Referee Magazine

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3698 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Things of note:

Indicator in right hand

Ring on his left hand

Wearing ratty cleats

Foot guard on shins

Cuffed pants, that are likely regular dress pants

Gray ball bag

Navy Shirt

I think he's punching out with his left hand - hard to be sure

If he's a volunteer umpire for youth games, I have no problem with any of the above.  Looks pretty good for a volunteer if you ask me.

the indicator did jump right out - that being said, I really do enjoy Referee Mag

About the diastema?

Diastema is sometimes caused or exacerbated by the action of a labial frenulum (the tissue connecting the lip to the gum) causing high mucosal attachment and less attached keratinized tissue which is more prone to recession or by tongue thrusting, which can push the teeth apart.

Because (sorry to break this to some of you all) to most people the umpire's just don't matter all that much.  To 99.9% of the baseball world excluding umpires they only notice or care about us when they need us, have to pay us, don't like it when or how we enforce the rules that we have next to ZERO input or influence in the drafting of.

I only cared or had a thought of umpires when I managed/coached AFTER I decided I had suffered and paid enough to the sorry lot of local slackers who umpired for us with their hands out, their hands in the concession stand and their "we're doing you a favor by showing up" attitudes. Particularly in summer and travel ball and rurally based school ball, MOST of our brethren are only in it for the money and some kind of power trip at the lower levels.  i lived in a rural area with these sorry types I am describing making up most of the umpiring ilk available to us.  I eventually starting importing "good" and "certified" umpires from out of town but I had to really pay through the nose to get them.  $75 per for 7 innings and $90 per for 9 innings CASH!  It was worth it when the games mattered and the Legion Post fronted the cost but it required us to buy less SWAG for our players and get a lot more aggressive with concessions, limiting fans bringing snacks and drinks to our tourneys, gate fees, and merchandise for the fans to make up the expense.

So, get real.  That guy looks like a "real" ump to 99 plus percent of the baseball "fans" and general public out there.  Not very many really care.  Sorry, but it's the truth.

My two cents.......

• Like 5

Things of note:

Indicator in right hand

Ring on his left hand

Wearing ratty cleats

Foot guard on shins

Gray ball bag

Navy Shirt

If he's a volunteer umpire for youth games, I have no problem with any of the above.  Looks pretty good for a volunteer if you ask me.

I wear a ring on my left hand. Not sure of issue. Now the rest of the stuff? I'm wondering what the purpose is of him being on the cover. I bought the baseball balls and strikes dvd and don't understand how they come up with some of the material. I am an instructional chairman and I would not use that dvd to train my high school unit.

• Like 1

Because (sorry to break this to some of you all) to most people the umpire's just don't matter all that much.  To 99.9% of the baseball world excluding umpires they only notice or care about us when they need us, have to pay us, don't like it when or how we enforce the rules that we have next to ZERO input or influence in the drafting of.

I only cared or had a thought of umpires when I managed/coached AFTER I decided I had suffered and paid enough to the sorry lot of local slackers who umpired for us with their hands out, their hands in the concession stand and their "we're doing you a favor by showing up" attitudes. Particularly in summer and travel ball and rurally based school ball, MOST of our brethren are only in it for the money and some kind of power trip at the lower levels.  i lived in a rural area with these sorry types I am describing making up most of the umpiring ilk available to us.  I eventually starting importing "good" and "certified" umpires from out of town but I had to really pay through the nose to get them.  $75 per for 7 innings and $90 per for 9 innings CASH!  It was worth it when the games mattered and the Legion Post fronted the cost but it required us to buy less SWAG for our players and get a lot more aggressive with concessions, limiting fans bringing snacks and drinks to our tourneys, gate fees, and merchandise for the fans to make up the expense.

So, get real.  That guy looks like a "real" ump to 99 plus percent of the baseball "fans" and general public out there.  Not very many really care.  Sorry, but it's the truth.

My two cents.......

Amen to this whole post. I have a guy who thinks because he has been umpiring 23 years he deserves a great varsity schedule and playoff games. Have yet to see him stand in the proper spot in the b or c slot. He stands by the dugouts between innings. He talks too much at plate meetings when he is the base umpire. I even saw him changing numbers on the scoreboard. When he attends a mandatory clinic, he stands in the back and conducts a sidebar and jokes around instead of paying attention. To me, he has repeated his rookie year 23 times. Had a Div 1 coordinator evaluate him and he stopped at three pages. The umpire called a week later to inform me he had corrected all the discrepancies. Some just dress up as umpires and pretend. 

• Like 1

Things of note:

Indicator in right hand

Ring on his left hand

Wearing ratty cleats

Foot guard on shins

Gray ball bag

Navy Shirt

If he's a volunteer umpire for youth games, I have no problem with any of the above. Looks pretty good for a volunteer if you ask me.

I wear a ring on my left hand. Not sure of issue. Now the rest of the stuff? I'm wondering what the purpose is of him being on the cover. I bought the baseball balls and strikes dvd and don't understand how they come up with some of the material. I am an instructional chairman and I would not use that dvd to train my high school unit.

I wear a ring on my left hand. Why? 1) SWMBO would kill me if she saw me without it, 2) association allows it, 3) I love my SWMBO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Things of note:

Indicator in right hand

Ring on his left hand

Wearing ratty cleats

Foot guard on shins

Gray ball bag

Navy Shirt

@grayhawk:  What's wrong with the ring on the left hand?  

He was on the cover of refereegazine, not People

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the thing, it would make more sense if this was People magazine and they didn't care/know any better.  But....a magazine for officials?  And this is what you put?  It honestly looks like a 1976 cover.

Things of note:

Indicator in right hand

Ring on his left hand

Wearing ratty cleats

Foot guard on shins

Gray ball bag

Navy Shirt

I think he has the foot guard on because those are not plate shoes.

• Like 1