MiLB Shake UP

UMP45
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1134 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

4 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Has a baseball commissioner ever been impeached???

:sarcasm:

4 hours ago, mw94 said:

Well sort of , Fay Vincent was fired & replaced by another owner (Bud Selig)

I think some Military history will lead to the answer to the question, before getting into anything dealing with the former right hand man for Giammatti.

And on second look, the terminology looks to be, forced to resign.

And here is how they will train players by analytics to get you to the show. They can just use the training compounds/complexes and dump MiLB altogether.

Then you just have the Atlantic League and several other Leagues absorb all the old cities and let MLB scout these Leagues for the diamonds in the rough they missed, and sign them and send them to the complex.

They can figure how to insert umpires into the equation using these Atlantic Leagues.

Maybe have umpires at complexes, until A ball level and then progress to AA  and AAA and then on to MLB, if they dump all short A Leagues.

https://highnoon.pro/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI77TUnZLQ5gIVRVIMCh1vOgeoEAEYASAAEgLrNvD_BwE

http://fireballpitching.com/#

On 12/25/2019 at 10:49 AM, dumbdumb said:

And here is how they will train players by analytics to get you to the show. They can just use the training compounds/complexes and dump MiLB altogether.

Then you just have the Atlantic League and several other Leagues absorb all the old cities and let MLB scout these Leagues for the diamonds in the rough they missed, and sign them and send them to the complex.

They can figure how to insert umpires into the equation using these Atlantic Leagues.

Maybe have umpires at complexes, until A ball level and then progress to AA  and AAA and then on to MLB, if they dump all short A Leagues.

https://highnoon.pro/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI77TUnZLQ5gIVRVIMCh1vOgeoEAEYASAAEgLrNvD_BwE

http://fireballpitching.com/#

Again, I'm going to draw a parallel to this and the corporate world.

:ranton:There was a time when, if the company wanted to roll out a new idea, or teach middle management  some new business approach, or roll out new tools, new tech,..whatever...We would have seminars, regional meetings, meet in person to learn these things and interact with company leaders, share ideas, etc.... head back to the office/store/whatever and implement the new ideas, tools or skills acquired at the seminars...... Something like playing a baseball game, learning from what transpired,and bringing that knowledge out to the next game.

Now, in the corporate world, the seminars, live meetings, etc are all but gone...Too costly...we can do this all easier on an I-pad...just do these new learning modules the company has put together to train you....Right....everyone rolls their eyes, scrolls through the modules as fast as humanly possible and pass some stupid quiz at the end that "proves' you learned the material....Yeah, One guy knows the answers and does everyone's quiz on the tablet. I don't know..maybe it's me, but this isn't working. I see it in my workplace, I see it every time I try to get decent customer service from a retail corporation, health insurance company, human resource department, loan departments at financial institutions...everywhere...None knows what  they're doing. Whatever I need done, it inevitably takes several calls and several people before you get to someone who knows anything.....Sorry...rant over... .....

However, I don't see it all that much different than this mindset..." No need for our future stars play baseball, interact with teammates, learn how to play the game...let's just make sure their spin rate is top notch, their bat speed is up there, the launch angle s correct, and they'll be ready for the show in no time. No need to learn the intricacies of the game, strategies, RULES...We'll just make sure your analytic numbers are top notch...it's cheaper than actually running baseball teams and playing games, and the new tech will make you a great ballplayer....:rantoff:

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 8:56 PM, Richvee said:

Again, I'm going to draw a parallel to this and the corporate world.

:ranton:There was a time when, if the company wanted to roll out a new idea, or teach middle management  some new business approach, or roll out new tools, new tech,..whatever...We would have seminars, regional meetings, meet in person to learn these things and interact with company leaders, share ideas, etc.... head back to the office/store/whatever and implement the new ideas, tools or skills acquired at the seminars...... Something like playing a baseball game, learning from what transpired,and bringing that knowledge out to the next game.

Now, in the corporate world, the seminars, live meetings, etc are all but gone...Too costly...we can do this all easier on an I-pad...just do these new learning modules the company has put together to train you....Right....everyone rolls their eyes, scrolls through the modules as fast as humanly possible and pass some stupid quiz at the end that "proves' you learned the material....Yeah, One guy knows the answers and does everyone's quiz on the tablet. I don't know..maybe it's me, but this isn't working. I see it in my workplace, I see it every time I try to get decent customer service from a retail corporation, health insurance company, human resource department, loan departments at financial institutions...everywhere...None knows what  they're doing. Whatever I need done, it inevitably takes several calls and several people before you get to someone who knows anything.....Sorry...rant over... .....

However, I don't see it all that much different than this mindset..." No need for our future stars play baseball, interact with teammates, learn how to play the game...let's just make sure their spin rate is top notch, their bat speed is up there, the launch angle s correct, and they'll be ready for the show in no time. No need to learn the intricacies of the game, strategies, RULES...We'll just make sure your analytic numbers are top notch...it's cheaper than actually running baseball teams and playing games, and the new tech will make you a great ballplayer....:rantoff:

An article right up your alley to start the new year.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/12/31/top-25-baseball-stories-of-the-decade-no-3-baseball-teams-become-cash-cows/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Yep. Some valid points.  Number one concern is profit over everything else, and whatever is the second concern after profits is a far far distant second. 

It’s a troubling trend in corporate America and it’s seeping into MLB. 

As such, it’s not hard to look into the future and imagine situations in which it begins to imperil the cow itself.

Well said... Look no further than the minor league contraction for one not so distant future  example 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Did anyone else notice the contradiction between "MLB franchises have become cash cows" and "MiLB needs to be reduced for financial reasons".

And then again, is it really a contradiction?

MLB doesn't financially need to contract MiLB in terms of being able to make money... only to make even more money. It's the same as corporations closing factories not because they aren't profitable, but not profitable enough.

Good grief, when the hell is it enough? The answer, of course, is never. Nauseating.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jms1425 said:

Did anyone else notice the contradiction between "MLB franchises have become cash cows" and "MiLB needs to be reduced for financial reasons".

And then again, is it really a contradiction?

MLB doesn't financially need to contract MiLB in terms of being able to make money... only to make even more money. It's the same as corporations closing factories not because they aren't profitable, but not profitable enough.

Good grief, when the hell is it enough? The answer, of course, is never. Nauseating.

Right there with you.

I've been on this bandwagon from page one of the thread. The corporate greed machine never ends. I'm seeing it again, first hand at my company. We cut back to emergency hours only during the lockdown, running on minimal staff. Now, as things pick back up, once we reach a predetermined number of units per week, we can call back employees and add hours based on a tier system. (hit "x" # of sales, add " y" # of hours) . The catch?  Once we reach the level of sales we had pre-lockdown, our hours allocation for our location is about 20%  less than what it was before this all happened.    Surprised? Hardly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Being in the heart of the Northwest League. It sounds like a lot of the teams are going away. However it sounds like my local team in Hillsboro, Oregon will be folded into the long season Single A California League. Which will be nice.

Also we lost our college summer season to Covid. But four teams have decided to "barnstorm" a season locally. So there will still be games to see starting the 11th of July.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A little more formal look of the new alignments from the last one.

Looks like temporarily they are going by Triple-A, Double-A, High-A, Low-A as the League names along with a directional term, with the jury still out on the possibility or old League names or even new ones.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/02/15/a-breakdown-of-minor-league-baseballs-total-realignment-for-2021/baseball/

3 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

Looks like temporarily they are going by Triple-A, Double-A, High-A, Low-A as the League names along with a directional term, with the jury still out on the possibility or old League names or even new ones.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/02/15/a-breakdown-of-minor-league-baseballs-total-realignment-for-2021/baseball/

I know for a fact that the old Long-A CAL League and the old Short-A Northwest League have switched season lengths. And since one of the teams is in a beautiful ballpark only about 30 minutes from me. That makes me happy to have local pro ball starting in April... hopefully. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

No mention of the AZL and GCL. Are they still going to have rookie ball leagues?

10 hours ago, tpatience said:

No

I did a little more research into realignment and came across this ESPN article. Don't know how accurate it is, but it sounds like there could be an AZL and GCL? Any more intel on this?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30887636/mlb-announces-changes-minor-league-structure-featuring-120-team-regional-alignment