Gerry Davis 94X V1 vs Smitty Performance Poly Spandex Pants

GoAn42

I'm thinking about getting a second set of pants. My first set are the Smittys. Does anyone know how the GD 94X Pants compare to them (fabric, cut, etc)?

I'm not sure, if I want to get the Smittys again. While I really like the fabric of them (super light and breathable), I'm not the biggest fan of the cut (base pants are too lose, seat of them is also a bit too lose imo) and I also had some (minor) quality issues with them right from the start. 

I might as well jump in here.

Smitty's: Poly/Spandex
94X V1: 300x300 100% Polyester

Our original (Classic) cut on the 94X V1 is what you'd expect from being designed over a decade ago. Wide.

We've revamped our whole pant line up for 2024, some of which isn't released yet.

94X V2: A refresh, offered in 3 different fits. Classic, Straight and Tapered (Base, flat front only on tapered)
Core Lightweight: 150x150 Polyester. Available in straight fit, flat front only.
BFX Pro: Replaces the MLB Pro which is more similar to the Smitty pant in terms of fabric. This will be a 100% polyester pant but it uses a proprietary yarn to mimic Spandex while dying better and fading slower in the sun. It's MSRP is will be well above the Smitty pant though. Will be available in straight fit. Pleated or flat front.

On 2/9/2024 at 10:24 AM, DerekGDS said:

Our original (Classic) cut on the 94X V1 is what you'd expect from being designed over a decade ago. Wide.

We've revamped our whole pant line up for 2024, some of which isn't released yet.

94X V2: A refresh, offered in 3 different fits. Classic, Straight and Tapered (Base, flat front only on tapered)
Core Lightweight: 150x150 Polyester. Available in straight fit, flat front only.
BFX Pro: Replaces the MLB Pro which is more similar to the Smitty pant in terms of fabric. This will be a 100% polyester pant but it uses a proprietary yarn to mimic Spandex while dying better and fading slower in the sun. It's MSRP is will be well above the Smitty pant though. Will be available in straight fit. Pleated or flat front.

Love seeing more representation from more umpire equipment companies! Hopefully you are as active on this platform as Jim Kirk has been.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 7:24 PM, DerekGDS said:

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer.

Is there a rough time frame already, when the BFX Pro will be released? That model definitely sounds very interesting and generally I'm more than willing to pay extra if in return I get a quality product.

5 hours ago, GoAn42 said:

Is there a rough time frame already, when the BFX Pro will be released?

Realistically, early April so late to the line up this year. There may be a slim chance of some trickling in mid-late March.

5 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Love seeing more representation from more umpire equipment companies! Hopefully you are as active on this platform as Jim Kirk has been.

Happy to be here and contribute to the conversations where I can!

• Thanks 1

Bummer. I was hoping for some more information as I need new pants this year and there don't seem to be a lot of options.

I need heather gray and from what I can find online, heather gray is dying out.  Seems like everyone is heading to charcoal.

Ump-Attire can't help me here. They're not stocking anything in heather except for some old Smitty brand poly-wools.  

And anyone needing pants for spring HS softball (and baseball) are missing out from the new Gerry Davis line described above.

On 2/11/2024 at 8:02 PM, DerekGDS said:

Realistically, early April so late to the line up this year. There may be a slim chance of some trickling in mid-late March.

Happy to be here and contribute to the conversations where I can!

I was impressed with the quick response and engagement from GDS in the last few years when placing an order and asking a question about something. Sure the Davis Fechheimer pants were a good idea - but guys gravitated to the Smitty poly spandex. Prob didn’t help they the MLB guys went with the Smitty and the Davis Fech pants were a little lighter color, a trim fit, and a lot more expensive.

Would gladly pay more than Smitty’s prices for an improved poly spandex type pant. Excited to see what GD comes out with. They seem to be trying to disrupt the market which is a good thing. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FranklinT said:

I was impressed with the quick response and engagement from GDS in the last few years when placing an order and asking a question about something. Sure the Davis Fechheimer pants were a good idea - but guys gravitated to the Smitty poly spandex. Prob didn’t help they the MLB guys went with the Smitty and the Davis Fech pants were a little lighter color, a trim fit, and a lot more expensive.

Would gladly pay more than Smitty’s prices for an improved poly spandex type pant. Excited to see what GD comes out with. They seem to be trying to disrupt the market which is a good thing. 

Purchased a pair of SSK umpire pants from Amaon.co.jp and absolutely love them. 

17 hours ago, UmpRandy said:

Bummer. I was hoping for some more information as I need new pants this year and there don't seem to be a lot of options.

We have revamped the HG line up as well. It is largely getting the same treatment as Charcoal pants but based on the last 3 years or so of sales data HG is on a steady decline. Much of the HG line up should be fully released in the next week or so as well but sizing may be limited. We weren't willing to take a huge gamble with all of the SKU variations. We'll be offering the newer Smitty stuff as well but it will all be special order.

6 hours ago, FranklinT said:

I was impressed with the quick response and engagement from GDS in the last few years when placing an order and asking a question about something.

We've gotten much better. I'll be the first to admit our policies, support, etc. were terrible for quite sometime and we cleaned house a bit to make more positive changes in our attitude towards customers and the whole experience in shopping with us.

1 hour ago, umpstu said:

Purchased a pair of SSK umpire pants

I cannot argue with that. They are a very nice pant as well.

• Like 2