Hit by illegal pitch

Guest KDD
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1762 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

What is the rule for an 11U baseball player that is hit by an illegal pitch?  The player is hit in the head by a "quick pitch" while the Umpire had called timeout for player to get ready to hit (umpire had hand up for time).  

31 minutes ago, Vegas_Ump said:

Hey!  The ball was NOT in play!  Nothing can happen.  A pitch cannot be delivered, nor can it count for pitch count rules.

So this can't be an "illegal pitch".  

But it was damn dangerous!  An umpire who does nothing (ejection or at least a warning) needs some churching' up!

Mike

Las Vegas

Yeah, not sure why so many are referring to this as an illegal pitch, because it wasn't.  If PU has the "do not pitch" hand up and a pitcher "balks" it isn't a balk either.  Whether or not it counts for pitch count I have no idea.

You didn’t bother to read any of the posts in this thread, did you, Mr. grayhawk? Counting your first post there were 25 responses to the original post on the first page of this thread and nobody called the play in the OP an illegal pitch. In addition, the question about pitch count was answered three times and yet you profess to have no idea “Whether or not it counts for pitch count...” Simply amazing!

The very first sentence of the OP asked, “What is the rule for an 11U baseball player that is hit by an illegal pitch?” I felt you just ignored that portion of the OP so I posted to address that part of the OP. In my first sentence I acknowledged that it wasn’t an illegal pitch as described in the OP. It was Mr. Jimurray who asked about whether or not an illegal pitch counted in pitch counts. I thought it was odd that he did ask that because that question has been asked and answered more than once in the not too distant past. It turns out he was just playing Gotcha or some kind of semantics game.  

20 hours ago, Jimurray said:

But in the OP an Illegal Pitch was not called. So was it a ball delivered to the batter? 

My fault, The OP was a little confusing for me, as he used "illegal pitch" , "quick pitch", and "umpire had called timeout" to describe what had happened. The "umpire had his hand up" part I guess trumped everything else?

Either way, discussing the illegal pitch was relevant considering the OP specifically asked "What is the rule for an 11U baseball player that is hit by an illegal pitch?" 

1 hour ago, Senor Azul said:

You didn’t bother to read any of the posts in this thread, did you, Mr. grayhawk? Counting your first post there were 25 responses to the original post on the first page of this thread and nobody called the play in the OP an illegal pitch. In addition, the question about pitch count was answered three times and yet you profess to have no idea “Whether or not it counts for pitch count...” Simply amazing!

The very first sentence of the OP asked, “What is the rule for an 11U baseball player that is hit by an illegal pitch?” I felt you just ignored that portion of the OP so I posted to address that part of the OP. In my first sentence I acknowledged that it wasn’t an illegal pitch as described in the OP. It was Mr. Jimurray who asked about whether or not an illegal pitch counted in pitch counts. I thought it was odd that he did ask that because that question has been asked and answered more than once in the not too distant past. It turns out he was just playing Gotcha or some kind of semantics game.  

I was asking if the OP, which was not an illegal pitch, counted for Little League pitch counting. I was at a tournament where similar was not counted. But a “ball delivered to the batter” seems to indicate the dead ball should be counted as a pitch in LL. But while it was delivered to the batter he could not deliver it back by hitting. But if the umpire called an IP the batter could hit the ball legally. 

2 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

On the contrary, I read every post in the thread and while the OP asked the question, "What is the rule for an 11U baseball player that is hit by an illegal pitch?" it was quite clear that the OP THOUGHT that a pitch delivered while the ball was not in play is an illegal pitch (which it wasn't).  So the rest of the thread discussing illegal pitches was essentially non-sequitur.

And while Jimurray asked whether it should be counted in the pitch count, he was NOT asking whether or not an illegal pitch is counted in the pitch count (it clearly is), he was asking if a ball delivered while it's not in play is counted (which is NOT clear whether it is or not).  And posting the definition of a pitch is not helpful because that definition absolutely assumes the ball is in play.

I like you better when you simply quote rules and interpretations without comment.

• Like 1

Guy's

We are all here giving our thoughts and feelings about something as a "brotherhood"

Try to remain calm, open to others, and respectful of their thoughts.  Remember we are here all ultimately for the players.  Do not let the charged climate of society boil over into this area would be my suggestion. I am sure we all surf "other" boards, but what I'm trying to convey is, keep this umpiring stuff as you would on the field. Don't let it fire you up.

Anyway good question and lots of good answers. Thank you all you more Sr. folks and thank you all you more sophmoric like folks too.

Like Rodney said "Can't we all just get along"

:D

• Like 2

@ArchAngel72, you're fairly new here and - according to your experience - probably new to officiating forums as a whole. What I say next is probably a shared opinion by a vast majority of people here.

The "brotherhood" you speak of carries off the field for most of us, which includes this forum. We've all laughed together, celebrated together, prayed (or your relevant method of wishing well on someone) together, even grieved together. We're diverse in all aspects of life: geographically, economically, politically. We have different levels of experiences, different desires on levels we want to work, and different abilities.

But we all have a common desire: to learn from other and to teach others. We want to better ourselves and learn from others who have the same passion for the craft as we do. We often discuss incidents that can't be answered by a simple rule cite. Threads can reach hundreds of posts, sometimes without a clear answer. We are the reason so many books are written to expand on the rules.

So while there may be a disagreement here, you can rest assured mutual respect and "brotherhood" will win out. Those who don't have that same desire as the collective group will eventually leave, making the group stronger. Please note this isn't a "conform to us or go away" mantra - it's a "don't be a dick" mantra.

tl;dr: We're getting along just fine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

nope I did,  As a matter of fact when we do it. My hand is going low on you to goose you just so I can wink at you and make you wonder too.  LOL

I *feel* like this is starting to take an ugly (uglier?) turn......

• Haha 1