noumpere

Reviving dead threads

Do you think threads should lock after a certain time?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think threads should lock after a certain time?

• Yes - After 3 months
    • Yes - After 6 months
    • Yes - After 1 year
    • No

Some clever programmer who builds this software should add a feature: reply buttons disappear from threads after a configurable interval.

3 hours ago, maven said:

Some clever programmer who builds this software should add a feature: reply buttons disappear from threads after a configurable interval.

And after a certain number of replies -- either we've answered the question, or there is no specific answer and it has turned into people just reiterating their positions on the issue.

41 minutes ago, noumpere said:

And after a certain number of replies -- either we've answered the question, or there is no specific answer and it has turned into people just reiterating their positions on the issue.

Yeah, but after four and a half years, someone's opinion is bound to change.

I pulled this off of another thread and added a poll. Would you like to see threads locked to new responses after a certain time?

4 hours ago, maven said:

I have the ability to do this. 

• Like 1

I'd say any thread with no responses for 12 months should go into auto-lock. 6 months may be too short, since something really interesting that happened in March may still be relevant or come up in fall ball that year, etc. But over a year? Start a new thread.

IMHO, reviving info already on the board makes sense in most cases.  I typically search before I start a thread to see if there is a answer to my question.  Sometimes I will find it and post for an added clarification.  

I know I bumped some older threads without noticing. I'm used to high volume forums and threads on the front page being at the most a day old. I voted 6 months. 3 months, especially in the off-season, isn't that old. year is too long. 

1 hour ago, scrounge said:

I'd say any thread with no responses for 12 months should go into auto-lock. 6 months may be too short, since something really interesting that happened in March may still be relevant or come up in fall ball that year, etc. But over a year? Start a new thread.

I understand your concern, but if it's that relevant a poster could always start a new thread — even quoting the previous thread.

Frankly, I'd like to see the window shorter than 6 months.

One quick comment: I do think this would be beneficial for the forums, but for reviews, I can see things being usefully commented on much later (e.g., "now that you've used this for a year, do you still like it?")

18 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

One quick comment: I do think this would be beneficial for the forums, but for reviews, I can see things being usefully commented on much later (e.g., "now that you've used this for a year, do you still like it?")

I agree completely. Maybe if a new version comes out, lock the old and link to it in the new one.

Is this really an issue? So what if the thread is old... Does that make the info or reply any less meaningful? How do you expect the new users to know who MT is?

I bet many of you when you were the newer users spent time reading old posts just to see how the wind blows on this board... I know many of you post on several boards and each has it's own flavor as to how the participants interact and reply to each other. Does having someone reply to an old conversation ruin your day so very much or make their reply/answer less important?

My $.02... seems like a first world problem to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

Is this really an issue? So what if the thread is old... Does that make the info or reply any less meaningful? How do you expect the new users to know who MT is?

That's a fair question. My answer is also a question: meaningful to whom?

Forum members stop discussing questions for a number of reasons, especially when it has been answered, when we've reached impasse, or when we get bored. New posters who come along almost never add value to old threads.

If one in a thousand had something valuable to add, the poster could open a new thread referencing the old one. That does not seem to be an undue burden, at least not until we begin to run out of threads.

I bet many of you when you were the newer users spent time reading old posts just to see how the wind blows on this board... I know many of you post on several boards and each has it's own flavor as to how the participants interact and reply to each other. Does having someone reply to an old conversation ruin your day so very much or make their reply/answer less important?

My $.02... seems like a first world problem to me.

It makes me want to punch a puppy...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Is there a reason we have to agree on this?  That is, if you don't like to read old threads, then don't, problem solved?

Or are we just afraid that a stupid person will get the last word in a thread that we don't intend to read again?

The problem is that they all show up as "new" as soon as someone re-posts, so "not reading" isn't an option (I don't know not to read it until I've read it).

Talk about a double-bind, especially for new people on the forum. 

The princesses complain when someone does not search for an existing thread, then they complain about reviving dead threads. Enough to turn out new members. 

I think to support and develop umpires, whether it be in Florida, Newfoundland and Labrador (got to add both now), Alaska, Arizona, or for me, British Columbia, the forum should foster a dialogue and inquiry about things that are relevant to anyone's stage of umpiring. They may not know that the princesses feel the topic has been beaten like a dead horse. It's new to them and they are looking to learn and connect, not to feel unwelcome into the fraternity. It's bad enough they get battered for wearing navy and heather, affording a $60 chest protectors and not knowing the difference between R1, B (P3) and FED/OBR

For the regulars, be understanding and supportive. The newbie you are ostracizing might be your partner one day. Instead of zombie threading the person, may be ask a question that can lead to a learning moment for another umpire. 

The princesses complain when someone does not search for an existing thread, then they complain about reviving dead threads. Enough to turn out new members. 

I think to support and develop umpires, whether it be in Florida, Newfoundland and Labrador (got to add both now), Alaska, Arizona, or for me, British Columbia, the forum should foster a dialogue and inquiry about things that are relevant to anyone's stage of umpiring. They may not know that the princesses feel the topic has been beaten like a dead horse. It's new to them and they are looking to learn and connect, not to feel unwelcome into the fraternity. It's bad enough they get battered for wearing navy and heather, affording a $60 chest protectors and not knowing the difference between R1, B (P3) and FED/OBR

For the regulars, be understanding and supportive. The newbie you are ostracizing might be your partner one day. Instead of zombie threading the person, may be ask a question that can lead to a learning moment for another umpire. 

Haven't seen a post where people just ostracize and never answer the question. Somebody on here will always answer it

58 minutes ago, ALStripes17 said:

Haven't seen a post where people just ostracize and never answer the question. Somebody on here will always answer it

Are you crazy? That's the dumbest answer I have ever seen. Sometimes I wonder why I even read this forum!!     :stir    :D   :insertevillaughhere:

• Like 1

Are you crazy? That's the dumbest answer I have ever seen. Sometimes I wonder why I even read this forum!!     :stir       :insertevillaughhere:

I'm taking my indicator and going home...

• Like 1

Newbies to any forum will conform. Every single forum on the Web has its own idiosyncrasies, that's just how the Web works. When I first joined, I was a newbie in every sense of the word (only a lot older than most). The thing that made me stay, wasn't that I could revive a long dead post, it was that the gentlemen here didn't pat me on the head, didn't patronize me, didn't talk down to me, but they were more than helpful even kindly helping me with the most rudimentary of Baseball questions and I got lots of responses. This is one of the most helpful forums I have ever been on. Asking a question that could have been answered long ago isn't poopoo'ed on here, except the very occasion gear question. Shoot, even now I have some dumb questions and there is always someone to point me in the right direction or explain to me why I'm off, and no one is ever rude or condescending.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Tksjewelry said:

Newbies to any forum will conform. Every single forum on the Web has its own idiosyncrasies, that's just how the Web works. When I first joined, I was a newbie in every sense of the word (only a lot older than most). The thing that made me stay, wasn't that I could revive a long dead post, it was that the gentlemen here didn't pat me on the head, didn't patronize me, didn't talk down to me, but they were more than helpful even kindly helping me with the most rudimentary of Baseball questions and I got lots of responses. This is one of the most helpful forums I have ever been on. Asking a question that could have been answered long ago isn't poopoo'ed on here, except the very occasion gear question. Shoot, even now I have some dumb questions and there is always someone to point me in the right direction or explain to me why I'm off, and no one is ever rude or condescending.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I think we are promoting the same thing: the forum being a learning space for umpires to support and connect with each other as part of their development as they progress in their goals of being the best umpire they can be. 

However, you will never know how many people have left the forum due to the way people reacted to the inquiries because, well they will just leave. I hope a Internet Forum's goal like this one is to be welcoming to all, and the only reason for being ejected is because a poster committed one of the four "P"s. 

I just can't figure out what reviving old threads comes under. It's not physical, not profane, not personal, not persistent. But hey, I did learn something from this Forum. 

3 hours ago, ALStripes17 said:

I'm taking my indicator clicker and going home...

FTFY

(ducks)

In all seriousness, the problem isn't people adding new ideas or asking for clarification. The problem is people jumping on old threads and saying "I agree with @XXXXX", and adding no new information. This is why I always lurk for a couple of days before posting on any new forum.

• Like 2