Should I have said something?

jlg1065
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2952 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm BU in "c" with runners on 2nd and 3rd. Batter hits fly ball down the right field line. The right fielder dives but misses the catch. My partner who is first base extended calls the ball fair. The play results in a triple. The DHC comes out from the 3rd base dugout arguing about the fair ball call. My partner defuses it and we play on. At the completion of the inning I'm in shallow RF and the 1st base coach walks past his box and proceeds to where his player dove for the ball, I'm guessing looking for marks made on the dive. He didn't say anything. Should I have said something??

4 minutes ago, jlg1065 said:

Should I have said something??

No. Don't trouble trouble:

1. You don't know what he's doing — you're guessing, and could be wrong (maybe the kid lost his Snickers™ or coach is stretching a sore muscle).
  2. He's not doing anything wrong by walking down the foul line, so what would you say?
  3. If you confront him, then you're the aggressor and responsible for subsequent issues. If he chases you into the outfield to argue, then he's the aggressor (and should get what he deserves).
  • Like 3

From Carl Childress’ BRD (2014 edition, p. 97):

Section 133 Coach: Assistant:  Appeals Umpire Decisions

Fed:  No member of the coaching staff who is not the head coach may leave “the vicinity” of the bench or coaching box to “DISPUTE” an umpire’s judgment call. (3-3-1f-6)  PENALTY:  Both the head coach and the offender shall be restricted to the dugout. “If the offense is judged severe enough, the umpire may eject the assistant and restrict the head coach.” (3-3-1f-6 Pen)

NCAA:  No assistant coach may leave his position anywhere (box, dugout, bullpen) to “APPEAL” an umpire’s decision. (3-2)  PENALTY: Warning/ejection.

OBR:  A coach may not “object” to an umpire’s decision based on judgment. (8.02a)

13 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

From Carl Childress’ BRD (2014 edition, p. 97):

Section 133 Coach: Assistant:  Appeals Umpire Decisions

Fed:  No member of the coaching staff who is not the head coach may leave “the vicinity” of the bench or coaching box to “DISPUTE” an umpire’s judgment call. (3-3-1f-6)  PENALTY:  Both the head coach and the offender shall be restricted to the dugout. “If the offense is judged severe enough, the umpire may eject the assistant and restrict the head coach.” (3-3-1f-6 Pen)

NCAA:  No assistant coach may leave his position anywhere (box, dugout, bullpen) to “APPEAL” an umpire’s decision. (3-2)  PENALTY: Warning/ejection.

OBR:  A coach may not “object” to an umpire’s decision based on judgment. (8.02a)

What's the point? Where in the OP did an unauthorized coach appeal, dispute, or object to an umpire's decision? It even says he didn't say anything.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2016 at 9:33 AM, maven said:

No. Don't trouble trouble:

1. You don't know what he's doing — you're guessing, and could be wrong (maybe the kid lost his Snickers™ or coach is stretching a sore muscle).
  2. He's not doing anything wrong by walking down the foul line, so what would you say?
  3. If you confront him, then you're the aggressor and responsible for subsequent issues. If he chases you into the outfield to argue, then he's the aggressor (and should get what he deserves).

What Maven said.  Nothing good can come from you saying something to the coach without knowing for sure what he is doing.

On 2/15/2016 at 9:39 AM, Rich Ives said:

What's the point? Where in the OP did an unauthorized coach appeal, dispute, or object to an umpire's decision? It even says he didn't say anything.

I agree with Rich Ives.  That will be my one agreement with Rich this decade.