Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5007 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

New books on Arbiter for those of you interested.

To bad they are not downloadable.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

www.rivercityumps.com

Posted

Most states give them for free with registration. Plus, the first thing I do with the umpire manual is throw it in the trash.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Both Oregon and Washington use a version of the college CCA manual crossed with the NFHS manual. Oregon calls it "Oregon Modified". This will be the first year Washington will be using the "new" mechanics.

Posted

In our association new members receive a CCA manual. We throw away the Fed mechanics manual when we receive them with our books. As an association we schedule HS, Legion, Sr Babe Ruth and Summer Wood Bat. We get assigned to Travel, Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth playoffs and any showcase games in the area. It is difficult for non-association guys to work anything but local recreational leagues regular season. Members work the rec leagues as traininers and "scouts" for guys to pull into the association.

 

Doing this, we keep everyone on the same page and doing the same thing. It limits our errors when swithching between codes...

Posted

Sounds like a monopoly. Too much control over too many things. Reminds me that power corrupts, but ABSOLUTE power corrupts, absolutely. My $.02

Posted

Plus, the first thing I do with the umpire manual is throw it in the trash.

Yep

 

 

Here in central Ohio, it's pretty straightforward - we WILL use all NFHS mechanics as described in the umpire's manual. The last couple yrs, especially last yr, it was a point of emphasis on evaluations. There's more flexibility for non-school games, simply because there isn't the evaluation infrastructure, but it makes it easier - pretty much everyone knows the same thing and is on the same page.

 

Pretty much the only major difference is the PU rotating to 3B on a no-one-on triple...do it for school games since it's full Fed mechanics, but most guys don't do it for summer/non-school.

Posted

Jocko...not really. Most of the guys in our association work multiple codes. We don't dictate who works what. When assignors continue to call our association to work their leagues because they are not satisfied with current staff, it is simply a confirmation that we are doing things right.

Posted

Jocko...not really. Most of the guys in our association work multiple codes. We don't dictate who works what. When assignors continue to call our association to work their leagues because they are not satisfied with current staff, it is simply a confirmation that we are doing things right.

i would tend to agree, except I've seen 1st hand what happens when the door only swings 1 way. It's not the guys on the field, it's the higher ups that seem to get greedy. Hope this doesn't happen to y'all.
Posted

"Here in central Ohio, it's pretty straightforward - we WILL use all NFHS mechanics as described in the umpire's manual..."

 

This hasn't been my experience (I've been in COBUA about 10 years). I can think of quite a few cases where we've been instructed to use "non-FED" mechanics or signals.

 

At our annual clinic, I've had instructors flat-out trash the FED mechanics and tell us to use CCA mechanics because "they are better".

 

Maybe it just depends on which "senior official" you're talking to that day...

Posted

We'll still have guys run around looking like they are trying to clothesline someone. I haven't used that signal in almost 20 years. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

  • Like 1
Posted

"Here in central Ohio, it's pretty straightforward - we WILL use all NFHS mechanics as described in the umpire's manual..."

 

This hasn't been my experience (I've been in COBUA about 10 years). I can think of quite a few cases where we've been instructed to use "non-FED" mechanics or signals.

 

At our annual clinic, I've had instructors flat-out trash the FED mechanics and tell us to use CCA mechanics because "they are better".

 

Maybe it just depends on which "senior official" you're talking to that day...

 

 

mostly the push by K. McNeely to enforce/reinforce NFHS mechanics - esp last year. Perhaps not all repeated the message with the same fervor as it was delivered :)

Posted

Just noticed the 2013 rule and case book app is available on the droid and apple app stores for $5.99. Now can someone tell me how to get the rule book onto a pc so it can be displayed thru an overhead projector? You can use arbiter's books if you have internet access if no access does anybody know how to get the the book on a screen.

Posted

Just noticed the 2013 rule and case book app is available on the droid and apple app stores for $5.99. Now can someone tell me how to get the rule book onto a pc so it can be displayed thru an overhead projector? You can use arbiter's books if you have internet access if no access does anybody know how to get the the book on a screen.

Ordered mine. Here's the direct link.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.nfhs.baseballrules2013&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5uZmhzLmJhc2ViYWxscnVsZXMyMDEzIl0.

Posted

Just noticed the 2013 rule and case book app is available on the droid and apple app stores for $5.99. Now can someone tell me how to get the rule book onto a pc so it can be displayed thru an overhead projector? You can use arbiter's books if you have internet access if no access does anybody know how to get the the book on a screen.

 

Possibly... a document camera might do the trick. (Camera to PC to projector) The one I use for my job has pretty good quality and it folds up small enough to fit into my laptop bag. They're not cheap though, and they're definitely in that "get what you pay for" category. Some light Googling will give you a pretty goodd idea of whhat's out there.

 

Oh, and I just DL'd the Android app. I'm really liking it so far.

Posted
Just noticed the 2013 rule and case book app is available on the droid and apple app stores for $5.99. Now can someone tell me how to get the rule book onto a pc so it can be displayed thru an overhead projector? You can use arbiter's books if you have internet access if no access does anybody know how to get the the book on a screen.
  Possibly... a document camera might do the trick. (Camera to PC to projector) The one I use for my job has pretty good quality and it folds up small enough to fit into my laptop bag. They're not cheap though, and they're definitely in that "get what you pay for" category. Some light Googling will give you a pretty goodd idea of whhat's out there.   Oh, and I just DL'd the Android app. I'm really liking it so far.
Thanks, but on the other rulebook thread in HS I found this link from Alec7: http://www.leaguelineup.com/rrbl/files/2012_NFHS_RuleCaseBook.pdf How they merged the rule book and case book into one PDF I don't know but the 2012 will suffice for training purposes. Don't worry, I don't put them to sleep with continuous PP slides or rulebook pages.
Posted

 

Just noticed the 2013 rule and case book app is available on the droid and apple app stores for $5.99. Now can someone tell me how to get the rule book onto a pc so it can be displayed thru an overhead projector? You can use arbiter's books if you have internet access if no access does anybody know how to get the the book on a screen.

 

Possibly... a document camera might do the trick. (Camera to PC to projector) The one I use for my job has pretty good quality and it folds up small enough to fit into my laptop bag. They're not cheap though, and they're definitely in that "get what you pay for" category. Some light Googling will give you a pretty goodd idea of whhat's out there.

 

Oh, and I just DL'd the Android app. I'm really liking it so far.

 

Thanks, but on the other rulebook thread in HS I found this link from Alec7: http://www.leaguelineup.com/rrbl/files/2012_NFHS_RuleCaseBook.pdf

How they merged the rule book and case book into one PDF I don't know but the 2012 will suffice for training purposes. Don't worry, I don't put them to sleep with continuous PP slides or rulebook pages.

----------------------------

 

Cool! And thanks for that link.

 

Maybe after I upgrade some of my equipment and stash some cash, I'll get one of those spiffy phones like Warren's! :notworthy:

×
×
  • Create New...