Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4719 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

What is it with some of the new guys on here lately??? Coming in as know it all and arguing everything. Chill out and earn your way in. Goodness gracious.

  • Like 3
Posted

The only argument I have is....my rocket...jet fuel or radioactive fission...which is better, more cost effective, and has less emissions?

Posted

The only argument I have is....my rocket...jet fuel or radioactive fission...which is better, more cost effective, and has less emissions?

 

I'll take C: The hot air from some of the more argumentative types around this board......

  • Like 2
Posted

The only argument I have is....my rocket...jet fuel or radioactive fission...which is better, more cost effective, and has less emissions?

Cost effectiveness or environmental impact ...not and...choose one or the other, you can't have both...have you considered solid-fuel?

 

The only argument really worth discussing is pipes: Whitney Houston, Alicia Keys or my sentimental favorite Judy Garland.

Posted

What is it with some of the new guys on here lately??? Coming in as know it all and arguing everything. Chill out and earn your way in. Goodness gracious.

Just another example of today's young umpire. They want the prime games, give "sage" advice, and blast anyone who disagrees with them. They want all of this without paying their dues.

  • Like 3
Posted

 

What is it with some of the new guys on here lately??? Coming in as know it all and arguing everything. Chill out and earn your way in. Goodness gracious.

Just another example of today's young umpire. They want the prime games, give "sage" advice, and blast anyone who disagrees with them. They want all of this without paying their dues.

 

 

HEY! Us reasonable young umpire beg to differ! Don't make @BRUMP and I come after you (after finishing our prime games) to offer sage advice and blast you when we disagree!!

 

;)

  • Like 2
Posted

It's not necessarily young umpires but I think you get the point.

Posted

Yeah don't put all us young guys in one basket. I know that I tend to disagree with some things said from time to time but I'm always up for getting credible advice from someone with more experience than me. I will say though that a lot of young guys who have paid their dues don't always get the same amount of respect as someone who is older with equal experience or even less experience. I agree though that in the past few weeks there have been more arguments than usual. I'm fine with disagreements because everyone has their own way of doing things but there is a right and wrong was to discuss a disagreement rather than having a full fledged argument with no real supporting facts on either side.

  • Like 1
Posted

What is it with some of the new guys on here lately??? Coming in as know it all and arguing everything. Chill out and earn your way in. Goodness gracious.

 

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, POPS!!! 

 

Wait, I'm not a new guy....never mind!

  • Like 1
Posted

 

 

What is it with some of the new guys on here lately??? Coming in as know it all and arguing everything. Chill out and earn your way in. Goodness gracious.

Just another example of today's young umpire. They want the prime games, give "sage" advice, and blast anyone who disagrees with them. They want all of this without paying their dues.

 

 

HEY! Us reasonable young umpire beg to differ! Don't make @BRUMP and I come after you (after finishing our prime games) to offer sage advice and blast you when we disagree!!

 

;)

 

 

Add me to that category I'll help you guys out!

  :wave:

Posted

Yeah don't put all us young guys in one basket. I know that I tend to disagree with some things said from time to time but I'm always up for getting credible advice from someone with more experience than me. I will say though that a lot of young guys who have paid their dues don't always get the same amount of respect as someone who is older with equal experience or even less experience. I agree though that in the past few weeks there have been more arguments than usual. I'm fine with disagreements because everyone has their own way of doing things but there is a right and wrong was to discuss a disagreement rather than having a full fledged argument with no real supporting facts on either side.

This will always be the problem with message boards...finding credible advice from experienced umpires. Anyone can hide behind a computer screen and claim to be something they're not. The umpiring community is fairly small and most people can be found out. While in the "real world" I would expect a newer umpire to know their place and keep their trap shut while around veterans in the lockerroom; in the world of social media anyone can join and create an account any day, any time. That means a CWS, MiLB, or MLB umpire could join (several lurk) and jump right into the conversations...and yes, disagree with some things that have been posted. I mean let's be honest...some of the advice that's been posted on here over time has been a little out there (in the words & voice of Cosmo Kramer).

 

As with any other on-line community, don't take things as gospel unless you can verify who the person is posting the advice and know them to be credible. Have local mentors to discuss situations with. The worst thing you could do is go out on the field and do something because you read a post from some unknown "expert" on here who said to do it.

  • Like 6
Posted

 

What is it with some of the new guys on here lately??? Coming in as know it all and arguing everything. Chill out and earn your way in. Goodness gracious.

Just another example of today's young umpire. They want the prime games, give "sage" advice, and blast anyone who disagrees with them. They want all of this without paying their dues.

 

 

Damn whippersnappers!

 

I blame blogs and social media: responsibility-free, critique-free, cultivating a culture of selfies.

 

Of course, many of the players and coaches have the same attitude... a match made in, well, heaven?

Posted

 

 

The only argument really worth discussing is pipes: Whitney Houston, Alicia Keys or my sentimental favorite Judy Garland.

 

 

Pop voice?  Opera voice?  Broadway voice?  Blues voice? etc.

 

So many variations - hard to pick one.

  • Like 1
Posted
I'm glad that someone started a thread for arguing. I've been itching to get into one for a long time. :wave:
Too late! You've already been arguing! :wave:
Posted

Many posters, including myself, read the posts much more than post.  

 

It seems like a lot of the newer posters are exactly the opposite, and post a lot.  

 

Look at the posters on this thread that have joined in the past 3 years or so:

 

JaxRolo...142 posts per month average

Jocko...299 post per month average

ricka56...36 posts per month average

mjr2013... 61 posts per month average

Platejob29...72 posts in a month

maven...159 posts per month average

 

Members like these are interested in talking, getting their opinions out there, arguing, etc.

 

JMHO

  • Like 1
Posted

 

Look at the posters on this thread that have joined in the past 3 years or so:

 

JaxRolo...142 posts per month average

Jocko...299 post per month average

ricka56...36 posts per month average

mjr2013... 61 posts per month average

Platejob29...72 posts in a month

maven...159 posts per month average

 

Members like these are interested in talking, getting their opinions out there, arguing, etc.

 

JMHO

I also believe that many members, use this forum to try to better themselves and others. One tried and true method to achieve this goal is through question and answer sessions.

I think @MidAmUmp made a good point with his locker room analogy; young umpires, myself included, can learn a lot from experienced umpires. I also believe that any umpire, no matter his/her years of experience, should always strive to learn more; even if that means learning from someone with less experience.

Posted

 

I'm glad that someone started a thread for arguing. I've been itching to get into one for a long time. :wave:
Too late! You've already been arguing! :wave:

 

:hopmad: I am not arguing! ...ah, $#!+    I had tongue firmly in cheek when I wrote post 16. I know my humor is sometimes disguised (sometimes its funnier that way...sometimes not). If you can possibly find a humorous interpretation of my post, take it...you can usually tell when I'm not trying to make a joke...sometimes :wave:  

 

Not joking points I'd like to make.

1) Whether a poster is right/wrong anyone/everyone (perhaps the lurkers) might benefit from a discussion/thread.

2) If you won't beneifit from a particular discussion, you can probably find another activity to satisfy yourself. :jerkit:  

3) Whether you think a poster is being persuasive or arguing depends only on which side of the topic you are on.

Posted

 

 

 

The only argument really worth discussing is pipes: Whitney Houston, Alicia Keys or my sentimental favorite Judy Garland.

 

 

Pop voice?  Opera voice?  Broadway voice?  Blues voice? etc.

 

So many variations - hard to pick one.

 

ELLA

  • Like 1
Posted
All I know is, don't listen to me. As an umpire, I'm not nearly as good as I think I am.
We know! :wave:
  • Like 1
Posted
I like arguing on the field way more than on the internet :mellow: Plus, I suck at being an internet umpire so I'd lose every virtual argument anyway.
Most people on hear can write much more eloquently than myself. I suck at writing things down. On the field I will put myself against anyone on here and be just as good! (In my own mind)
×
×
  • Create New...