Equipment Bag?

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4495 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

WOW, ...this is promising. Not only am Iooking at something that I KNOW HAS BEEN TESTED (this is Kevin's recommendation for a bag) ....but that's the best price I've seen! At this rate, I'm going to lean either ProNine, or the Force3. I'm considering the Force3 because of the extra's that come with it, the upgrades, and ....I'm a 25 minute ride to Honig's World Headquarters!:meditation: I love to see stuff before I buy. I haven't seen the ProNine, but I know Kevin, I've met him, and there's no one more passionate about gear. His word is golden....thanks bud ;)

Well, even if you're going to buy the ProNine, you need to go look at the Force3 bag. Because I want a full report...;)

WOW, ...this is promising. Not only am Iooking at something that I KNOW HAS BEEN TESTED (this is Kevin's recommendation for a bag) ....but that's the best price I've seen! At this rate, I'm going to lean either ProNine, or the Force3. I'm considering the Force3 because of the extra's that come with it, the upgrades, and ....I'm a 25 minute ride to Honig's World Headquarters!:meditation: I love to see stuff before I buy. I haven't seen the ProNine, but I know Kevin, I've met him, and there's no one more passionate about gear. His word is golden....thanks bud ;)

Well, even if you're going to buy the ProNine, you need to go look at the Force3 bag. Because I want a full report...;)

That's feasible! I just may do that for the 'brotherhood'!! :)

Thanks for the kind words, Thunder.

More on the bag scene: Pro Nine and Diamond are very similar, except the Pro Nine's bottom compartment walls are sturdier and its zippers are smoother and seemingly more heavy duty. Also, the retractable handle is a major plus (it didn't come on the 36-inch Diamond).

I beat the living crap out of the Diamond for three years of year-round baseball, carrying it up and down stairs, and carting it in and out of the house almost daily. But for a couple of scrapes near the wheel wells, it has shown no signs of significant wear or a hint of fabric or zipper failure.

I switched to the Pro Nine, which I bought as a back-up when the Pro Nine guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I switched to it when I let my son use the Diamond for a road trip, and I had some games. The Pro Nine is like a new, improved Diamond.

The Force 3 is a very cool entry, mainly for that large front pocket, those garment bags that they include and the easy-on-the-eyes design (the gray piping on the Diamond and Pro Nine does not look so good). I can't speak to its durability, but the word is that they upgraded the bag from its notorious first-generation entry that had all of the failures. (The one guy I know who got stuck with one had a zipper break the first time he packed it. The replacement they gave him lasted him nine months.) I would like to think that the new one is professional grade and worth buying.

One caveat: I would call Honig's to make sure they stock it. Around here, a 40-mile drive is something we make to go to see a movie, but to you, it may be a hassle. And if you do go to Honig's, and you do opt for a Force 3, slide a pair of polywools into the bag before you leave. You won't be sorry.

Santa (in a big brown truck) came early than expected and delivered my new 33" Diamond Gear bag. Very impressed. I need to continue to arrange the stuff to get it organized as well as I had it in my old bag. Moving into a new bag has pointed out that I likely toted around too much (always brought 2 CP and 2 masks). This will be very nice as everything is now in one bag and everything has a place. I think that it will be great in the long run.

Santa (in a big brown truck) came early than expected and delivered my new 33" Diamond Gear bag. Very impressed. I need to continue to arrange the stuff to get it organized as well as I had it in my old bag. Moving into a new bag has pointed out that I likely toted around too much (always brought 2 CP and 2 masks). This will be very nice as everything is now in one bag and everything has a place. I think that it will be great in the long run.

I usually get one of Santa's helpers, but he definitely comes in a big brown truck!

Anyway, young man, welcome to the universe of the well-organized. It is a cool feeling.

But I must say, many, if not most of us seriously over-prepared umpires carry two masks, but two CPs? I use different CPs for different levels of play (Gold for high-level, high-velocity ball; Douglas for mid-to-low level, and Gold when I'm not sure), but I only bring one in my bag or car on game day. I have back-up plate shoes and base shoes in the back of the car, and I have a base uniform with a belt, cap and undergarments in a bag that I always have with me just in case. (I've worked three games in two years by being ready when asked to jump in at a game I attended as a mere spectator. I've been carrying a base uniform ever since the first one. Once, the plate umpire went down and out and to a hospital and the base guy went to his car to get his gear on and do a one-man. So and I drove my car around and parked it next to his and volunteered to do the bases.) So I'm a major preparation guy, but I have never taken two CPs with me on game day.

Should I start, or should you leave one home? ... Leave one home and enjoy the living hell out of that new bag.

It's exciting, it really is. As I vividly recall the night I got my Diamond, I can almost hear my wife's voice early the next morning nagging me to stop packing and unpacking and re-packing it and come to bed.

Enjoy!

Kevin

It does fell good to have everything organized and in one place. Of course I may need a F150 to tote this around.

I agree that 2 CPs are overkill but 2 masks are prudent. I wear the Douglas, Gold and All Star interchangably. This means that I will need to decide the night before instead of game time. By repacking the lower section I was able to get all the gear in there and the top section has everything else. Like you I will still hang my uniforms in a wardrobe bag.

I do like the idea of a spare uniform in the trunk. I can recall a couple of games that I could have jumped into had I had my base gear.

Here's another cheaper option if you have a Costco near you.

Costco FUL 30" Drop Bottom Duffel

I've used it for half the season this past year. The bottom section is a little tight, but I fit a L/XL Wilson gold, plate shoes, shins, mask in there. Plenty of room and pockets up top for more gear. My uni's are on hangers, but if needed, I could fold and fit 2 pants and a set of shirts in the upper compartment. Base shoes (size 9's) fit in the wet storage area nicely. Fabric seems durable and stiff. No issues with zippers yet. I've been happy with it so far, no plans on buying another.

And if it doesn't work out, you have the Costco guarantee. I paid $39.99 in store.

Well guys, ...a big old fat THANK YOU is in order!! Much appreciation to all, as .......the "Christmas list" requests are coming in big time, and well, ...I had to make a decision to put on a list. Based on what I have here, and other emails back and forth ....I've put the Force3 on my list! I'll cross my fingers and keep all posted!

Again, ...thanks !! Couldn't have done it without this board! :)

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major umpire-specific bags on the market. I have the Wilson bag, more out of circumstance than by choice (lowest price and the only bag from a source that didn't require me to pay through the nose to ship to Canada). I've had it for 2 seasons, 404 games, it goes in and out of the trunk every day / night, at least 35% of my games are change-room gigs - so the thing has survived countless hauls across the parking lot - and it still looks brand freakin-new. It doesn't have the organizational capability of some of the other bags but a small dopp kit fulfills that just fine.

I've seen guys with the Diamond bag and its Pro-Nine sister and they love it. The organized compartmentalization of the TOP flap's main zipper is the major winner with this bag. Same with the Evans / Force-3.

They all hold up well. They all serve the purpose. And they all look sharp. The Diamond / Pro-9 is definitely the breadwinner of the group but if you find the right deal for a Wilson or Evans / Force-3, don't hesitate to pull the trigger fearing an inferior quality product.

I bought the big Wilson bag a couple of years ago, what a mistake. My biggest complaint is tha there is no stability to the bag. The sides colaps and don't hold their shape. Secondly the internal dividers are made of nylon wrapped around a very flimsy plastic and use Velcro to attach to the sides, thes too fold over and fail to hold shape. All in all the way the bag comes is a waste of money. I've made some modifications to get it up to snuff.

Are the other bags on the market much like this or is ther more structure to them?

I bought the big Wilson bag a couple of years ago, what a mistake. My biggest complaint is tha there is no stability to the bag. The sides colaps and don't hold their shape. Secondly the internal dividers are made of nylon wrapped around a very flimsy plastic and use Velcro to attach to the sides, thes too fold over and fail to hold shape. All in all the way the bag comes is a waste of money. I've made some modifications to get it up to snuff.

Are the other bags on the market much like this or is ther more structure to them?

You must be using a previous generation Wilson bag.

I have the current model, with 3 TOP compartments instead of 2 (including one that is fleece lined for a Shock FX, though I don't use it for this) and have none of the issues the poster above is reporting.

The Wilson--even the newer one--is made of a thinner material than the Diamond or the Pro Nine.

I have an old Diamond and a new Pro Nine. (The guy who started Pro Nine used to be down the street at Diamond, and he took his umpire bag design with him, which is why they're nearly identical.) They're both quite durable and serviceable, but I do find the Pro Nine to be slightly sturdier than the Diamond, especially in its bottom compartment (the side walls and the bottom panel). The other most prominent difference is that the 36-inch Pro Nine has the retractable handle, which is partly why the bottom compartment is made more sturdy.

The one thing I will say about the Diamond, Pro Nine and especially the Wilson: They all scream umpire. The Force 3 looks more like a standard roller bag, if that's the look you prefer. I love the Diamond and I love the Pro Nine even more. I got a silly deal on the Pro Nine during a tour of the facility, so I grabbed one even though I didn't need it in the foreseeable future. But when I lent out the Diamond to a protege, I started to use the Pro Nine, even though the Diamond hasn't failed in any way.

I suppose what I'm saying is that you can't go wrong with either one, but there are subtle differences between the two.

I still find it funny that most guys on here won't wear a Douglass for more than mid level games..look.. I am working a bunch of upper DI games... worked some really great ball in the summer.. I only wear a douglas.. it has way mopre than enough protection...I had a west vest gold and sold it cause i never wore it anymore..LOL

With some modifications I've got the Wilson into usable condition. One other thing I've done is stop putting any of my uniform into the bag, those are all now hung and bagged separately, this has helped.

I had the wison.. I took all of my clothes and laied out in the bottom and all the equipment on the TOP.. and still had room... I never hang clothes int he car anymore.. maybe cause I'm lazy, or I just do not like to carry more than 1 bag..LOL

I still find it funny that most guys on here won't wear a Douglass for more than mid level games..look.. I am working a bunch of upper DI games... worked some really great ball in the summer.. I only wear a douglas.. it has way mopre than enough protection...I had a west vest gold and sold it cause i never wore it anymore..LOL

Good grief, Hideman, you find everything funny.

I love the Douglas. I was lucky to score one. I use it whenever I can. But it is not as safe as the Wilson Gold at speeds of 90 m.p.h. and over. There's a gap between the shoulder cap and the clavicle plate on the Douglas. That area on the Wilson Gold is covered (same with the Platinum). I was wearing a Douglas while doing a fall intrasquad game in 2009 with the No. 1 pick in the country throwing 98 m.p.h. I took one of those 98 m.p.h. deliveries fouled right in that gap. The two plates caved in and I was given a bone bruise that looked like a plum. It left a bump that I have to this day.

If you've had no trouble doing high-level ball while wearing a Douglas, then you're lucky, not smart. If I went back out there after that experience and the resultant injury, I would be quite stupid. But I'm not, so I wear a Gold. If something comes along that's better (the All-Star?), I'll use that. The Douglas has its place, and that's where I use it.

L ... O ... L