Just a walk in the park?

dumbdumb
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3346 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Almost a record.

Fun game. 594 pitches, just a walk in the park.

Uh oh, ejections???

Where is the Collegiality???

http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2013-2014/ncaafw4.html

Apparently there were 2 interferences called in the game.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/05/31/5863465/tcu-and-sam-houston-state-playing.html

Just watched the highlights on ESPN aka the mothership. A great call interference call in the bottom of the 21st at second base.  Sam houston state was already storming the field, but the runner slid so hard into second he went through the bag and clearly made contact with the second baseman.

Just watched the highlights on ESPN aka the mothership. A great call interference call in the bottom of the 21st at second base.  Sam houston state was already storming the field, but the runner slid so hard into second he went through the bag and clearly made contact with the second baseman.

Do you have a video?  In NCAA you can slide straight through the base legally.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11015874/tcu-horned-frogs-outlast-sam-houston-state-bearkats-22-innings

55 seconds

I know he went through the bag directly, but this just looks so violent. He does not even slide before the bag, my first reaction was interference as well.  I don't know the college rule too well though.

Maybe you don't get the force play slide rule, but you could make a case for intentionally interfering with a throw.

d. The runner interferes intentionally with a throw or thrown ball, or interferes 
with a fielder who is attempting to field a batted ball. If a double play is likely, 
and the runner intentionally interferes with the fielder who is attempting to 
field the ball, both runner and batter-runner shall be declared out;

Is the 2BU umpire 4 man positioning in NCAA on the outside now rather than the inside.

The infield was up so he set up back.

M initial reaction was same as @Jimurray - I don't think he was on the ground (specifically the "buttock") and so this is not legal.

No leg and "buttock" on the ground before the bag as required by rule.

• Like 1

you can slide through the bag and make contact.

• 8 months later...

Almost a record.

Fun game. 594 pitches, just a walk in the park.

Uh oh, ejections???

Where is the Collegiality???

http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2013-2014/ncaafw4.html

Apparently there were 2 interferences called in the game.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/05/31/5863465/tcu-and-sam-houston-state-playing.html

Here's both of them from the TCU dugout cam

Here's the "controversial" one from the television cam.  Call of the year in my opinion!  Great umpiring.

There was some debate here on the call based on the original camera angle. This new angle shows the call in a much more obvious view. Just a simple tip of the hat for making a great call, at a very critical junction of the game.

My point is - it wasn't THAT obvious a call. It could have gone either way. The runner was all over the base, and the "leg/buttocks" point isn't a sure thing. Even the pivot man wasn't arguing the call, not that we're letting players call the game, but if it were THAT obvious, the defense would have been a lot more demonstrative.

They weren't demonstrative because he called it correctly right away.  He owned his call and position.  

They shouldn't have to get demonstrative.  I agree with you, it wasn't that obvious of a call.  BUT, this was a call in the bottom of the 21st inning which also pulled the winning run off of the board in NCAA D1 Postseason.  That call took balls and courage.  I love it when our brethren get it right in those situations.

It looks a lot less obvious from this angle:

I was in the "legal slide" camp on the initial, CF camera angle. The dugout camera angle does a better job of showing the runner going to the inside of 2B to contact the pivot man. The defensive team dugout was calling for immediately. Great call, HUGE spot. Correct call.

• Like 1