Umpire down

umpstu
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3699 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Watching Reds/Indians game and the 3rd base umpire got nailed with a line drive and had to leave the game. It either hit him in the kabeolsits's or right above them, but it unabated. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I also wear a cup on the bases - Nutty Buddy, of course.

Also, I tend to use not a "hands on knees" set, but more of a "hands on quads set" when I am on the bases.  I am very solid in this stance, and am able to react more quickly to lasers hit right at me.  Not saying I would have avoided this hit, but I feel much more athletic when in this stance,

OMG! Wonder when and if we will be updated on his injury/recovery?

I sometimes wear a cup on the bases. Did NOT yesterday for JUCO on turf. I WILL today for NAIA on grass. And entire rest of season after watching this video.

Took a foul directly to the cup while working the plate in an NAIA game last Friday wearing my Under Armour carbon fiber cup that was recalled a few years ago. No I'll effects. Written about it before. At least twenty shots there with that cup from D1 down to 12 year olds. So far (knock on wood). It is so comfortable I barely know I have it on. My Shock Doctor aluminum cup is so heavy and hot in summer/cold in cold weather.

I wonder if he was wearing a cup? If not, I bet he will now.

I usually wear a jock but not a cup on the bases (under the theory that I could quickly slip the cup in if I need to take over plate duties). Don't think I'll be quite so cavalier about the risk on the bases after seeing that.

I usually wear a jock but not a cup on the bases (under the theory that I could quickly slip the cup in if I need to take over plate duties). Don't think I'll be quite so cavalier about the risk on the bases after seeing that.

How often have you had to take over for the plate guy?

Ouch, that hurt to watch. Thankfully he got up pretty quickly. If nothing else this validates wearing a cup on the bases (and even if he was that still hurt) which I have done since my first game umpiring. I'm a big target so no need to live dangerously.

Sent using Tapatalk

I had a couple of games last year where the plate guy didn't show

So then wouldn't you just get dressd for the plate?  I too am confused by the "in case I need to take over quickly" part of your post.  If you need to take over, the "extra" time it would take to put on the jock / cup would be negligible.

That said, I always wear a cup on the bases.

So then wouldn't you just get dressd for the plate?  I too am confused by the "in case I need to take over quickly" part of your post.  If you need to take over, the "extra" time it would take to put on the jock / cup would be negligible.

That said, I always wear a cup on the bases.

Yeah, probably true. Just saves me the time of setting up a privacy shield in the parking lot, but that's really only an extra minute or two. 

Really a moot point now though since I am convinced to always wear a cup on the bases after watching that video.

Privacy shield?  I just let it all hang out.  Try to park away from the crowd, use the car doors, sit in a chair if fully nude but  If they want to provide me a dressing area I will spare them the embarrassment of having to look at my nakedness.  I ALWAYS ask for a place to dress.  Sometimes I win, Sometimes I'm naked for a brief moment.

Privacy shield?  I just let it all hang out.  Try to park away from the crowd, use the car doors, sit in a chair if fully nude but  If they want to provide me a dressing area I will spare them the embarrassment of having to look at my nakedness.  I ALWAYS ask for a place to dress.  Sometimes I win, Sometimes I'm naked for a brief moment.

Right.  Don't be too naked for too long.  (bumper sticker).

And the definition of both of those terms depends on where you are and who else is around.