Timing devices

BLWizzRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 451 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

6 hours ago, Jimurray said:

I was going to ask how a force would occur but it dawned on me that R3 could be hit by a pitch that was ball 4, probably more likely than being hit by a strike as covered in 7-11-s. So last year a non stealing R1 could advance on a force. This year he advances on the rule.

Other than what ump attire posted on youtube was there anything you had to do to your refsmart timmer?

14 hours ago, umpstu said:

Other than what ump attire posted on youtube was there anything you had to do to your refsmart timmer?

There is nothing else to do. I did label my 120/20 sides of the switch to reinforce which way I needed to flip the switch. 

I paid the $25 for reprogramming on Sunday (JAN 22) and within minutes received a shipping label to send it in, plus the tracking number for the return.  Put it in the mail on Monday morning.  Based on the tracking info, Ref Smart received it, reprogrammed it, and shipped it back to me all on Wednesday. It is scheduled to be delivered by Monday, but would not be surprised for it to get back early. Can't beat a one week turn around.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drtinphx said:

I paid the $25 for reprogramming on Sunday (JAN 22) and within minutes received a shipping label to send it in, plus the tracking number for the return.  Put it in the mail on Monday morning.  Based on the tracking info, Ref Smart received it, reprogrammed it, and shipped it back to me all on Wednesday. It is scheduled to be delivered by Monday, but would not be surprised for it to get back early. Can't beat a one week turn around.  

Nice. So far it hasn't gone as smooth for me. 

I also ordered Sunday night. Never got a shipping label. E- mailed them Tuesday morning. They re sent a label. Brought it to the post office Wednesday morning. Thursday afternoon I'm still waiting for the tracking to update. Tracking still  says label created, USPS waiting for package. Stopped in to the post office this morning to inquire. I got the old "Give it another day or so" line. I'm not feeling real confident about what the post office has done with my timer. 

21 hours ago, drtinphx said:

I should be getting mine tomorrow. 

On 1/26/2023 at 2:59 PM, Richvee said:

Nice. So far it hasn't gone as smooth for me. 

I also ordered Sunday night. Never got a shipping label. E- mailed them Tuesday morning. They re sent a label. Brought it to the post office Wednesday morning. Thursday afternoon I'm still waiting for the tracking to update. Tracking still  says label created, USPS waiting for package. Stopped in to the post office this morning to inquire. I got the old "Give it another day or so" line. I'm not feeling real confident about what the post office has done with my timer. 

Looks like the Post Office missed a scan on my timer. I checked today and not only did it arrive Friday, it's done and shipped out to be here Monday. That's great service. From promptly answering my email and re sending a label, to the turnaround time in reprogramming and shipping back.

• Like 1

Alright, we're now at a point where this needs to be asked... 

If I was to purchase one of these RefSmart timers new, today, what intervals would it have? 120/20, with a 10 second "thump"? 

Is NCAA Division I (and select Division II) giving a BU an altogether different device that controls the in-park clock display, or is this RefSmart box able to transmit to a receiver linked to the in-park clock display? 

Is professional (OBR) baseball implementing 120/20 with a 5 second "thump"? If so, how is that being timed, ie. does it involve the RefSmart timer? How? Is this the "original" model? 

I'm trying to avoid being compelled to purchase two different models. In the meantime, I'm sticking with my stopwatch (see above post), and figuring that for the Minor League Spring Training events I do find myself in, there's not going to be strict observance / adherence to the 120/20 - 5(?) rule. 

High School? I have no idea how they're going to implement it, so I'll stumble across that bridge as it's being built. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

If I was to purchase one of these RefSmart timers new, today, what intervals would it have? 120/20, with a 10 second "thump"? 

Is NCAA Division I (and select Division II) giving a BU an altogether different device that controls the in-park clock display, or is this RefSmart box able to transmit to a receiver linked to the in-park clock display? 

Is professional (OBR) baseball implementing 120/20 with a 5 second "thump"? If so, how is that being timed, ie. does it involve the RefSmart timer? How? Is this the "original" model? 

I'm trying to avoid being compelled to purchase two different models. In the meantime, I'm sticking with my stopwatch (see above post), and figuring that for the Minor League Spring Training events I do find myself in, there's not going to be strict observance / adherence to the 120/20 - 5(?) rule. 

High School? I have no idea how they're going to implement it, so I'll stumble across that bridge as it's being built. 

I believe anything that you buy right now from Purchase Officials, they are the ones who actually make the Ref Smart timer, will be of new rule compliance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

I cannot answer for MLB/OBR.

From what I gather from the clinic, there may be an assigned person to the clock. Some places may have a device for U3 to run the clock. It was mentioned that if there's a clock operator, pregame with him to make sure he knows the rules. 🙄. The ref smart cannot link to scoreboard clocks as far as I know.

We were also told carry your timer regardless in case of stadium clocks malfunctioning. 

Personally, I'm JC and D3 so I'd imagine I'm still a little ways away from worrying about a stadium clock.  

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

It will be programmed  at 10 and 20. The 120 side buzzes at 30 sec IIRC. 120 hasn't been close to problem in my games .  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Richvee said:

120 hasn't been close to problem in my games.

Likewise. For my independent pro games, the 120 is a minimum. We are contractually obligated to allow for 2 minutes for advertising. I've rarely seen the players consciously exceed that; typically, it's the stadium entertainment staff and/or groundscrew that causes us to exceed 2 minutes. 

I'm "anxious" (not really, but still) about how High School is going to implement this. If they take the NCAA route, with a 10-second ready-to-hit time, it's going to be... interesting. If they take the OBR route, with a 5-second ready-to-hit time, prepare for a s#!tshow. Those HS kids take forever getting a sign from 3BC and getting ready in the box anyway. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MadMax said:

If they take the OBR route, with a 5-second ready-to-hit time, prepare for a s#!tshow. Those HS kids take forever getting a sign from 3BC and getting ready in the box anyway

NCAA went from having the batter ready with 5 seconds left to being ready with 10 seconds left because they changed when the clock stops from “ motion to come set” to “ starts the delivery of the pitch”. They felt that if the batter takes 15 to be ready it’s not fair for the pitcher to stretch, set and start to deliver in 5 seconds. I get that. 

Here’s where I see issues  ( if it’s officiated by the book). Runners on, First pitch of the AB  won’t be a problem because the clock starts when everyone is ready. It’s the following pitches that worry me. F2 throws the ball back to F1 on the dirt. Clock starts immediately. Now Batter looks down for a sign. He’s got 10 seconds to get that sign, check his wrist/belt cheat sheet, and get back in and be ready for a pitch. Now 10 seconds go by and U3 is supposed jump in and yell “ time! That’s a violation on the batter. Strike!  “. Not looking forward to making that call. Sure hope my plate guy will be doing his due diligence speed up batters. 

• Like 1

I actually had a chance to try out both the RefSmart timer, and the new Robic Timer. BTW, I happened to be working a scrimmage with Ty from UmpAttire. He specifically mentioned that there is a new modification of RefSmart timer available as of February 5th that is for the NCAA/NFHS timing rules. Right now it is only available for purchase from Refsmart; 

https://refsmart.com/products/ref-smart-college-baseball-action-clock-timer-updated-for-2023

I tried out the Robic timer on the field. It has it's positives and negatives. The positive for me was that size. I actually had it in my hand the whole time and it was very comfortable (it's about the size of a 3 wheel indicator). The major downside I see with it is the positioning and size of the buttons. I'm going with the Robic because of the cost, and the ability to not have to reach to my belt during a pitch or play.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Products/M691/Robic-Universal-Official-Game-Timer

13 hours ago, Richvee said:

I cannot answer for MLB/OBR.

From what I gather from the clinic, there may be an assigned person to the clock. Some places may have a device for U3 to run the clock. It was mentioned that if there's a clock operator, pregame with him to make sure he knows the rules. 🙄. The ref smart cannot link to scoreboard clocks as far as I know.

We were also told carry your timer regardless in case of stadium clocks malfunctioning. 

Personally, I'm JC and D3 so I'd imagine I'm still a little ways away from worrying about a stadium clock.  

2025 it will be required by rule. The best way to think about this is it is the same as the shot clock in basketball. More than likely, we will have a clock operator with the scoreboard operator. It will be important to follow the prescribed mechanics for starting the clock. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thawk said:

I actually had a chance to try out both the RefSmart timer, and the new Robic Timer. BTW, I happened to be working a scrimmage with Ty from UmpAttire. He specifically mentioned that there is a new modification of RefSmart timer available as of February 5th that is for the NCAA/NFHS timing rules. Right now it is only available for purchase from Refsmart; 

https://refsmart.com/products/ref-smart-college-baseball-action-clock-timer-updated-for-2023

I tried out the Robic timer on the field. It has it's positives and negatives. The positive for me was that size. I actually had it in my hand the whole time and it was very comfortable (it's about the size of a 3 wheel indicator). The major downside I see with it is the positioning and size of the buttons. I'm going with the Robic because of the cost, and the ability to not have to reach to my belt during a pitch or play.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Products/M691/Robic-Universal-Official-Game-Timer

There isn't a need to. Just let it buzz. Once action relaxes, turn it off. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 10:35 PM, Richvee said:

Looks like the Post Office missed a scan on my timer. I checked today and not only did it arrive Friday, it's done and shipped out to be here Monday. That's great service. From promptly answering my email and re sending a label, to the turnaround time in reprogramming and shipping back.

Yeah, mine was delayed by USPS but it was delivered today.  It was shipped last Monday and returned to me today (Monday.)  As I mentioned earlier, Ref Smart received it, reprogrammed it, and shipped it back out all on the same day which is pretty amazing if you ask me.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Richvee said:

NCAA went from having the batter ready with 5 seconds left to being ready with 10 seconds left because they changed when the clock stops from “ motion to come set” to “ starts the delivery of the pitch”. They felt that if the batter takes 15 to be ready it’s not fair for the pitcher to stretch, set and start to deliver in 5 seconds. I get that. 

Here’s where I see issues  ( if it’s officiated by the book). Runners on, First pitch of the AB  won’t be a problem because the clock starts when everyone is ready. It’s the following pitches that worry me. F2 throws the ball back to F1 on the dirt. Clock starts immediately. Now Batter looks down for a sign. He’s got 10 seconds to get that sign, check his wrist/belt cheat sheet, and get back in and be ready for a pitch. Now 10 seconds go by and U3 is supposed jump in and yell “ time! That’s a violation on the batter. Strike!  “. Not looking forward to making that call. Sure hope my plate guy will be doing his due diligence speed up batters. 

They will get the message soon enough. I plan on enforcing the hell out of it since it was hammered into our heads at the meeting and the coaches and ADs wanted it. 

• Like 2

On 1/30/2023 at 10:33 PM, kylehutson said:

Meeting tonight and a D1 post-season ump said "How do you get a rule changed? Enforce it exactly as written"

This is 100% the truth. We need to stop officiating to the path of least resistance, especially on POEs, and do it as written. They will tweak the rule or remove it if it doesn't work out the way that they thought. But we will never know if we don't enforce it. 

• Like 1