Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4843 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

So I've been using the same mask for about 5 years.  It is heavy and causes me to experience neck pain when doing multiple games behind the plate.  I saw this mask on e-bay and was wondering what everyone thought.  I'm not looking for the top notch stuff.  I want something light, reliable, and cheap.  Is 1.8 lbs pretty light?  I have no idea what mine weighs.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-A3008-Dyna-Lite-baseball-umpire-face-mask-NEW-/190859696045?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c701fd7ad

 

Posted

Sounds heavy to me....I'd spend just a little extra and get a Diamond Ump-Lite (about 16 oz, 1 pound) and fit it with Team Wendy pads.

Posted

That's solid protection, at a great price.

 

The next best for the money, and possibly the current best, is a Honig's frame with Team Wendy pads at around $85 delivered. Some will argue that shaving a few gram with a titanium frame is worth it, but the expense has to be weighed against the bendable downside.

 

That Wilson is a good rig, and great for the money.

  • Like 2
Posted

I bought the Diamond Ump-Lite and added the TW pads....LOVE LOVE LOVE ITTTT

 

+1 well worth the money....the best thing I can say about this mask is that I don't even think about it

Posted

I have a Davis Feather weight, NOW with TW pads on it. It is light.

Posted

I bought the Diamond Ump-Lite and added the TW pads....LOVE LOVE LOVE ITTTT

+1

Posted

I third the Diamond mask with team wendy pads. I own a silver framed one with tan pads and a black framed one with black pads, I love them both, they are lightweight and provide great protection. 

Posted

My mask is so old I don't even remember what it is!!!

 

dump it............there is so much better technology out there today...........and with the addition of TW padding you are missing out on the advantages.....lower weight, better views and better, safer padding..........and it wont break the bank.......

Posted

 

My mask is so old I don't even remember what it is!!!

 

dump it............there is so much better technology out there today...........and with the addition of TW padding you are missing out on the advantages.....lower weight, better views and better, safer padding..........and it wont break the bank.......

 

Will be getting new everything before next year's season, except shin guards.  Although the Honigs Elite I bought last year have been a bit disappointing, not wearing well.  

Posted

I have a Davis Feather weight, NOW with TW pads on it. It is light.

 

Which is the Diamond Ump Lite, so I have found out!  Love it.

Posted

I just sold my Wilson Dyna Lite WTA3017 for the same reasons. I bought the new All star FM4000UMP to replace it with and I love it! It weighs in right at 16ozs and makes a big difference. Stock pads in it are good, so if you don't have the money for a Team Wendy's upgrade, you will be ok. $60 plus shipping.

Posted

The lightwieght frame from Honig's, with the TW pads preloaded in it, is $76.

Yep, a good deal, not paying for two sets of pads...I have two Honigs/TW.

Posted

Whatever mask you get, put the Team Wendy pads in it. I will no longer go on the field without those pads. Mask weight is personal preference I think. I am kinda weird in that I don't mind the heavy mask. I also had a MLB ump tell me that we should be changing our pads every third year due to moisture, particles in the air and to maintain the integrity of the pads.

×
×
  • Create New...