Facebook discussion: 1 or 2 ball bags

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2987 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

There's a Facebook discussion going on in an umpire page that has me completely baffled!

It's a photo of an enthusiastic umpire jumping in the air, ....it appears while calling a strike three.  Someone commented on how stupid it looked (true) but also said, .... "no plate shoes, and only one ball bag, what level league is this?"   And then the discussion/argument started.

Higher levels of baseball should have plate umpires using 2 ball-bags .....was basically the gist .....

I'm leaving my opinion out for a while, but ..... what say you?

Should you be wearing 2 ball-bags at higher levels?  Does it matter?

Go ........

First of all, who really cares?  That being said,  I will use two 98% of the time.  Sometimes in summer games, I will just use 1.  Like Grayhawk said, it's a personal choice.

Jeff, I agree "who cares", but ............ some people on this facebook page sure do ........ :no:

• Like 2

So lower levels where both coaches provide 2 ball each (4 total) There is no reason whatsoever to wear two. In HS and above where you can have as many as you want I'd say 2. I like balance personally. I would bring 7 out of the locker room. 3 right 3 left and one on the rubber! lol who am I kidding. I never got that steak dinner! It's a silly argument though. I mean honestly. Other than aesthetics... The only logical argument to only having one is that you'd be asking for more baseballs more often...

I use 2. I keep the balls given by each dugout on the ball bag facing that dugout. While I can I give the team at bat ball to the pitcher. But, seriously this thread must be move to the Umpire Equipment section.

It's not a discussion about equipment per say .... it's about wearing them ..... and a stupid discussion on facebook, that's why I put it here .... sorry :(

This stems back to aways in MLB baseball.  It used to help indicate after the strike if you where a AL vs NL guy.  Also it was a indicator that you went to Harry's vs Jimmy's school.  You'll see alot of ex-MiLB guys doing it.  So now there has become a stigma against guys in higher levels who haven't earned the right to that distinction.  Is it a personal preference yes, however understanding at the high levels that this might be seen by others is important.  I use two for the simple fact that I can't have any misperception from anyone with it.  It makes it easier and doesn't draw undue attention.  Whether your tall or short, ex pro/amatuer, in LL or College.  2 ball bags is the conservative route to go.

Sorry for being so brief.

I start the game with 6 baseballs.  I signal to the home team dugout when I get down to 2 baseballs for them to bring me 4 more.  We can't play without baseballs, so it is important to keep a ball in the game to keep the game moving.

I start and try to keep 6 baseballs throughout the game, I can't put 6 baseballs in 1 ball bag.

• Like 1

Typically I use two... just like the balance.

If I am working a game where I know for a fact 3 balls are all I am going to get (LL for instance) then I will typically use one bag only. Anything higher then two is my default.since we normally can get 4-6 balls.

Plus I need somewhere to keep my keys, wallet, phone, iPad, water, snack, sun screen, spare batteries for phone and so on and so forth.

• Like 1

I've experimented this past season and have settled on wearing three.  One on each side, and one in the back like a fanny pack.  I tried a fourth in front, but it looked too much like a loin cloth and one of the parents complained to my association that I appeared culturally insensitive, so they made me take it off :angry:.  Fine.  I was willing to make that concession, but not without an argument.

So in my right bag, I keep baseballs and my brush.  In the left I keep a facecloth, spare clicker (yes, I said it!) and my watch.  In the rear I have a collection of autographed Glamour Shots that I pass out to any attractive single moms in the stands between innings. So far I've been arrested once, slapped twice and got a fake phone number for my efforts.  I'll keep at it, though, because I'm no quitter.

• Like 12