Jump to content
  • 0

Trouble in slot for Lefty Batter


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4631 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Posted

Hey Guys,

 

For some reason I have a more difficult time calling balls and strikes with a lefty batter up. Im pretty sure I set up in the slop the same exact way that I would a righty batter (except on the opposite side of the plate of course). Does anyone have any idea why this may be?

22 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

I think it's more difficult just because we see less left handed batters so identifying a strike is a little more of a struggle. I did take a clinic with some very strong D1 guys this summer and they said if your a righty, then the right eye is your dominant eye making it more difficult to read the outside pitch.

  • 0
Posted

I had trouble at first and still trying to work on my strike zone. Usually on lefties I take a split second longer to make a call.

  • 0
Posted

It just takes practice. I had trouble with lefties for a while, still more comfortable with righties. The dominant eye thing has little to do with it because I am right handed but left eye dominant.

  • 0
Posted

It is different for the reasons already given, plus the catcher acts differently when he works a LH batter. My difficulties with it was the primary reason I went to scissors, I just learned the other advantages of the scissors as an added bonus. 

  • 0
Posted

Not too sure about all of these dominate eye theories.  If it was the case, you'd miss inside pitches on RHB's.  It really has more to do with the fact you're having to look across the catcher's body to see the glove vs. having it right in front of you on a RHB.  The majority of batters in most games are right handed, you become accustomed to that look. Have you ever worked the plate with a left handed catcher?  You struggle on RHB's because it's not a look you're used to.

 

Here are my suggestions after seeing numerous umpires come through our camps over the years...

 

1. Have someone check your feet.

  • If you say you feel you're in the slot on a LHB, chances are you're either squared off or your feet are inverted.
  • It feels awkward to "step into" your stance with a LHB.  
  • The best advice I could give you is make sure you are walking into your stance - you step back and relax in between pitches and then step up into the slot. Either plant your left foot first and step forward with your right foot, or do the opposite - plant your right foot first and then step back/to the side with your left foot. I'd personally try the left, then right approach instead of trying to step back because it will cause you to step to the side and not back.

2. Once your feet are truly in the slot, make sure they point to the SS & 2nd baseman.

  • This gives you balance in your stance.

3. Turn your upper body to square up to the SS.  

  • This will help you see the outside corner, while not sacrificing your protective gear.
  • Like 4
  • 0
Posted

It just takes practice. I had trouble with lefties for a while, still more comfortable with righties. The dominant eye thing has little to do with it because I am right handed but left eye dominant.

 

Were you base ball player?  I heard recently that while the overwhelming number of people match eye dominance with handedness, for MLB players there is much more cross dominance.  This article references it in colege:  http://psychedonline.com/2003/06/06/feature-eye-hand-dominance-baseball-performance/

  • 0
Posted

I don't know that I buy the "cross dominance" idea for batters, if you consider how many right handed players there are in MLB who hit left handed.

 

To the original question; I would suggest that you have someone video tape you working a game. I know that I was convinced that I was setting up in the slot the same way for both right handed and left handed batters, but I was all over the place for lefties when I looked at some tape of me working a game. You might be surprised at what you see when you watch yourself on tape.

 

Good luck!

 

Tim

  • 0
Posted

I was evaluating umpires earlier this year. Zone tended to be wider, by a few inches, on LH hitters. Matched MLB and other statistics I've read.

I've worked really hard to not let that happen in my games - I agree it has more to do with the glove location of the catcher than anything else.

Sent via Tapatalk 4

  • 0
Posted

I don't buy the eye dominance theories at all. As long as you aren't setting up differently for left handed batters then right handers, it becomes a matter of practice and discipline to call that outside pitch.

  • 0
Posted

It could also be a tracking issue.  I've found that it takes extra focus for me to track consistently with lefty batters.  Not sure why.

  • 0
Posted

Saturday I worked with a new guy.

First lefty that came up he stayed on the slot for a righty. :no:

I call time and run up to him and tell him that if he doesn't change sides I am leaving.

  • Like 2
  • 0
Posted

Im left eye dominant. And left handed. And I had the same trouble with LHB. Until I learned the true secret....breathe through your eyelids.

  • 0
Posted

Saturday I worked with a new guy.

First lefty that came up he stayed on the slot for a righty. :no:

I call time and run up to him and tell him that if he doesn't change sides I am leaving.

I am still upset with you over that!

I am left handed Chief!

Guess you are stiil upset over me wearing shorts at the plate!

 

Fun partner!

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

Im left eye dominant. And left handed. And I had the same trouble with LHB. Until I learned the true secret....breathe through your eyelids.

 

Did your mentor who passed this secret to you suggest other methods if the eyelids didn't work? Did they involve turning your back to the pitcher just before he engages the rubber? Possibly a non-standard under-garment situation?

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

Join the club!  As RichMSN pointed out, this is common even for those who are the best in the world - MLB umpires.  If you look at global pitch fx data, the strike zone for lefty batters is wider than it is for righty batters.  This data is from a combination of all MLB umpires.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

FWIW - My theory is there is a difference on lefties due to the way the catcher sets up. I believe catchers are more prone to squeeze you on lefties because they set up further inside. They set up more inside so it doesn't look like they are reaching as much on those inside pitches. 

 

This takes away your view more frequently with lefties at bat.

  • 0
Posted

This is a very easy fix. When your start the plate meeting simply tell the coach he is only allowed to send right handed hitters to the plate. Problem solved.

 

What's this plate meeting you speak of?

  • 0
Posted

This is a very easy fix. When your start the plate meeting simply tell the coach he is only allowed to send right handed hitters to the plate. Problem solved.

 

Even easier fix: before the plate meeting brush out the left-handed batter's box, and then call out any left-handed batter who is either hit by or hits the ball for batting out of the box.

×
×
  • Create New...