Referee Magazine

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3711 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Why no ring?  Because if you get nailed in the finger, you may have to cut it off.  Also, because I was taught very early on to not wear jewelry on the field.

Navy?  No disrespect intended - it's just that I only see volunteer LL umpires wear them here in SoCal, so that's why my impression is that he's a volunteer.

Foot guard?  Yes, because he isn't wearing plate shoes, but another hint that he's probably a volunteer.

Again, if he's a volunteer - more power to him!  I have no issues with it.  No game checks generally mean no $$ to spend on gear/attire.  If he's a volunteer, then I think he looks pretty good compared to many that I have seen.

• Like 1

I love my wife, but my ring stays in the car when I work or do anything active for that matter.  This guy has a lot more to work on than his wedding band.  Hell, for all we know she's waiting out in the car to grab the game fee anyway…he might as well keep her fresh in his mind!  :-)  

To each his own. 

That being said, MajorDave is right on the money.  People deal with us because they have to deal with us.  They don't like to pay us and believe that we are ALWAYS overpaid.  

In fact in some parts of where I work, the nicer you're dressed on the field, the more $hit you're going to get for "making it about you."

If anybody enters this avocation to have people tell you how good you are, you're not going to last very long.

Agree w/ Grayhawk too.  If he's a volunteer, then everything changes.  If this guy is getting paid at any level he's doing all of us a disservice.  Once or twice a year I will help a friend and work a lower level game and I always hear the kids say "hey guys, we have a real umpire for this one" who knows, I may or may not be better than the people who normally work their games, but my appearance builds credibility before the first pitch is thrown. 

There's nothing wrong with wearing a wedding ring on the field. I wear my wedding ring. I want to know that when it's hit the fan and I've got a few thousand screaming idiots yelling at me that I have my family on the field with me.

If for some reason I get hit and they have to cut it off, we'll get a new ring.

• Like 5

There's nothing wrong with wearing a wedding ring on the field. I wear my wedding ring. I want to know that when it's hit the fan and I've got a few thousand screaming idiots yelling at me that I have my family on the field with me.

If for some reason I get hit and they have to cut it off, we'll get a new ring.

I wear mine for a similar reason.  I want to be reminded that no matter how bad it gets on the field, I could always be home.

• Like 2

I don't wear a wedding band, obviously, but I do have a ring from a friend's memorial that I'll wear in the field, just not at the plate. I think a hand injury that results in the ring being cut off is a lot less likely than accidental choking from necklaces or broken wrists from bracelets catching, simply because there's more room for injury from a paracord band or dogtags, which can be pretty loose; a ring is small and close fitting. So I think it's up to the umpire.

Truth is... He's an umpire making a call. I'm sure would take a pair of poly-wools and a pair of new NB plate shoes along with new shin guards. But he's doing the job with what he got. He does have a good CP on! I wore shin guards over jeans over 15 years ago when I got ask out of the crowd, because they needed an umpire. I did it & loved it!

He's still a brother, right? 

• Like 1