Gerry Davis New CP And SG Models

Yes, we're initiating a somewhat soft introduction of four new protective gear items. The launch will feature limited quantities for the entire range, with a significant portion allocated for the prototype field testing initiative we're in the process of rolling out. This year, our primary aim is to distribute a number of units, extensively collect feedback from both customers and our field testing program, then implement the required adjustments and enhancements. We anticipate broadening availability towards the end of Q4, early 2025.

CPs

There are two new models. The Apex and the DX.

• The Apex is a wrapped hardshell CP so the hard plates are not exposed (think Force3) that has a durable vinyl exterior and a mesh fabric interior. It's about 7/8" at it's thickest area (chest) and is roughly 2.55 lbs. Available in 12" or 14"
  • The DX is a traditional hard shell with exposed plates. Again with a durable vinyl exterior and mesh fabric interior. It's foam stack is about 5/8" at its thickest point and is roughly 2.5 lbs. Also available in Available in 12" or 14".

So both are fairly low profile and light weight designs.

SGs

There are two new models. The Apex and the SZ.

• The Apex is the higher end shin guard. Well contoured, removable/adjustable interior padding and available in 14.5", 16.5" and 18.5". The 16.5" comes in right around 2.5 lbs.
  • The SZ is a lower profile, lighter-weight. Available in 13.5", 15", 17" and weight right around 2lbs.

Happy to answer any specific questions but we're hoping that everyone (and thank you all for your interest) who was interested in the prototype field testing program will get to test something they wish from the list. One member has been extremely gracious with their time and feedback during early prototyping and if they wish to provide their initial unfiltered thoughts they are welcome to do so.

Apex Close Up

7C200806.webp?v=1711304229

Model wearing the Apex (6' 3" 220lbs wearing a large)
7C200257-P_0bf35bc1-f130-4068-9dd5-0e8d8

DX Close Up

7C200802.webp?v=1711304465
Model wearing the DX (6' 3" 220lbs wearing a large)
7C200237_96395fab-8176-4320-a9dc-c1c711f

I'm the one that's been testing out these new CP's.

The Apex and DX are both very comfortable CPs.  I'd say both will stand up to baseball (or softball) impacts without any question.  I haven't taken any major impacts yet, but I've had some punches and so forth to try it out and no causes for worry in my opinion. I only work up to Varsity and 18U baseball, so I am only seeing 85-90 top speed, or less, most of the time with rare exceptions.  

They both look pretty good under your shirt also. The DX looks very looks natural at the shoulders, no linebacker appearance here. I didn't have to size up for either one of these under my regular umpire shirt, they fit fine under my current shirts. The DX is very thin and offers a much lower profile that rivals F3 v3!   The Apex is a bit more round in the chest, think more barrel-chested, but still doesn't make you look any larger than most other CP's (Wilson Gold, Platinum, etc.) out there does. 

While I like both of these, I am a bigger fan of the DX.  I love the all black design with minimal logo appearance.  The neck, wings and belly extension can be removed.  I wear it without those on it and it is very comfortable with enough flexibility to be able to throw a ball back to a pitcher. 

It is lightweight too.  When using my UL harness on it, I forget I have it on sometimes.  It's very comfortable to wear.   The pad jacket is thin, yet somehow soft and supportive at the same time.  It's not hot in Ohio yet, so can't speak to how well it'll do in the heat, but so far it feels like it'll perform every bit as good as any other CP I've had - and I've pretty much had them all except the Power.

My recommendation is to pick up one of these models if you're in the market for a new CP.  I am not paid to say that either.  I sold all of my other CPs and have been using the DX mostly, but I do like the streamlined appearance of the Apex also.  Due to a bit more stand-off, the Apex actually provides more security than the DX - but I'm willing to trade the added safety for a lower profile personally.

I'll try to upload a pic or two once I get home.  If there is anything specific you'd like to see, just let me know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, DerekGDS said:

Yes, we're initiating a somewhat soft introduction of four new protective gear items. The launch will feature limited quantities for the entire range, with a significant portion allocated for the prototype field testing initiative we're in the process of rolling out. This year, our primary aim is to distribute a number of units, extensively collect feedback from both customers and our field testing program, then implement the required adjustments and enhancements. We anticipate broadening availability towards the end of Q4, early 2025.

CPs

There are two new models. The Apex and the DX.

• The Apex is a wrapped hardshell CP so the hard plates are not exposed (think Force3) that has a durable vinyl exterior and a mesh fabric interior. It's about 7/8" at it's thickest area (chest) and is roughly 2.55 lbs. Available in 12" or 14"
  • The DX is a traditional hard shell with exposed plates. Again with a durable vinyl exterior and mesh fabric interior. It's foam stack is about 5/8" at its thickest point and is roughly 2.5 lbs. Also available in Available in 12" or 14".

So both are fairly low profile and light weight designs.

SGs

There are two new models. The Apex and the SZ.

• The Apex is the higher end shin guard. Well contoured, removable/adjustable interior padding and available in 14.5", 16.5" and 18.5". The 16.5" comes in right around 2.5 lbs.
  • The SZ is a lower profile, lighter-weight. Available in 13.5", 15", 17" and weight right around 2lbs.

Happy to answer any specific questions but we're hoping that everyone (and thank you all for your interest) who was interested in the prototype field testing program will get to test something they wish from the list. One member has been extremely gracious with their time and feedback during early prototyping and if they wish to provide their initial unfiltered thoughts they are welcome to do so.

Apex Close Up

7C200806.webp?v=1711304229

Model wearing the Apex (6' 3" 220lbs wearing a large)
7C200257-P_0bf35bc1-f130-4068-9dd5-0e8d8

DX Close Up

7C200802.webp?v=1711304465
Model wearing the DX (6' 3" 220lbs wearing a large)
7C200237_96395fab-8176-4320-a9dc-c1c711f

These look great.  When will we know if we get to try a prototype if we filled out the form? I filled the form out a month or so ago.  I'm really hoping to try the DX and anything else you need information on.  

3 hours ago, spiffdawg7 said:

These look great.  When will we know if we get to try a prototype if we filled out the form? I filled the form out a month or so ago.  I'm really hoping to try the DX and anything else you need information on.  

We're shooting for mid-April. I will personally reach out to everyone who was interested. The logistics of this program is proving a little difficult to integrate with our current systems which is the hold up at this time but we're working through it as quickly as we can.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

The neck, wings and extension can be removed.

Interested in the extension - I have a long torso and like the extension on my Cobalt. I gave up on my Platinum which, while bomb-proof, made me nervous about my bottom ribs.

1 hour ago, ousafe said:

Interested in the extension - I have a long torso and like the extension on my Cobalt. I gave up on my Platinum which, while bomb-proof, made me nervous about my bottom ribs.

I'll try to get a pic when I'm home. I don't use it, but think it's very similar to a Schutt/Adams extension that Velcro's in place.

1 hour ago, ousafe said:

The extension does not have hard plate inserts.

7C200800.webp?v=1711304465

7C200814.webp?v=1711304459

4 minutes ago, spiffdawg7 said:

Does the extension make the chest protector 14 inches, or is there a chest protector that is already 14 inches and then you add the extension? 

Both sizes come with the optional extension which is 3".

• 12" + extension 15"
  • 14" + extension 17"
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Probably can't really tell us this. But are there any MiLB or MLB umpires that will be using either of the new CPs?

As far as I'm aware, no, unless they decide to buy it themselves. We haven't directly contacted any professional umpires regarding them.

On 3/27/2024 at 4:28 AM, wolfe_man said:

I'm the one that's been testing out these new CP's.

The Apex and DX are both very comfortable CPs.  I'd say both will stand up to baseball (or softball) impacts without any question.  I haven't taken any major impacts yet, but I've had some punches and so forth to try it out and no causes for worry in my opinion. I only work up to Varsity and 18U baseball, so I am only seeing 85-90 top speed, or less, most of the time with rare exceptions.  

They both look pretty good under your shirt also. The DX looks very looks natural at the shoulders, no linebacker appearance here. I didn't have to size up for either one of these under my regular umpire shirt, they fit fine under my current shirts. The DX is very thin and offers a much lower profile that rivals F3 v3!   The Apex is a bit more round in the chest, think more barrel-chested, but still doesn't make you look any larger than most other CP's (Wilson Gold, Platinum, etc.) out there does. 

While I like both of these, I am a bigger fan of the DX.  I love the all black design with minimal logo appearance.  The neck, wings and belly extension can be removed.  I wear it without those on it and it is very comfortable with enough flexibility to be able to throw a ball back to a pitcher. 

It is lightweight too.  When using my UL harness on it, I forget I have it on sometimes.  It's very comfortable to wear.   The pad jacket is thin, yet somehow soft and supportive at the same time.  It's not hot in Ohio yet, so can't speak to how well it'll do in the heat, but so far it feels like it'll perform every bit as good as any other CP I've had - and I've pretty much had them all except the Power.

My recommendation is to pick up one of these models if you're in the market for a new CP.  I am not paid to say that either.  I sold all of my other CPs and have been using the DX mostly, but I do like the streamlined appearance of the Apex also.  Due to a bit more stand-off, the Apex actually provides more security than the DX - but I'm willing to trade the added safety for a lower profile personally.

I'll try to upload a pic or two once I get home.  If there is anything specific you'd like to see, just let me know.

Will I be buying something else from you? You're killing me.

• Haha 2