Sign in to follow this  
BLarson

Pitcher substitution

Question

USSSA rules.   There are a limit on the number of innings (not pitches) a pitcher can throw.  Each out is considered 1/3 of an inning.

The starting pitcher has reached his max innings for 1 day and comes out the next inning and thows 3-4 warmup pitches before the coach realizes it and makes a pitching change.

Doesn't he  have to face 1 batter?   They could walk the batter, which wouldn't count against innings pitched.

Is this covered in 5.10(i)?

11 answers to this question

If it is anything like baseball, they must face the first pitcher (of the game) unless ill or injured.  If a substitute, they must face 1 batter.  I'm sure @Senor Azul will provide cite shortly.......

1 hour ago, BLarson said:

USSSA rules.   There are a limit on the number of innings (not pitches) a pitcher can throw.  Each out is considered 1/3 of an inning.

The starting pitcher has reached his max innings for 1 day and comes out the next inning and thows 3-4 warmup pitches before the coach realizes it and makes a pitching change.

Doesn't he  have to face 1 batter?   They could walk the batter, which wouldn't count against innings pitched.

Is this covered in 5.10(i)?

If not specifically mentioned in USSSA rules it falls to OBR, and I'm pretty sure this one falls to OBR, so he'd have to face the first batter...and would have to walk him to avoid going over the inning limit.

7.05.B.5 For all cumulative totals in this rule, one (1) out equals one-third (1/3) of an inning, two (2) outs equals two thirds (2/3) of an inning and three (3) outs equals one (1) full inning. A pitcher that pitches in a game and records no outs is not charged with any innings pitched

7.05.B.7 For purposes of pitching limitations rules, a pitcher is in violation of the rule if he records any out above the legal pitching limits pursuant to these rules. Rule 7.05.C.7 Exception: Exceeding the maximum innings allowed in the case of a double or triple play shall not be counted against the pitcher for the purpose of this rule but shall be counted towards the pitcher’s limits with regards to the eligibility to pitch the next day, etc.

This sounds like a safety issue.  They are limiting the innings to protect the pitcher's arm.  Ooops, bring me an eligible pitcher.

• Like 1

I'm reasonably certain that if it's an 'Innings pitched" or "batters faced"  or "pitches thrown" limit, that a change can be made even if that change would violate some other pitching rule -- at least in the rules sets I've seen. (I never worked much u-trip, and I don't remember those specifics)

47 minutes ago, johnpatrick said:

This sounds like a safety issue.  They are limiting the innings to protect the pitcher's arm.  Ooops, bring me an eligible pitcher.

The funny thing is, he can throw 180 more pitches and pitch to 37 more batters as long as he doesn't get any of them out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

The funny thing is, he can throw 180 more pitches and pitch to 37 more batters as long as he doesn't get any of them out.

I was thinking the same thing.

Is it easier than counting pitches?  I suppose.  Does it make more sense?  Ehhhh ...

Remember years ago when LL pitch limit for BB was innings pitched? 

Got to the LLBBWS on TV and kids were throwing 140-150 pitches a game and the commentators were saying how bad that was for a young pitcher's arm. Wasn't long after that that LL went to the Pitch Count for BB. 

Many (most?) leagues/organizations have since gone to pitch counts.

It's only been the past few years that high school moved away from innings and went to a pitch count.

NFHS 2017 Baseball Rules Changes

High school baseball rules now will require a pitching restriction policy based on the number of pitches thrown in a game.

The revised pitching policy in Rule 6-2-6 was one of six rules changes approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Baseball Rules Committee at its June 5-7 meeting in Indianapolis. The rules changes were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

Each NFHS member state association will be required to develop its own pitching restriction policy based on the number of pitches thrown during a game to afford pitchers a required rest period between pitching appearances.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this