Gerry Davis 94X V1 vs Smitty Performance Poly Spandex Pants

GoAn42

I'm thinking about getting a second set of pants. My first set are the Smittys. Does anyone know how the GD 94X Pants compare to them (fabric, cut, etc)?

I'm not sure, if I want to get the Smittys again. While I really like the fabric of them (super light and breathable), I'm not the biggest fan of the cut (base pants are too lose, seat of them is also a bit too lose imo) and I also had some (minor) quality issues with them right from the start. 

I might as well jump in here.

Smitty's: Poly/Spandex
94X V1: 300x300 100% Polyester

Our original (Classic) cut on the 94X V1 is what you'd expect from being designed over a decade ago. Wide.

We've revamped our whole pant line up for 2024, some of which isn't released yet.

94X V2: A refresh, offered in 3 different fits. Classic, Straight and Tapered (Base, flat front only on tapered)
Core Lightweight: 150x150 Polyester. Available in straight fit, flat front only.
BFX Pro: Replaces the MLB Pro which is more similar to the Smitty pant in terms of fabric. This will be a 100% polyester pant but it uses a proprietary yarn to mimic Spandex while dying better and fading slower in the sun. It's MSRP is will be well above the Smitty pant though. Will be available in straight fit. Pleated or flat front.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2024 at 10:24 AM, DerekGDS said:

Our original (Classic) cut on the 94X V1 is what you'd expect from being designed over a decade ago. Wide.

We've revamped our whole pant line up for 2024, some of which isn't released yet.

94X V2: A refresh, offered in 3 different fits. Classic, Straight and Tapered (Base, flat front only on tapered)
Core Lightweight: 150x150 Polyester. Available in straight fit, flat front only.
BFX Pro: Replaces the MLB Pro which is more similar to the Smitty pant in terms of fabric. This will be a 100% polyester pant but it uses a proprietary yarn to mimic Spandex while dying better and fading slower in the sun. It's MSRP is will be well above the Smitty pant though. Will be available in straight fit. Pleated or flat front.

Love seeing more representation from more umpire equipment companies! Hopefully you are as active on this platform as Jim Kirk has been.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 7:24 PM, DerekGDS said:

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer.

Is there a rough time frame already, when the BFX Pro will be released? That model definitely sounds very interesting and generally I'm more than willing to pay extra if in return I get a quality product.

5 hours ago, GoAn42 said:

Is there a rough time frame already, when the BFX Pro will be released?

Realistically, early April so late to the line up this year. There may be a slim chance of some trickling in mid-late March.

5 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Love seeing more representation from more umpire equipment companies! Hopefully you are as active on this platform as Jim Kirk has been.

Happy to be here and contribute to the conversations where I can!

• Thanks 2

Bummer. I was hoping for some more information as I need new pants this year and there don't seem to be a lot of options.

I need heather gray and from what I can find online, heather gray is dying out.  Seems like everyone is heading to charcoal.

Ump-Attire can't help me here. They're not stocking anything in heather except for some old Smitty brand poly-wools.  

And anyone needing pants for spring HS softball (and baseball) are missing out from the new Gerry Davis line described above.

On 2/11/2024 at 8:02 PM, DerekGDS said:

Realistically, early April so late to the line up this year. There may be a slim chance of some trickling in mid-late March.

Happy to be here and contribute to the conversations where I can!

I was impressed with the quick response and engagement from GDS in the last few years when placing an order and asking a question about something. Sure the Davis Fechheimer pants were a good idea - but guys gravitated to the Smitty poly spandex. Prob didn’t help they the MLB guys went with the Smitty and the Davis Fech pants were a little lighter color, a trim fit, and a lot more expensive.

Would gladly pay more than Smitty’s prices for an improved poly spandex type pant. Excited to see what GD comes out with. They seem to be trying to disrupt the market which is a good thing. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FranklinT said:

I was impressed with the quick response and engagement from GDS in the last few years when placing an order and asking a question about something. Sure the Davis Fechheimer pants were a good idea - but guys gravitated to the Smitty poly spandex. Prob didn’t help they the MLB guys went with the Smitty and the Davis Fech pants were a little lighter color, a trim fit, and a lot more expensive.

Would gladly pay more than Smitty’s prices for an improved poly spandex type pant. Excited to see what GD comes out with. They seem to be trying to disrupt the market which is a good thing. 

Purchased a pair of SSK umpire pants from Amaon.co.jp and absolutely love them. 

17 hours ago, UmpRandy said:

Bummer. I was hoping for some more information as I need new pants this year and there don't seem to be a lot of options.

We have revamped the HG line up as well. It is largely getting the same treatment as Charcoal pants but based on the last 3 years or so of sales data HG is on a steady decline. Much of the HG line up should be fully released in the next week or so as well but sizing may be limited. We weren't willing to take a huge gamble with all of the SKU variations. We'll be offering the newer Smitty stuff as well but it will all be special order.

6 hours ago, FranklinT said:

I was impressed with the quick response and engagement from GDS in the last few years when placing an order and asking a question about something.

We've gotten much better. I'll be the first to admit our policies, support, etc. were terrible for quite sometime and we cleaned house a bit to make more positive changes in our attitude towards customers and the whole experience in shopping with us.

1 hour ago, umpstu said:

Purchased a pair of SSK umpire pants

I cannot argue with that. They are a very nice pant as well.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I am enjoying the commentary and information from the man of mystery @DerekGDS

Curious on the logic of some of the naming conventions of these new products.  I had to search the GDS website to learn BFX is a type of material.  Names like that and 94X for certain lines of pants seem like they could be confusing.  None of those terms would register with me at first glance.  

Excited to see GDS shake things up and try to bring some innovations to umpire gear and apparel.  I miss the good ol days when there was some more choice and options in gear and apparel.  We have moved to a landscape where it seems like everyone is a Smitty retailer.  In Smitty's defense, their pants are being worn by MLB guys, and shirts/jackets/pants are being worn by MiLB and most large college conferences.

49 minutes ago, FranklinT said:

BFX is a type of material.  Names like that and 94X for certain lines of pants seem like they could be confusing.

Several of our product lines are transitioning to reflect fabric styles or features. For over a decade, 94X has served as the product code for our original pants, and due to its frequent searches, we've chosen to maintain its consistency. I admit that finding details product lines can be challenging unless you're directly on the product page. This is an area we definitely need to improve on the site among others.

52 minutes ago, FranklinT said:

Smitty's defense, their pants are being worn by MLB guys, and shirts/jackets/pants are being worn by MiLB and most large college conferences.

They have excelled in managing relationships across various levels, including states and conferences. While I'm not certain of the exact count, they have effectively monopolized partnerships with numerous high school associations, including those in Florida, Arkansas, Michigan, among others and good for them. They capitalized on the failures of competitors like Honig's, Gerry Davis Sports, and Cliff Keen over the last ten years.

Without delving too deeply into this topic, it's worth noting that states opting for a single master license agreement certainly do so for their own advantage rather than for the benefit of their officials.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

Any idea what the price point of the BFX Pro will be?

The official MSRP is not set but it is expected to be between $80-$100 so it would be safe to say $90 is a good guess.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@DerekGDS Is the rise on 94X V2 proportional to the waist or the same for any waist size. My size 34 combo is baggy in the crouch compared to my Smittys. I suggest a rise description or measurement in the specs or even a choice. Most of us don't cinch our belts at the bellybutton anymore although that's where my Mom would do it on me in the 50s.

@Jimurray The 94X V2 in the classic cut retains the sizing we have had for over a decade, longer than that I am sure. As the size increases, the rise increases. Every two sizes there is a rise increase of about 1" but the size chart does include the rise for all pants as well as the "true" waist size, thigh, and leg opening measurements.

The straight cut shares the same rise currently, but this is highly likely to change based on internal and external feedback for future runs. The straight cut combos are likely to see a smaller rise anywhere between 1.5" - 2" shorter than the classic fit based on the latest notes I can see.

I appreciate the feedback and I will add another vote for shorter!

12 hours ago, DerekGDS said:

@Jimurray The 94X V2 in the classic cut retains the sizing we have had for over a decade, longer than that I am sure. As the size increases, the rise increases. Every two sizes there is a rise increase of about 1" but the size chart does include the rise for all pants as well as the "true" waist size, thigh, and leg opening measurements.

The straight cut shares the same rise currently, but this is highly likely to change based on internal and external feedback for future runs. The straight cut combos are likely to see a smaller rise anywhere between 1.5" - 2" shorter than the classic fit based on the latest notes I can see.

I appreciate the feedback and I will add another vote for shorter!

Let us know when that happens. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 2:02 AM, DerekGDS said:

Any updates on this matter? I've been checking the Gerry Davis Honepage daily lately...

Material issues. We had to reject the first 3000 yards of fabric as it didn't pass lab tests for our internal shrinkage and tear strength parameters. It's so late in the season that at this point it will be a limited release that is now slotted for mid-late May (assuming there are no further issues). I expect no more then a few dozen units to be produced for release until Q4.

MSRP is officially going to be $100 USD. Available in plate and base only w/ expandable waistband. Fitted is being considered but not planned at this point.

Wish I had better news on the availability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/13/2024 at 8:22 PM, UmpRandy said:

I need heather gray and from what I can find online, heather gray is dying out.  Seems like everyone is heading to charcoal

Randy, I’m saying this kindly, and any ire or animosity you detect is not being directed at you, Randy the umpire, but at any “parent” association and/or Softball itself. 

Why do you need (still) heather grey??! Because your parent association / assigner is directing you to do so? To maintain some “uniform standard”?? 

Is that association or assigner providing the uniform items?? No?? Then they’ve got no say as to what specific items / colors / brands / tones / shades you wear, or more importantly… purchase. 

Associations – and this goes for Softball, too – have to get with the times. Everyone makes this big ta-doo about “looking like Major League Baseball”. All those uniform items are provided. Even in MiLB, those items are purchased under a directed stipend. Even in NCAA baseball, there’s a degree of friction between what the assigners expect, what’s provided (under stipend or otherwise), what the umpires actually purchase and use, and the assignments they receive. 

But outside that, especially at the amateur level, there is no way they should have that kind of grip and sway over us. It (whatever stylistic template the assigner or association PTB holds) doesn’t matter. Wear charcoal. Wear 3-years faded pants, especially on a 1:30pm JV game at a class 1 school in the middle of nowhere… no one cares. 

Heather grey umpire pants – that you were directed to purchase yourself – doesn’t mean you’re a better / great / effective umpire. It means that you’re fulfilling the direction (wishes, whims) of some stooges sitting at a desk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 4/19/2024 at 10:02 AM, MadMax said:

Randy, I’m saying this kindly, and any ire or animosity you detect is not being directed at you, Randy the umpire, but at any “parent” association and/or Softball itself. 

Why do you need (still) heather grey??! Because your parent association / assigner is directing you to do so? To maintain some “uniform standard”?? 

Is that association or assigner providing the uniform items?? No?? Then they’ve got no say as to what specific items / colors / brands / tones / shades you wear, or more importantly… purchase. 

Associations – and this goes for Softball, too – have to get with the times. Everyone makes this big ta-doo about “looking like Major League Baseball”. All those uniform items are provided. Even in MiLB, those items are purchased under a directed stipend. Even in NCAA baseball, there’s a degree of friction between what the assigners expect, what’s provided (under stipend or otherwise), what the umpires actually purchase and use, and the assignments they receive. 

But outside that, especially at the amateur level, there is no way they should have that kind of grip and sway over us. It (whatever stylistic template the assigner or association PTB holds) doesn’t matter. Wear charcoal. Wear 3-years faded pants, especially on a 1:30pm JV game at a class 1 school in the middle of nowhere… no one cares. 

Heather grey umpire pants – that you were directed to purchase yourself – doesn’t mean you’re a better / great / effective umpire. It means that you’re fulfilling the direction (wishes, whims) of some stooges sitting at a desk. 

Yes.  Agree. 

In my region (Washington state) the urban myth is perpetuated that softball is heather gray and baseball is charcoal.

USA softball (on their bad "officalgear" website) shows only heather gray pants, so I believe this is one of the sources of the myth perpetuation.  

Having just said that....I guess it's not a myth....USA softball wants heather gray.  

image.png.c32fd24a37f715779263c416230e0b40.pngimage.png.c32fd24a37f715779263c416230e0b40.png

ETA:  I wanted more than one choice.  I found the Smitty poly/spandex pants on a website I hadn't seen before....can't remember what it is right now. 

It's worse than that, @UmpRandy . . . USA will tell you that you can't wear any heather grey pants if you want to do a state/national tourney; you need their heather grey with the western-cut pockets.  I'm sure it is all about umpires matching and not the fact that you can (when I called, anyway) only get them from USA Softball.

It is nice to see our local softball bigwigs starting to say "charcoal is fine" in an effort to get guys to cross the line.

• Like 3

On 4/24/2024 at 5:33 PM, The Man in Blue said:

It is nice to see our local softball bigwigs starting to say "charcoal is fine" in an effort to get guys to cross the line.

👍 One of the first rules of change management: make it easy to change

• Like 1