Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4289 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Do you guys wear Wallmart grey slacks on the bases?

Walmart? No. But I have seen drawers at Sears that can pass as charcoal base pants, for $20, and no one would blink twice. The only tell was the width of the belt loops.

 

As for those new shirts, man, they're quite dull. You're paying at least double for the silk screened Majestic logo. Fabulous.

 

And who the hell has been designing umpire uniforms for the last, oh, 100 years? This garbage we're forced to wear is so ugly, and so unathletic, it's sad.

 

What needs to happen is one of two things: The MLB guys need a Nike or Reebok deal, and get a snappy wardrobe change (this Majestic crap has run its course). Or, Little League Baseball needs to do the same, since they have the largest amount of baseball umpires on the planet, translating to the biggest potential customer base.

 

Now, if say Ump Attire were to be the Official Supplier to Williamsport, and created a new, and unique shirt, they'd corner the largest market there is, and drive sales from the bottom up, rather than the rest of us following the MLB "standard" year after year.

 

The only unique uniform I've ever seen is USSSA5100-2T.jpg?1390993500 You may not like it, but it's at least a little different.

Definitely always hated those, but luckily I have never spotted anyone actually working in it yet.

Posted

You don't have to like it, and I don't care for red shirts, either. But it is different, and not that same boring crap that's been shoved in our bags for the last 20 years.

 

And as much as I don't like The Official's Choice business model(sell a bunch of cheap shirts, then jack up the price down the road), or some of their design choices, they are at least running things up the flag pole. (And no, I will not wear that garish flag shirt of theirs). Their first model Maroon shirt is still one of favorites. Classy color, that didn't draw attention to you. Too bad it didn't catch on.

 

What would I like? A digital camouflage would sell well. Either the desert, or Navy. TOC camo designs look they've stolen them from the Swedish Army. Some sort of green, like the color of the grass, would seem logical, as we really don't need to stand out. Black is a slimming color, which a lot of umpires seem to need (why is that? Our demographic is overly large). White shows our gear underneath, but we need a light color for hot days. Cream has never gone with gray pants, and the light blue is tired. The old +POS silver was a nice color.

 

What would you guys like to see?

Posted

A lighter gray shirt might be nice. Lighter than the pants but dark enough to cover the gear, and maybe black detailing. Sort of like these.

mEqioNSq7NB02Ux-bZ48qTQ.jpg

  • Like 1
Posted

I love the gray. It's one my faves.

That sentence is one letter off from making you sound like an indie white girl.

But yes. The gray is nice. I wonder why those gray MLB shirts exist if they never use them?

Posted

You don't have to like it, and I don't care for red shirts, either. But it is different, and not that same boring crap that's been shoved in our bags for the last 20 years.

And as much as I don't like The Official's Choice business model(sell a bunch of cheap shirts, then jack up the price down the road), or some of their design choices, they are at least running things up the flag pole. (And no, I will not wear that garish flag shirt of theirs). Their first model Maroon shirt is still one of favorites. Classy color, that didn't draw attention to you. Too bad it didn't catch on.

What would I like? A digital camouflage would sell well. Either the desert, or Navy. TOC camo designs look they've stolen them from the Swedish Army. Some sort of green, like the color of the grass, would seem logical, as we really don't need to stand out. Black is a slimming color, which a lot of umpires seem to need (why is that? Our demographic is overly large). White shows our gear underneath, but we need a light color for hot days. Cream has never gone with gray pants, and the light blue is tired. The old +POS silver was a nice color.

What would you guys like to see?

I'd like Orange or Yellow, maybe a forest like camo.
Posted

Orange or yellow would be a DISASTER. Too flashy. A muted green would be decent. But maybe I say that because I already wear green on the field. :shakehead:

Posted

I don't have a problem with the current (Not 2015) Majestic black and blue shirts. My favorite though is definitely the gray shirts. NBA officials wear gray/black shirts and they look sharp. 

Posted

I agree! The single stripe pro shirts are my favorite. Comfortable and they look great. It'll be nice not to have to buy a bunch of new shirts for a couple years!

  • Like 1
Posted

 

You don't have to like it, and I don't care for red shirts, either. But it is different, and not that same boring crap that's been shoved in our bags for the last 20 years.

And as much as I don't like The Official's Choice business model(sell a bunch of cheap shirts, then jack up the price down the road), or some of their design choices, they are at least running things up the flag pole. (And no, I will not wear that garish flag shirt of theirs). Their first model Maroon shirt is still one of favorites. Classy color, that didn't draw attention to you. Too bad it didn't catch on.

What would I like? A digital camouflage would sell well. Either the desert, or Navy. TOC camo designs look they've stolen them from the Swedish Army. Some sort of green, like the color of the grass, would seem logical, as we really don't need to stand out. Black is a slimming color, which a lot of umpires seem to need (why is that? Our demographic is overly large). White shows our gear underneath, but we need a light color for hot days. Cream has never gone with gray pants, and the light blue is tired. The old +POS silver was a nice color.

What would you guys like to see?

I'd like Orange or Yellow, maybe a forest like camo.

 

 

Oh no. Yellow attracts bugs (no really, Google it) and orange is just a weird colour for an official.

 

Plus, if you're wearing camouflage, nobody will be able to see you. :smachhead: 

Posted

Khaki would be interesting. A light khaki.

 

I think so too.  I have always wondered why we wear gray slacks, especially dark gray that shows so much dust and dirt instead of khakis which are much easier to buy and match and don't show dirt. 

 

I managed a league once, 13-15 year olds and used a lot of 18 year olds from my Legion team as umpires for those games.  It was barely above pickup/sandlot ability wise games so I had the umpires wear khaki pants and I provided the navy blue shirts (which MLB and high school and college were all wearing at the time) and the protective plate gear for them and they looked pretty good out there.  A couple of those kid/young men umpires moved into real umpiring I am proud to say. 

  • Like 1
Posted

I just purchased the Pink and Grey Smitty shirts, can't wait to wear them this coming season.

Posted

You don't have to like it, and I don't care for red shirts, either. But it is different, and not that same boring crap that's been shoved in our bags for the last 20 years.

And as much as I don't like The Official's Choice business model(sell a bunch of cheap shirts, then jack up the price down the road), or some of their design choices, they are at least running things up the flag pole. (And no, I will not wear that garish flag shirt of theirs). Their first model Maroon shirt is still one of favorites. Classy color, that didn't draw attention to you. Too bad it didn't catch on.

What would I like? A digital camouflage would sell well. Either the desert, or Navy. TOC camo designs look they've stolen them from the Swedish Army. Some sort of green, like the color of the grass, would seem logical, as we really don't need to stand out. Black is a slimming color, which a lot of umpires seem to need (why is that? Our demographic is overly large). White shows our gear underneath, but we need a light color for hot days. Cream has never gone with gray pants, and the light blue is tired. The old +POS silver was a nice color.

What would you guys like to see?

I'd like Orange or Yellow, maybe a forest like camo.

Oh no. Yellow attracts bugs (no really, Google it) and orange is just a weird colour for an official.

Plus, if you're wearing camouflage, nobody will be able to see you. :smachhead:I'm not recommending it, but it would be different at least.

Posted

 

Khaki would be interesting. A light khaki.

 

I think so too.  I have always wondered why we wear gray slacks, especially dark gray that shows so much dust and dirt instead of khakis which are much easier to buy and match and don't show dirt. 

 

I managed a league once, 13-15 year olds and used a lot of 18 year olds from my Legion team as umpires for those games.  It was barely above pickup/sandlot ability wise games so I had the umpires wear khaki pants and I provided the navy blue shirts (which MLB and high school and college were all wearing at the time) and the protective plate gear for them and they looked pretty good out there.  A couple of those kid/young men umpires moved into real umpiring I am proud to say. 

 

Yeah and Khaki is a Chief's Favorite Color

  • Like 2
Posted

There's really nothing saying that we have to wear a particular style or color of shirt – one stripe, two stripe, red stripe, blue stripe (Dr. Seuss eat your heart out) – other than two things; 1) a sense of decorum and honor to the game, and 2) an innate sense of at least an attempt to match any partners / crewmates you may have.

When you choose / are forced to work a solo game, how many of you really, honestly use the _same_ shirt you always wear game after game?

Those of you who answered "Yeah, Max, I wear the same navy blue shirt every game, solo or 4-some!", did so because you either lack capital to invest in additional shirts, lack creativity or any sense of style, or, worse yet, work for an inflexible organization that is headed by or constituted of fellows who are sticklers for rules and unilateral, by-the-book standards _and_ lack the aforementioned traits.

The problem isn't whether you wear a monochrome polo shirt that just happens to be sold in the golf section at Dick's Sporting Goods or a Ordered-from-Majestic-itself official MLB shirt. The problem is that there is an expectation that you have to match some partner that you'll only meet half-an-hour before first pitch (if you're lucky) and waaaaaay down on the list of priorities of things you've got to be sympatico on is your combined attire.

With that said, I have every color of traditional two-stripe baseball umpire shirt, courtesy of several manufacturers and vendors. I also have the MLB single stripe shirts (these are my go-to workhorses). Additionally, I have several UnderArmour, Nike, and Russell Athletic "polo" shirts that look smart and unique that I'll often tap on special occasions (the guys at CDP know about these on July 1st). I would _love_ to get or develop a Navy Digi-camo polo shirt. Heck, do a tan/khaki one, or a sage/bronze one. Throw thirty stripes on one, or take them all away (as they seem to have on the latest MLB shirts)... It doesn't matter to me! Variety is the spice of life!

I'll wear _anything else_... to avoid wearing navy w/ the red and white stripes.

  • Like 2
Posted

 

Khaki would be interesting. A light khaki.

 

I think so too.  I have always wondered why we wear gray slacks, especially dark gray that shows so much dust and dirt instead of khakis which are much easier to buy and match and don't show dirt. 

 

I managed a league once, 13-15 year olds and used a lot of 18 year olds from my Legion team as umpires for those games.  It was barely above pickup/sandlot ability wise games so I had the umpires wear khaki pants and I provided the navy blue shirts (which MLB and high school and college were all wearing at the time) and the protective plate gear for them and they looked pretty good out there.  A couple of those kid/young men umpires moved into real umpiring I am proud to say. 

 

Well, Jaxrolo, Bigump and I wore khakis for  many years and it was a real source of pride for us.

  • Like 1
Posted

The first five years I was in the Army we also wore khakis and "TW's"(tropical worsted wool in khaki/tan color). I sorely missed them when we switched. I wear khakis for work at least 3 days a week now. Five in the summer.

Posted

The first five years I was in the Army we also wore khakis and "TW's"(tropical worsted wool in khaki/tan color). I sorely missed them when we switched. I wear khakis for work at least 3 days a week now. Five in the summer.

You wore a khaki colored leisure suit on the field for our game in Phoenix.

×
×
  • Create New...