Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4285 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

The first five years I was in the Army we also wore khakis and "TW's"(tropical worsted wool in khaki/tan color). I sorely missed them when we switched. I wear khakis for work at least 3 days a week now. Five in the summer.

You wore a khaki colored leisure suit on the field for our game in Phoenix.

Nothing beats the old Navy "Tropical Dress Yankee".

I have to find my old copy of the Navy Uniform regs...

Posted

Showed up to a game one time with the knowledge that I would be doing the bases.  Guy doing the plate had SAGE GREEN.

 

There's really nothing saying that we have to wear a particular style or color of shirt – one stripe, two stripe, red stripe, blue stripe (Dr. Seuss eat your heart out) – other than two things; 1) a sense of decorum and honor to the game, and 2) an innate sense of at least an attempt to match any partners / crewmates you may have.

When you choose / are forced to work a solo game, how many of you really, honestly use the _same_ shirt you always wear game after game?

Those of you who answered "Yeah, Max, I wear the same navy blue shirt every game, solo or 4-some!", did so because you either lack capital to invest in additional shirts, lack creativity or any sense of style, or, worse yet, work for an inflexible organization that is headed by or constituted of fellows who are sticklers for rules and unilateral, by-the-book standards _and_ lack the aforementioned traits.

The problem isn't whether you wear a monochrome polo shirt that just happens to be sold in the golf section at Dick's Sporting Goods or a Ordered-from-Majestic-itself official MLB shirt. The problem is that there is an expectation that you have to match some partner that you'll only meet half-an-hour before first pitch (if you're lucky) and waaaaaay down on the list of priorities of things you've got to be sympatico on is your combined attire.

With that said, I have every color of traditional two-stripe baseball umpire shirt, courtesy of several manufacturers and vendors. I also have the MLB single stripe shirts (these are my go-to workhorses). Additionally, I have several UnderArmour, Nike, and Russell Athletic "polo" shirts that look smart and unique that I'll often tap on special occasions (the guys at CDP know about these on July 1st). I would _love_ to get or develop a Navy Digi-camo polo shirt. Heck, do a tan/khaki one, or a sage/bronze one. Throw thirty stripes on one, or take them all away (as they seem to have on the latest MLB shirts)... It doesn't matter to me! Variety is the spice of life!

I'll wear _anything else_... to avoid wearing navy w/ the red and white stripes.

I'll only wear black behind the plate (just love the way it looks) regardless of the temperature.  Maybe I should wear the Camo, American Flag, Green, etc.  Might take the attention away from my terrible strike zone......or so they tell me.   :wave:

Posted

I LOVE the new majestic shirts. got rid of that stripe (piping). officials are not the show, the less flashy we are the better.

×
×
  • Create New...