Equipment Bag?

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4508 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I meant that I love the name head case.

The New Era one from last year is the same, but the new one looks more squared off. The Lids one fits in the compartment beautifully.

Flip a coin, I guess.

I don't have either one and haven't seen them in person, but the Lids one says it holds 6 caps and the New Era says it's only for 2 - same price for each one... I'm planning on getting the Lids one.

I meant that I love the name head case.

The New Era one from last year is the same, but the new one looks more squared off. The Lids one fits in the compartment beautifully.

Flip a coin, I guess.

I don't have either one and haven't seen them in person, but the Lids one says it holds 6 caps and the New Era says it's only for 2 - same price for each one... I'm planning on getting the Lids one.

Nice catch!

No coin toss, get the Lids one.

BTW, I can get eight in there if they're folded properly.

I don't do THAT many games, ...however, I'm going to get hooked up with an additional assignor this year and more games. My problem that I see immediately is that I don't have an equipment bag, and that poses (or soon will pose) a problem.

Ump-Attire has a few, .... all over $100 ...and then there's this guy ...

http://www.ump-attir...Product_Count=3

Any info or reviews on this thing? I hate to sound cheap, but $130 seems steep for an equipment bag ....

Jeff,

I have the bag you've mentioned. Honestly, it's served me pretty well. I put my CP on the bottom, then my shoes on either end (in those reusable shopping bags from Walmart). In the middle, I have my mask (also in a bag) and a little accessory bag that I keep my indicator, brush, shoe laces, cup, etc. in. On top of these, I put my shin guards. I have a little suit case I keep in my trunk which has my compression shorts, leggings, undershirts, socks, ball bags and hats. If I'm going into a locker room to change, I'll put what I need into the Diamond bag and carry it in. When fully loaded as described, it's fairly sturdy and semi-easy to carry.

The biggest problem with this bag is none of the sides are sturdy. Even the bottom is pretty flimsy without the CP in the bottom. Also, there are no interior pockets (there is one on the end, but it's not real functional and if you put anything in it it makes the side collapse even more) to seperate your accessories. Since everything is stacked on top of each other, it's hard to get stuff out without disrupting the whole bag. Also, at the end of the day, you're loading everything in one, undivided compartment. So your clean undershirts that didn't get worn, get thrown in with your wet CP and dirty socks. Same thing with your hats and ball bags - by the time I get home and get stuff unloaded, it's all kind of damp and funky...

This bag [the Diamond] will hold most of your equipment and make it relatively easy to move from car to changing area. It will not keep it organized and separated. It also doesn't allow you to easily transport and store extra stuff (sunscreen, bug spray, extra indicators, shoe laces, etc.). I don't know what you're using now, but if you don't have a bag at all, this is definitely an improvement on that. I've had mine for around two years; it's held up well and there's no noticeable wear and tear. I'm glad I got it: but I'm definitely ready to move on to a real umpire bag that will serve me better. Yes, the $140-$160 price tag is a little scary, but really, it's a weekend of game fees. I also think it's one of those things, if you want to be a top umpire - look like a top umpire.

Let me know if there are any specific questions you have that I didn't answer. Bottom line is, it's a very basic bag that does an adequate job at storing and transporting your equipment and shoes. If you're looking for anything more than that, look elsewhere.

I'm switching to two bags next season. A long Wilson WV bag for clothes, and a Shock Doctor bag, with the dryer attachment, for gear. That way I can keep my clean clothes, and my sweaty gear far apart. Plus, the Shock Doctor bag keeps the gear fresher.

Are these ventilated Shock Doctor bags still available? I haven't seen them for sale in a couple of years.

In the regular season, I'm a high school and MSBL umpire, so I have my uniforms hanging in the back seat, and my Pro Nine or Diamond in the back cargo area of my SUV (Standard Umpire Vehicle). When I do summer, fall and winter ball and holiday tournaments, I work with a lot of college guys, from D-I on down. My mentor's one of those guys.

Virtually every one of these guys carries his uniforms in a garment bag to the locker room; everything else is in a wheeled bag like the Diamond, Wilson, Pro Nine, Force 3, or one like Fittske's. So, just like everything else I do to move up to college, that is the way I do it if I move my uniforms and gear from the car to a locker room. Uniforms on hangers in a garment bag over my left shoulder, everything else in that bag behind me. Everything! (If I'm not carrying my uniforms to a locker room, I don't use the garment bag.)

Now, I move my stuff from the car to the house between games. So on game day, when I come out to the car (which already has my supply bucket---a whole other thread---sheesh!), I throw the Pro Nine in the back, hang my uniforms on the hook, and that's it! I have absolutely everything I could possibly need to do a ballgame. It is a very secure feeling---well worth the extra expense. It's also nice to have everything separated and at your fingertips, rather than having to open up a bunch of bags and Rubbermaid containers.

While I don't feel compelled to list all of my gear, I use the Wilson bag. It is the best bag I've ever used. American Airlines virtually destroyed my old Honigs bag.

All of my gear and bottles of cleaning supplies fit in the bottom. My clothing fits in the middle compartment. Shoes fit on the end. Hats, stopwatch, and "stuff" fits in the zipper portion.

Everything in one bag with room to spare and I'm able to load my partners bags in my vehicle for our weekend trips.

Virtually every one of these guys carries his uniforms in a garment bag to the locker room; everything else is in a wheeled bag like the Diamond, Wilson, Pro Nine, Force 3, or one like Fittske's. So, just like everything else I do to move up to college, that is the way I do it if I move my uniforms and gear from the car to a locker room. Uniforms on hangers in a garment bag over my left shoulder, everything else in that bag behind me. Everything! (If I'm not carrying my uniforms to a locker room, I don't use the garment bag.)

Wierd because everyone here just puts the uniforms in the bag so they dont need to bring two bags into the locker rooms. You can easily fit a weekends worth of uniforms including spares in the bags if you dont carry a bunch of extra crap.

Just goes to show, I hope, that theres different ways of skinning a cat and you need to do what works for you.

Wierd because everyone here just puts the uniforms in the bag so they dont need to bring two bags into the locker rooms. You can easily fit a weekends worth of uniforms including spares in the bags if you dont carry a bunch of extra crap.

Just goes to show, I hope, that theres different ways of skinning a cat and you need to do what works for you.

That's all true. I've got a bunch of bags, including garment bags, for different situations. If I'm going to do one plate, and call it a day, I've got a bag for that. If it's a weekend gig, there's another solution. I've got a +POS bag that can hold a base umpire in it, if needed. I do like the Shock Doctor bag for drying stuff over night. There's nothing so awful like putting on a damp chest protector in the morning, after an evening game.

I would really like one of the umpire specific bags but here is my concern. I always dress out of thetrunk of my car (Nissan Altima). I have never been to umpires locker room that was not primarily used as a porta potty. Is one of the "clamshell" bags going to be better and easier than my big duffell bag? In the duffell I can fit 2 CPs, 2 masks, SGs, small box with indicators, plate brushes, pens, etc, plate shoes in one end and base shoes in the other, ball bags in the side pocket. I carry my other clothing and accessories in a Nike bag and keep all the uniforms hanging in the car in a garment bag. I would like to simplify this but I hate to spend $150 and find out it not as usable as what I already have. Thanks.

I would really like one of the umpire specific bags but here is my concern. I always dress out of thetrunk of my car (Nissan Altima). I have never been to umpires locker room that was not primarily used as a porta potty. Is one of the "clamshell" bags going to be better and easier than my big duffell bag? In the duffell I can fit 2 CPs, 2 masks, SGs, small box with indicators, plate brushes, pens, etc, plate shoes in one end and base shoes in the other, ball bags in the side pocket. I carry my other clothing and accessories in a Nike bag and keep all the uniforms hanging in the car in a garment bag. I would like to simplify this but I hate to spend $150 and find out it not as usable as what I already have. Thanks.

If you're not toting your gear, there's really no need for a fancy bag. I know plenty of guys work work out of their trunks, with no need for any sort of bags at all.

I have one bag ( Victorinox Swiss Army ) and all of my clothes are folded in the bottom compartment. I do not see a need to lug around 2 bags. I think the guys that noumpere work with are smart. I would say that 8 out of 10 college guys I work with do the garment bag and equipment bag thing. No biggie. That is extra stuff for them to carry around. I would recommend the Force 3 Bag. I am not a fan of lugging around a bag with words like Wilson and Diamond slathered on the sides. Let the ball players use that stuff. Im a sure this will piss off a few of you but that is my opinion and I am sticking to it!

If you're not toting your gear, there's really no need for a fancy bag. I know plenty of guys work work out of their trunks, with no need for any sort of bags at all.

And every one of those guys I have worked with who has all of his crap thrown into a big duffel bag---or worse, strewn about his trunk---has to borrow something he doesn't have or didn't bring or can't find. And for taking it to your car and knowing that you have everything, a hundred and a half or so is a pittance to pay for that level of security.

• Like 1

I have one bag ( Victorinox Swiss Army ) and all of my clothes are folded in the bottom compartment. I do not see a need to lug around 2 bags. I think the guys that noumpere work with are smart. I would say that 8 out of 10 college guys I work with do the garment bag and equipment bag thing. No biggie. That is extra stuff for them to carry around. I would recommend the Force 3 Bag. I am not a fan of lugging around a bag with words like Wilson and Diamond slathered on the sides. Let the ball players use that stuff. Im a sure this will piss off a few of you but that is my opinion and I am sticking to it!

I'm with you on the logos. So I blacked the Diamond logo out (easily done). I'm thinking of going a step farther with the Pro Nine; I am going to pick out the embroidery thread by thread.

And then it'll be close to perfect.

And the Force 3: They had zipper problems and other durability issues with the original. Is the latest one any better? I can say that the Diamond and the sturdier, more functional lookalike Pro Nine have excellent quality zippers and are extremely durable.

To each, his own with the generic bags; the umpire specific ones simply accommodate everything better for me. I love the idea of having everything at my fingertips. I go whole calendar years without forgetting or misplacing anything.

And every one of those guys I have worked with who has all of his crap thrown into a big duffel bag---or worse, strewn about his trunk---has to borrow something he doesn't have or didn't bring or can't find. And for taking it to your car and knowing that you have everything, a hundred and a half or so is a pittance to pay for that level of security.

While the bag concept with EVERYTHING in it certainly makes great sense (obviously or I wouldn't have inquired), I must say that I'm one of those who has my stuff in my trunk. I have an organizer I designed myself where everything goes. Shoes, belts, LGs, CP, mask, accessories, etc. Jerseys and pants go in the back seat on hangers. With 2011 being my second season back after a 15 year layoff, I must say that to date, I haven't forgotten anything yet.

Finn: your comment is probably true with most people, but there are a few that don't have a bag and don't forget ;)

I am not a fan of lugging around a bag with words like Wilson and Diamond slathered on the sides. Let the ball players use that stuff.

I guess I don't get this comment. I mean, we use Wilson CP and masks. Is that different? I've looked at the Force 3 bag, and I'm still considering it (although I'd like confirmation that the zipper issue has been worked out), but that's not a reason I'm considering this bag... Obviously, to each his own.

I am not a fan of lugging around a bag with words like Wilson and Diamond slathered on the sides. Let the ball players use that stuff.

I guess I don't get this comment. I mean, we use Wilson CP and masks. Is that different? I've looked at the Force 3 bag, and I'm still considering it (although I'd like confirmation that the zipper issue has been worked out), but that's not a reason I'm considering this bag... Obviously, to each his own.

For some it is ...

I don't own anything Wilson, and primarily because of the HUGE UGLY YELLOW "W". I understand what Chris is saying. But, to each his own...some love it, some don't mind, some can't stand it....

Based on Chris's comment, I bet he's not rocking a Wilson mask or CP....

For some it is ...

I don't own anything Wilson, and primarily because of the HUGE UGLY YELLOW "W". I understand what Chris is saying. But, to each his own...some love it, some don't mind, some can't stand it....

Based on Chris's comment, I bet he's not rocking a Wilson mask or CP....

But you own an All-Star, which also has a logo and is also used by players. I'm certainly not going out of my way to pay to advertise for a company, but if the product I want happens to have a logo, I'm not going to not get it just because of that. Like I said, to each his own, this just doesn't seem like a great reason to buy, or not buy, a particular bag. Just sayin'... ;)

The Force 3 bag was redesigned. The zipper issue was resolved along with other concerns. The bottom is reinforced better along with the wheels. I have used the redesigned bag since early '10 and have had no problems concerning the design. User error has put it's mark on it though. This is the bag I use to travel with while on the road during the summer and put everything umpire related in it. I do use a seperate container for cleaning supplies.

While the bag concept with EVERYTHING in it certainly makes great sense (obviously or I wouldn't have inquired), I must say that I'm one of those who has my stuff in my trunk. I have an organizer I designed myself where everything goes. Shoes, belts, LGs, CP, mask, accessories, etc. Jerseys and pants go in the back seat on hangers. With 2011 being my second season back after a 15 year layoff, I must say that to date, I haven't forgotten anything yet.

Finn: your comment is probably true with most people, but there are a few that don't have a bag and don't forget ;)

Now that you mention it, there is one guy I know, who works out of his trunk who's organized and efficient in the way you describe. All the power to you, if it works.

I simply can not and should not be hard-pressed for time when I am doing something important, and umpiring is important to me. I need a self-contained system, so that I am assured that everything is in order, so that I can be focused on the task of working the ballgame.

And, I need to be able to A) Carry all my stuff into the house after a ballgame, B ) Carry all my stuff up a flight of stairs when I am starting the day from the office, and C) Carry my stuff to and from a locker room during the summer, fall and winter tournaments and scrimmages. I don't sleep next to my gear, but I sleep better knowing it's not in the car. I have a hatchback and I don't want someone to break in and take all my crap.

It's a lot of security for the expense of merely a fee from one doubleheader. (I should start peddling equipment bags.)