Charcoal pants

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3407 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Looking to add charcoal pants to the collection this spring.  HS association is moving in that direction.

My Smitty heather gray's have held up well, so I checked out their charcoal edition.  Looking at the reviews on UA, it seems that the Smitty seem to fade pretty quickly.  (Even saw a review from Mike Taylor there).  

Anyone have any recommendations for charcoal gray pants?

Thank you.

Yeah, find out what others in your group are wearing.

Honig's polywools are the benchmark. They're not cheap, but are the best around, and will last a long time, if you take care of them.

The Davis pants are a different color and texture altogether. They just don't match anything else. I don't care for them, but if that's all my partner has, OR, I'm volunteering at a little kids game, where I'll work from a knee, I'll wear 'em.

Remember, long after the money is spent, you never regret buying the best.

• Like 1

Looking to add charcoal pants to the collection this spring.  HS association is moving in that direction.

My Smitty heather gray's have held up well, so I checked out their charcoal edition.  Looking at the reviews on UA, it seems that the Smitty seem to fade pretty quickly.  (Even saw a review from Mike Taylor there).  

Thank you.

I have owned two pair of smitty pants in charcoal, and three Smitty shirts for three years now, and the pants and shirts look just as good as the day I bought them. let me also add that in Tennessee for the majority of my season we are in 80-95+ degree temps with an average of 85-90% humidity. They are washed multiple times a week. I have to replace hats yearly due to fading and sweat stains, but the Smitty gear has held up very well.

Are Honigs Ultimates any good?

Spend the extra $10 and get the poly wools. Will last you a very long time.Dry Clean only though, not worth the hassle.

Don't get them dirty and you won't have to worry. Wish that were easy, in my league the ball bounces to the plate kicking up dust and you get alot of dust on your pants during games.

Spend the extra $10 and get the poly wools. Will last you a very long time. Dry Clean only though, not worth the hassle. Don't get them dirty and you won't have to worry. Wish that were easy, in my league the ball bounces to the plate kicking up dust and you get alot of dust on your pants during games.

You know how to avoid THAT problem? Sweep the plate more often...

Spend the extra $10 and get the poly wools. Will last you a very long time.Dry Clean only though, not worth the hassle.Don't get them dirty and you won't have to worry.Wish that were easy, in my league the ball bounces to the plate kicking up dust and you get alot of dust on your pants during games.

You know how to avoid THAT problem? Sweep the plate more often...Ball hit before the plate, next to the plate, behind the plate more often. I wish they hit the plate, hitters might swing at those pitches.

Thank you.

I have owned two pair of smitty pants in charcoal, and three Smitty shirts for three years now, and the pants and shirts look just as good as the day I bought them. let me also add that in Tennessee for the majority of my season we are in 80-95+ degree temps with an average of 85-90% humidity. They are washed multiple times a week. I have to replace hats yearly due to fading and sweat stains, but the Smitty gear has held up very well.

I have Smitty shirts as well as two pair of heather gray pants and they have held up great.  What I liked about the pants was that I could wash them out, hang them right up and they looked great.  I was hoping that the charcoal would wear the same way, but the comments on UA have me wondering.

The poly wool Smittys are horrible and a weird color, but I like the all poly ones and they are priced right-I have gotten them for as little as $20 new on Ebay. No fading on or failures on mine after about 100 games. The Honig's poly wools are really nice, but pricey.

I gently machine wash half my collection of Honig's polywools, and hang dry them. The other other, newer, ones go to the dry cleaner.

Honestly, although I was quite afraid the first time I ran them through the machine wash, they've come out like champs every time.

I did machine dry a pair once, and there was too much gray lint in the catcher, which translates to too much wear. Never again in the dryer.

Most of my plate pants need to be cleaned after every game. My base pants might go a few, depending on the conditions, before a wash.

I wore the Davis for a couple of seasons, as didn't want to pony up the extra dough for the p/w pants. But I got a deal on a big box of gear from a retiring MiLB umpire, that included a big stack of pants in my exact size. Yeah, there's no comparison. The moment you slip on a pair of those plate pants, with the lined double knees, you'll get it. Trust me on this.

• Like 1

Spend the extra $10 and get the poly wools. Will last you a very long time. Dry Clean only though, not worth the hassle.

I've yet to dry clean mine and have had them over five years.

The GD pants are a unique color and texture. Remember when The Official's Choice had a crack at pants? Same thing.

I will grant you that the term "matching" is a judgment call, though. I can spot those drawers from two fields away, while others can't tell right next to each other. And, some organizations don't care, and others do. As always, YMMV.

The GD pants are tough, well constructed, and take a machine washing like a champ. IMO, they're not that good looking, in comparison to the p/w, but again that's a judgment call.

In the pic below, some may see one color, but I see 50 shades of gray.

KSffvX2f.jpg

• Like 1

I remember the first time I slipped on a pair of Honig's polywool plate pants, over my shin guards. Up until then I really didn't think they were all that. But it was just like putting on my first pair of really nice, silk lined, Italian dress slacks. "Oh, now I get it. " The weight, how they look and feel, and how they hang, are just better.

Oh, I still wear Levi's, and Hagger comfort fit slacks. But given a choice, Armani suit pants are like butter, just like the p/w's.

Poly Wools are great, but are way too expensive.  I usually save them for "special" occasions.  They do look great with my black plate coat.

I love Gerry Davis charcoals.  They are bullet-proof, last forever.  I have a few pairs that are 4 years old that I'm still wearing.  Several umpires in the 2 associations I work have them and wear them so matching isn't a problem.

Smittys and other charcoal pants always seem to be a different color.