How is this upheld, and how is this not a "transfer"

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3684 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I can almost understand how it could have looked at real speed (ALMOST) ...but on replay???  Come on!

That's textbook "on the transfer",... textbook

and I'm NOT a White Sox fan, ...and even less of a fan of Hawk Idiotbox .....

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v31678635/?mlbtax=undefined

I suppose they would have to be ruling that it just bounced out of his glove onto his hand and the whole thing was a bobble not a catch. Hard to see it that way myself, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

• Like 1

There was a spring training game recently where the pivot man bobbled the ball. The umpire called runner out, but the replay umpire ruled the runner safe (IMO, none of the replay provided on the video supported overturning the call). This play is the opposite, field umpire safe, video evidence to over-turn, but not done so.

If on-field umpires are going to make the "fixable" call instead of the proper call, this is going to be an ugly season.

• Like 2

There was a spring training game recently where the pivot man bobbled the ball. The umpire called runner out, but the replay umpire ruled the runner safe (IMO, none of the replay provided on the video supported overturning the call). This play is the opposite, field umpire safe, video evidence to over-turn, but not done so.

If on-field umpires are going to make the "fixable" call instead of the proper call, this is going to be an ugly season.

concur !!!!

Funny thing is, when you're trained out to spot "on the transfer," this play is exactly what is referenced: ball straight up or down out of the glove, get the out.

As usual, we should NOT be learning how to umpire from MLB umpires. Not that they're bad (quite the contrary), but because so many things are different at that level, it's almost a different game.

• Like 1

Funny thing is, when you're trained out to spot "on the transfer," this play is exactly what is referenced: ball straight up or down out of the glove, get the out.

As usual, we should NOT be learning how to umpire from MLB umpires. Not that they're bad (quite the contrary), but because so many things are different at that level, it's almost a different game.

Very true. I never see hands that quick in the 12U games I do!

Does the spring-training replay official have the same look as the TV audience?

I don't think they're dependent on the TV broadcasters showing them any particular camera angle...at least they shouldn't be.

I guess my point is that we "know" that the way it works in spring training is not the way it's going to work in the regular season.  So, if the spring training reviewer did not have the angles of the TV broadcast, maybe there wasn't enough evidence to overturn.

That's what NFL is doing now.  

I was trained by a professional umpire trainer that if the ball falls straight down that we likely do not have an out. Can you please expand on that philosophy?

I would take these spring training replays with a grain of salt. The high-def, super slo-mo cameras aren't there. Half these reviews,  they're looking at a replay from what amounts to a view from row 20 behind the plate filmed with a cam-corder. I think we'll see the replays get the calls right once we're getting the proper angles  in the major league stadiums. 

I was trained by a professional umpire trainer that if the ball falls straight down that we likely do not have an out. Can you please expand on that philosophy?

what johnny says makes more sense to me ....

for those who've played middle-infield, you can EASILY have a transfer pop out like the OP, ..... EASILY

If he was pulling it out .. Here is what we/ they teach..

The ball would be rolling away from the fielder, if didn't have it on the transfer the ball stays right next to the fielder.

Yep that's what I was taught by the pro. Thanks for the support haid

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The ball would be rolling away from the fielder, if didn't have it on the transfer the ball stays right next to the fielder.

That rule of thumb can lead you astray as it did an MLB umpire in the postseason last year.

That rule of thumb can lead you astray as it did an MLB umpire in the postseason last year.

Like many things it comes down to judgment.  I don't think it was taught to me as a black and white thing, but as a tool to use to help us make correct decisions.

Nope.. different sit.. that Ump got to fast and didnt have good timing.