they provide these items to MLB.

Honigs may not make the MLB shirts anymore (they actually did back in the early 2000's), you are correct its Majestic .  But they do gather and ship on behalf of MLB the uniforms for all the umpires . A few years back Honigs posted this on there Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150665972874203.460686.97390769202&type=1

they still do ...I saw all of the MLB guys stuff there last February ....

I think his main problem has been customer service and being unwilling to listen to suggestions.

When he first started he was practically giving away his shirts - sometimes they were around $10. This was when we had the black with the two stripes on the collar and sleeves & the polo blue with black collars.

He had far superior uniforms than Honigs or Cliff Keen, or anyone else. Lightweight, performance mesh and the colors and styles matched everything else. Then he got this stupid idea to make the stripes on the collars/sleeves thick enough to be seen from outer space with the naked eye. I, among others, told him to stick with the traditional stripes and he'd put others out of business. But he told me he wouldn't switch and everyone else would switch to match him. I told him the umpiring world wasn't trend setters and somethings needed to stay uniform for some sense of conformity. That's where he and I started to get sideways.

Then came the inconsistent prices, some days they were cheap, then next he'd raise them $20. There were issues like fading buttons and then switching to black buttons. Then came the poor customer service. I really pushed his stuff on my association because it was good quality and very affordable. Guys ordered, were charged, but it would be months before ever getting their order from him...usually after I would call or e-mail him to confront him. He would get belligerent with them and finally I had to say enough was enough and we moved on.

His different colors were (and still are) pretty cool...some of them are out there a little bit, but it's nice that he's thinking outside the box. If he would have just not tried to buck the system so much at the start, stuck to the traditional uniform but in new colors and then take care of business in the customer service department he could have snatched up things like Little League or USSSA or something like that and would have really exploded.

He and I had several conversations and he was open to several suggestions to start with (you can thank me for the burnt orange jersey he's selling). He just became more and more arrogant and had the opinion that he'd set the trend (see his dark gray base pants) and all the others would rush to match him. I told him it wouldn't happen and it never has.

Depends on your performance, @Rulekeep. If the game looks like it's going to go well, and I feel in total control, I'll say "Great day for baseball, guys, I'm Mad Max."

If the coaches are a pair of rats, and the teams look hostile? "Hi, I'm Jeff."

• Like 2

I just visited TOC site and I do like the look of the navy blue shirts, but I'm wary of ordering from him because of the negative feedback posted.  I sent an email asking about the availability, so if they respond with before mid March I may give him a shot.

I just visited TOC site and I do like the look of the navy blue shirts, but I'm wary of ordering from him because of the negative feedback posted.  I sent an email asking about the availability, so if they respond with before mid March I may give him a shot.

I've had 2 email conversations with Paul in the past week, so .... 

I have a couple of their shirts, size up for plate and you'll be fine.  They are pretty nice shirts!

I have been very happy with all The Officials' Choice shirts I have purchased over the years.  I agree with others that customer service is lacking but I have not had any problems.  I just know others who have had problems.

The old soldier in me is seriously considering the military green but not sure when I would wear them.  Probably too hot for summer.  I will definitely check back for the white with black piping. I already have a white with black collar and cuffs I got from them several years ago and they are great for hot summer afternoon/early evening games.  I am one of those guys who has two so I can outfit a partner if they only have navy and softball powder. 

• 2 weeks later...

I try to forget about bombs and 83 million dollar F-18 superhornets and napalm and torture and death when umpiring baseball. No way in the world I'm wearing military garb to umpire a ballgame. No one should ever wear a uniform that looks like an American flag. That's disrespectful. Just sayin.

• Like 1

I try to forget about bombs and 83 million dollar F-18 superhornets and napalm and torture and death when umpiring baseball. No way in the world I'm wearing military garb to umpire a ballgame. No one should ever wear a uniform that looks like an American flag. That's disrespectful. Just sayin.

I've got a team who's dugout I have memorized with a ten-digit grid just in case ever have the option of calling for fire.

I don't agree w/ everything you post...but we agree on this!  Thanks for posting!!!

was the "Flag" shirt brought up in this thread? :HS

• Like 1

Your opinion!

You wear what you want. I wear what I want!

• Like 1

I'm with johnnyg here. Ditto. 

I wear that patriotic flag shirt every July 4 to umpire in front of 7-8,000 people. It's in no way disrespectful. 

Patriotism is very subjective. I'm not a stickler for flag etiquette, but it does seem disrespectful, and on top of that they are just flat ugly.