Jump to content
  • 0

Making Yourself Part of the Game


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4559 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Stew the Blue
Posted

Hello gentleman and ladies, I would like to get some opinions on something that occurred the other day. 

 

First a little bit of back story.  This is my second year umpiring in the current state I live in, however I have officiated 4 years prior in a different state.  My first state had a lot of umpires, and a lot of good umpires.  My current state is in a situation where they are begging for umpires and there are not enough to go around so some are not the strongest. 

 

So far this year I have called 3 interference calls which I am 100% sure I was correct on.  Problem is, most of the other umpires would not have called these. 

 

1st - R1 and R2 with 1 out.  Ball is hit to F4 who throws to F6 for the start of a double play.  R1 goes sliding in and overslides 2nd base making contact with F6 who is about 3 feet back towards LF.  I signal interference and award the third out against the BR. 

2nd - R1 steals on the pitch.  Batter swings and misses and falls across home plate.  F2 does not make contact with the batter, however he changes his motion and throws around the batter.  In my judgement, the batter interferred so I call him out and place R1 back on 1st.

3rd - R1 with 0 outs.  Ball is hit to F5 who thows to F4 for the start of a double play.  R1 goes sliding in and raises his hands up in the air.  F4 throws to F3 and the ball hits R1's rasied hand and never makes it to 1st.  I signal interference and award the second out against the BR. 

 

So first off, what does everyone think of the calls?

 

Now on to the next question.  During the last game in which situation 3 occurred in, the UIC was my partner.  Afterwards in our postgame, he tells me that at times I make calls which should not be called which makes myself part of the game and has an effect on the flow of the game.  We got into a minor debate over this and finally agreed to disagree. 

 

So some opinions on whether I am overofficiating are much appreciated.

 

Thanks in advance to all the responses.  I am a long time lurker and greatly enjoy reading all of the forums.  I would sign up, but my current association has a no internet policy (I know I just violated it, so do not tell anyone haha).

 

 

24 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

With the details of the original OP, I would say you are spot on to call INT in all 3 scenarios.

Why in the world would an association ban members from the internet and how do you even enforce that?

  • 0
Posted

I don't disagree with any of the 3 calls. IMO your UIC is more interested in getting the league/coaches to like him than by getting their respect by enforcing the rules.

Sent using Tapatalk

  • Like 3
  • 0
Posted

Good job. Do not downgrade yourself to their level. Keep doing what your doing.

 

No Internet policy?!?! :WTF  :HS 

 

Have you asked why not?

  • Like 2
  • 0
Posted

Theres a fine line between calling the game and making yourself part of the game.

 

I wasn't there )and I don't know the rules code you were using) so I wont comment on any of the specific calls -- but I can interpret all of them both ways.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

I am assuming these are high school games with a FED (or similar) Force Play Slide Rule.

 

As described, the two DP plays were obvious FPSR violations.  The BI was also obvious.  You made three correct and entirely appropriate calls.

 

I would ask the UIC:  "If you don't want it called when it's that obvious, when DO you want it called?"

 

Good job on the calls.  Call them again and again.  The UIC needs to grow a sac.

  • 0
Guest Stew the Blue
Posted

Sorry guys, I forgot to list the level of play.  All of the above is FED High School games. 

 

The no internet policy (according to the board) is put in to prevent possible conflicts.  They do not want us updating a Facebook, Twitter, etc with a comment that could potentially upset others when seen.  Their approach to this is just do not do it.  Frist time violation is a warning, second time violation is a one game suspension, third time violation is a 3 game suspension, and fourth time violation is suspension for the season. 

 

I agree with the thought that the UIC is wanting to keep peace and not upset the coaches.  He is the founder of the association and has great relationships with all the schools that we cover.  I also think one of the issues is that in this area coaches choose who umpire the area and district tournaments.  The participating schools get together and vote on which organization is used.  I understand the PR behind his job, but at times I think he sucks up just a bit too much so that we do not get the axe. 

  • 0
Posted

You were correct on all your calls! 

 

As independent contractors, we are given the latitude to manage ourselves. I am not a lawyer, but I believe that when an association starts telling the independent contractors what they can and can't do in their private time, that then would make you an 'employee' of the association. This means you are entitled to workers compensation and insurance coverage by your association. Now, I could be wrong, so if there any lawyers on the board, correct me please.

  • 0
Posted

I have one thought to add to what others have posted. Apart from the rightness and wrongness of the calls, there's politics.

 

For some, this is a dirty word: call the game the right way, and if folks don't like it, they can go pound salt.

 

Others are at the other extreme: there is no right or wrong independent of what your bosses/clients want.

 

As usual, the truth is probably in the middle. The tricky part about your situation is, supposing you're 100% right about the rules and their application, how can you work in an association that doesn't make those calls?

 

If you insist on calling them, you might get frozen out of games, get a reputation of being "hard to work with" or a "know-it-all" or a "book umpire." These pejoratives are sometimes applied by people who have more power than knowledge. Of course, some people who claim to know better are full of hot air.

 

Association politics are more difficult to navigate than the rule book (and that's saying something). A thousand different variables come into play. If the powers that be confronted me about a call, I'd do what you did: show them applicable rules and cases. If they still say, "yeah, but we don't call that," I'd just nod and thank them for the information.

 

Then volunteer to help train new umpires for your association, so that they can learn it the right way. Changing the culture of an association takes years or decades. That's been true from MLB on down.

  • Like 3
  • 0
Posted

Based on your descriptions, all the calls seem spot on.

 

I hate politics, politicians, and all the bull that goes along with all of it in all situations. I refuse to kiss the ring or any other body parts of any assignors when it comes to compromising my intergrity as an official in any sport.

 

If you are good, assignors will find you. You will work, and you will know that you are working because you are doing many things right.

  • 0
Posted

You didn't "Leslie Neilson"  the calls did you?  Like moon walk the out mechanic, or a jumping hurdler stretch for the interference?  lol

The only way I could see these particular calls being adjudged as you making yourself part of the game is by doing something along those lines...

 

 

 

  • 0
Posted

You didn't "Leslie Neilson"  the calls did you?  Like moon walk the out mechanic, or a jumping hurdler stretch for the interference?  lol

The only way I could see these particular calls being adjudged as you making yourself part of the game is by doing something along those lines...

 

 

 

'>
  • Like 2
  • 0
Posted

You could always ask "are there any other rules you would like for me to ignore, or is it just these?"

Or ask if that is a 'local" adoption and where can you get a copy.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

  • 0
Posted

You won't win with this sissy ass UIC. If you want to stay. Run against him and make this professional association.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • 0
Posted

Calling the game as it should be = Being a Professional

Calling the game as you want to because you want to please others = Being unprofessional and "making yourself part of the game" in a BAD way.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Guest Stew the Blue
Posted

On play three it was pretty obvious to me that he was throwing his hands up in the air to try and distract the fielder. 

 

For the most part, the organization is a good one and definitely better than the alternatives in the area.  I do find it annoying at times though the way other officials are so lax when it comes to rules.  Another example right off the top of my head occurred last year.  Area game between 2 teams that would rather shoot each other than shake hands.  They actually had a bench clearing brawl during basketball that involved the entire gym.  Partner and I (who has been in the organization for about 20 years and is a spot on official) start making our way to the field.  The away team is in the middle of infield warmups and the home team is lined up outside their dugout about 5 feet off the foul line.  As soon as I see this I order the home head coach to put his team in their dugout.  He kind of smiles and obliges without comment.  My partner looks at me and asks why I did that as it was probably only going to get them upset with us from the beginning.  My response was I would rather show them that we were going to officiate then let one team stand outside and stare down the other so that problems could occur.   

  • 0
Posted

I wonder.   Let's say your UIC worked with a recent AAA release.    Would your UIC challenge his judgement or game management?  Would there be a HS Varsity coach on this planet who would challenge him on it, beyond a couple respect-filled inquiries?   I say no. 

 

A friend of mine on this board told me something about a month ago that really stuck with me. 

 

We were at a D1 game together and he asked me to spot the AAA umpires on the crew.   I got it wrong.    They all looked like AAA umpires, but only one was. 

 

He said, these guys made D1 because they LOOK AAA. 

 

I think back to some of the arguments I have had on the field and wonder if it would have been different if I looked more AAA - that is, hustled more, moved the game along,  made the call with conviction, used the proper mechanics that eliminated questions and kept coaches in the dugout.     Just as important, I have gotten some very questionable advice from other umpires from time to time, and now I wonder, why do they offer that to me?  It's because I still have work to do.  

 

When it happens, it means that person is not buying what I am selling, yet. 

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

State asso sent all the district rep to find out what each chapter's "social media" policy is. DR asks our chapter prez. Chapter prez asks me (web site admin), hey, WTF is a social media policy? And what is our policy ?  Me: dunno and dunno. 

 

I also dunno if we should have one or not. I suspect some lawyer types are involved. I wait for the other shoe to drop.

  • 0
Posted

ricka,

 

You SHOULD, in fact, have one.

 

Ours includes things like you never mention specific schools, coaches, or players when talking about situations on any social media that is in any sense "public". (Umpire judgment. You are expected to use good judgment.)

 

If you want to talk about a situation you had "anonymously" (not you so much as the participants), that's fine.

 

Participating in social media to improve your umpiring is actively encouraged.

 

One of our board members just started holding weekly "web conferences" using the "free" version of "anymeeting". It's great. Guys submit topics during the week. One of the guy sputs together an agenda and "moderates". You can do slides, YouTube videos, webcams. All voluntary. We get like 20-30 people a week. Guys bring up things that happened at their recent games and we kick it around. I think it's a pretty good thing.

 

(I really, really like my association.)

 

JM

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

first off I don't have a problem with the calls at all. the problem is your UIC, if you don't make the calls you knowing helped the offense, now you have to justify yourself to the defensive coach, and if he knows the rules, your on the wrong end of the argument, and you will be selling "my judgment" without you believing it yourself. you know he's right and you are holding the proverbial crappy end of the stick, and your partner will be cleaning the plate wondering what all the fuss is about. what if it then escalates, if I can slide past the base to get to F6, maybe I can barrel roll him next time. you have to nip it, nip in the bud.

×
×
  • Create New...