Why oh why can't catchers do their job... like you know. Catch?

Mudisfun
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3241 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The storm trooper suit would be epic.  I would definitely suit up in the parking lot and then walk through the tournament to see the awe on the kids faces.  You can't discount the intimidation factor with the coaches as well.

"Game time...

Spread rules...

Any disputes of a judgment call by a HC will incur the wrath of the Galactic Empire.  Lord Vader, Head Umpire.

Any questions...?"

Although, the suit having AC might be the biggest asset.

• Like 1

Had the identical bruise but on my right thigh.  Inside pitch to a LHB, checked his swing and confused the normally very reliable F2, he totally missed it, took it flush on the inner thigh, this was 17U rec ball but this F1 throws very, very hard for this level (low 80's)

The bruise started out identical to this one, in size and color, but then turned into a bruise that kind of wrapped around my thigh, it was weird.

They say we are prone to blood clots from a lifetime of shots?  Is this true?

Ah! You have a Rawlings Rash, @UmpJeff! Was it a patch of Foiledus Foulicus or a Wildeon Pitchatme?

​Wildeon Pitchatme...6 of them...before there were two outs in the top half of the first inning!!!!

I should have known, too.  The catcher came out for the start of the game with the neck of his CP about 7 inches lower than it should be.  My immediate thought was that this kid doesn't know what he's doing and I was going to take a beating.  And, I did...

One off the forearm, one off the bicep, one off the gut (pictured above), two off the shins, and one off the plate shoe.  All before the second out!  

And this was a District HS Varsity playoff game.  All my partner could do was laugh and throw his hands up...:shrug:...and all I could do was take it like a man.  Don't get me started on the discussion I had with the F2...:WTF

Some days (and F2s...) are better than others!!!!!

Last night was my partner's first game behind the plate, 3rd game overall. He's 17(I think?) and this is 10U wreck softball, no stealing, so the catchers are usually one of the worst players. He puts on the league-provided catcher's CP and it's hanging down about 6" below his neck. I tighten it up for him and tell him he'll likely take a couple off the CP, so he should make sure it fits. The pitches aren't fast, but the catchers aren't going to help much.

First inning he takes one right in the area that was unprotected until I cinched it up for him. I could see a huge grin behind his mask that said "yeah, you called it".

Yea, but they look so freakin cool.  I don't have to hit anything and with the suit it wouldn't matter if they hit me.  Anyone else think a Stormtrooper/RoboCop like suit would be the coolest thing?  The more I think of it, the more I like it.

​Outstanding idea!

Just imagine the 'Death Stare' for arguing balls and strikes? Maybe with right hand raised and crimping index and thumb?

Vader_Force_chokes_Motti.png

​I find your lack of stopping balls disturbing......

• Like 3