Missed Test Question - FED

Guest Blueump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3320 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Blueump

Here it is, can you provide insight?

R1, less than two outs. A shot back at the pitcher deflects off the pitcher's foot toward first base. The pitcher chases the ball into the baseline between home and first. The pitcher arrives at the ball ahead of the batter-runner. As the pitcher is reaching for the ball, the batter-runner collides with the pitcher (not malicious) and both players fall to the ground. The pitcher gets up with the ball and tosses to first base for the put-out on the batter-runner.

Choices are basically obstruction, interference or incidental contact - play on.

Here it is, can you provide insight?

R1, less than two outs. A shot back at the pitcher deflects off the pitcher's foot toward first base. The pitcher chases the ball into the baseline between home and first. The pitcher arrives at the ball ahead of the batter-runner. As the pitcher is reaching for the ball, the batter-runner collides with the pitcher (not malicious) and both players fall to the ground. The pitcher gets up with the ball and tosses to first base for the put-out on the batter-runner.

Choices are basically obstruction, interference or incidental contact - play on.

The pitcher became the protected fielder again and interference should be called when the collision occurred.

• Like 2

You'd have to provide the exact response choices to get more detailed feedback about why your answer was incorrect (if it was).

The umpire must judge whether this batted ball was "misplayed" or "deflected." A misplayed ball does not entitle the fielder chasing it to protection: he had his bite at the apple and failed. A deflected ball is different, and one fielder may be protected while fielding it.

I agree with other posters that the play in the OP sounds like a deflected ball, and thus that F1 might still be protected. If the umpire rules that F1 is protected, then contact with the BR is runner INT: the ball is dead, the runner is out, and other runners return to their TOI bases. If the INT prevented a "possible" (read: likely) DP, then two may be called out (probably not applicable here).

FED 8-4-2g "A fielder is not protected, except from intentional contact, if he misplays the ball and has to move from his original location."

Remember that when we first saw the video of this play in NCAA half of us had OBS and half had INT (and half had "nothing" ;) ).

NCAA finally came out with INT.  FED has, apparently, come out with OBS.

• Like 1

Yet another difference between how Fedlandia handles baseball rules and situations versus the rest of the baseball playing world.  I think we should march on Indianapolis demanding change.   Thousands of frustrated umpires who work more than freaking FED baseball.  We are mad as hell and not gonna take it..........hahahahahaha!

• Like 2

Yet another difference between how Fedlandia handles baseball rules and situations versus the rest of the baseball playing world.  I think we should march on Indianapolis demanding change.   Thousands of frustrated umpires who work more than freaking FED baseball.  We are mad as hell and not gonna take it..........hahahahahaha!

Some of us are not good enough to work college ball. We are pretty much stuck in Fedlandia!

• Like 2

Guest Blueump

The exact answers were as follows:

a. obstruction on the pitcher; award BR at least first base and put R1 where he would have gotten had there been no obstruction

b.  interference on the BR, call him out and return R1 to first base

c.  incidental contact: play on

I interpreted the words "shot back at the pitcher" and "deflected off his foot" to NOT mean a misplay - but exactly that...a deflection.  He was then continued by "making a play" on the ball at the baseline.  The BR responsibility then is to avoid contact.  This is verified by the fact that the pitcher arrived at the position first and was "reaching for the ball" to make a play.

@JaxRolo

You work OBR don't you?   What ruleset does PG use?  I never looked.  I don't know what T-ball or Coach Pitch use either.  Please enlighten us.  (I've been talking with @Jocko too much) :fuel:

PG uses Fed Rules with a couple OBR mods.

That's exactly how I answered...marked incorrect.

i think the answer they want is OBS because it was not a "step an a reach"

The concept of a "step and a reach" is part of the philosophy defining 'misplay'. If a batted ball is still within a step and a reach, then I'm in the act of playing the ball and protected. If it's beyond that, then I have misplayed the ball and am not protected.

• Like 1

Another example of poor exam/test writing by FED.  As described it was deflected and not misplayed.  The OP/Test Question even states deflected off of F1's foot.   WTF?  Unless he kicked at it.  Which is not indicated in test question and could have easily stated so, you have a line drive back to F1, hits the guy and deflects over toward the 1B line.  Again.  WTF?

Another example of poor exam/test writing by FED.  As described it was deflected and not misplayed.  The OP/Test Question even states deflected off of F1's foot.   WTF?  Unless he kicked at it.  Which is not indicated in test question and could have easily stated so, you have a line drive back to F1, hits the guy and deflects over toward the 1B line.  Again.  WTF?

He should have caught. His fault.

Just kidding but it sounds like what FED wants.

Can a fielder deflect a ball to himself? I think that Fed believes that if the ball went off a fielder and he chases after it, then he has misplayed it. But if it went off one fielder and it's then being played on by a different fielder, it's a deflection.

Can a fielder deflect a ball to himself? I think that Fed believes that if the ball went off a fielder and he chases after it, then he has misplayed it. But if it went off one fielder and it's then being played on by a different fielder, it's a deflection.

If FED were to clarify this situation (I'd predict via a case play), I'm fairly confident what they would say: any contact with a fielder constitutes "playing the ball," even if it hits him in the foot or the back when he's dodging the batted ball.

We wouldn't want to require umpires to use their judgment more than absolutely necessary, right? Might bust something :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that this is the clip we're now talking about...

a. obstruction on the pitcher; award BR at least first base and put R1 where he would have gotten had there been no obstruction

b.  interference on the BR, call him out and return R1 to first base

The NFHS question is: Did the batted ball carom off the pitcher's plate or did F1 successfully block it with his right foot?  If you judge the former, interference.  If you judge the latter, obstruction.

a. obstruction on the pitcher; award BR at least first base and put R1 where he would have gotten had there been no obstruction

b.  interference on the BR, call him out and return R1 to first base

Guest Blueump

The NFHS question is: Did the batted ball carom off the pitcher's plate or did F1 successfully block it with his right foot? If you judge the former, interference. If you judge the latter, obstruction.

If you judge the former, you have a foul ball!

The NFHS question is: Did the batted ball carom off the pitcher's plate or did F1 successfully block it with his right foot? If you judge the former, interference. If you judge the latter, obstruction.

If you judge the former, you have a foul ball!

Well, of course.  I mean, everybody knows that.  I was just seeing if you did.

It's just another example of why I have to work with partners.  Hand me that napkin so I can wipe this egg off my face.

Looking at the video and seeing the questions as well as answers, I would have ruled incidental contact, play on.  Will check my test to see if I missed that one.  Based on what I saw in video, incidental contact.