Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4285 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Guys, can we now agee to calk the black shirts; "No Stripe", "One Stripe", and "Two Stripes"? I work with 40-50 different partners a year and it's tough enough now to clarify which black shirt we'll be wearing.

Posted

All I can say is I'll be damned if I'm spending almost $40 plus S & H on a solid black polo shirt. I'll start to do my umpire shopping at Wal-Mart or Target.

  • Like 7
Posted

These new shirts just don't look as official in my opinion.

@KenBAZ When your gifted plate pants get partially destroyed because you didn't read the care instructions properly and you have a game that afternoon, gray slacks from Wally World sound a lot better than no pants at all.

  • Like 1
Posted

golf shirts for me on the bases when we work together stu.

Which is how we usually do it.

Posted

ave put on a few pounds. Other umpires were terrified that one of the buttons would pop off and put an eye out.

These new shirts just don't look as official in my opinion.

@KenBAZ When your gifted plate pants get partially destroyed because you didn't read the care instructions properly and you have a game that afternoon, gray slacks from Wally World sound a lot better than no pants at all.

Have a fellow I umpire with who refused to get pleated slacks because he didn't think they looked official. Then he refused to get proper sized shirts because he refused to admit he might have put on a few pounds. Other umpires were terrified that one of the buttons would pop off and put an eye out.

Posted

Ok fellas, what shirts ARE you wearing? Where do you get them, how much?

 

Thanks to internet & Ebay, here in France we can buy Umpire items for a correct price. If you buy in France, you'll have to spend almost 40$ for a simple Smitty shirt.

 

I buy everything in the US. Shipping is awesome, but with US prices for the items, this is still less expensive than buying directly in Europe. The inconvenient is that i have to order several things if i want to have a correct price..If i just order the MLB umpire shirt, i'll have to pay more for shipping than the shirt's price ....

 

I use to say that i wasn't born in the right country....;sniff...... :crybaby2:  :crybaby2:  :crybaby2:

Posted

Another example: Honigs.

If i buy on the Honigs european website, prices will be the same as in the USA, but in euros.....

ex: Wilson WV platinium: 149.95 $ on Honigs US, and 149.95 euros on Honigs Europe (182 $...)

Posted

Do you guys wear Wallmart grey slacks on the bases?

Walmart? No. But I have seen drawers at Sears that can pass as charcoal base pants, for $20, and no one would blink twice. The only tell was the width of the belt loops.

 

As for those new shirts, man, they're quite dull. You're paying at least double for the silk screened Majestic logo. Fabulous.

 

And who the hell has been designing umpire uniforms for the last, oh, 100 years? This garbage we're forced to wear is so ugly, and so unathletic, it's sad.

 

What needs to happen is one of two things: The MLB guys need a Nike or Reebok deal, and get a snappy wardrobe change (this Majestic crap has run its course). Or, Little League Baseball needs to do the same, since they have the largest amount of baseball umpires on the planet, translating to the biggest potential customer base.

 

Now, if say Ump Attire were to be the Official Supplier to Williamsport, and created a new, and unique shirt, they'd corner the largest market there is, and drive sales from the bottom up, rather than the rest of us following the MLB "standard" year after year.

 

The only unique uniform I've ever seen is USSSA5100-2T.jpg?1390993500 You may not like it, but it's at least a little different.

  • Like 2
Posted

@grozzly So what are you saying? You need us to help you in a war again? :wave:

'Tis but a scratch.

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time...

  • Like 2
Posted

 

Do you guys wear Wallmart grey slacks on the bases?

Walmart? No. But I have seen drawers at Sears that can pass as charcoal base pants, for $20, and no one would blink twice. The only tell was the width of the belt loops.

 

As for those new shirts, man, they're quite dull. You're paying at least double for the silk screened Majestic logo. Fabulous.

 

And who the hell has been designing umpire uniforms for the last, oh, 100 years? This garbage we're forced to wear is so ugly, and so unathletic, it's sad.

 

What needs to happen is one of two things: The MLB guys need a Nike or Reebok deal, and get a snappy wardrobe change (this Majestic crap has run its course). Or, Little League Baseball needs to do the same, since they have the largest amount of baseball umpires on the planet, translating to the biggest potential customer base.

 

Now, if say Ump Attire were to be the Official Supplier to Williamsport, and created a new, and unique shirt, they'd corner the largest market there is, and drive sales from the bottom up, rather than the rest of us following the MLB "standard" year after year.

 

The only unique uniform I've ever seen is USSSA5100-2T.jpg?1390993500 You may not like it, but it's at least a little different.

 

 

 

The dreaded red.

  • Like 1
Posted

That is were i got started .. I worked USSSA for yrs, then moved to baseball.. then college.. I honestly think I couldn't umpire a Softball game.. 1st time a guy would yell about a pitch being called a strike , I would say " hey it's pitched underhand for a reason, hit it".. then Im sure there will be an ejection.

  • Like 2
×
×
  • Create New...