Hybrid stance

Umpstradamus
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3706 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Is this one a dead horse yet?

Has anyone had to deal with it this season? Had a JuCo game where the pitcher went to this stance with a runner on 3rd. Partner balked him, twice. Coach about came unhinged. He said he has "had 7 games and nobody has called that!"

He obviously didn't read his 2014 college baseball preseason guide.

Has anyone had to deal with it this season? Had a JuCo game where the pitcher went to this stance with a runner on 3rd. Partner balked him, twice. Coach about came unhinged. He said he has "had 7 games and nobody has called that!"

Are you talking about the stance that Vander-Tuig used last year including the CWS and the other pitcher that showed up in the NCAA test also used last year?

Yes.

Are you talking about the stance that Vander-Tuig used last year including the CWS and the other pitcher that showed up in the NCAA test also used last year?

Yes

Yes.

Yes

Then, to quote johnnyg08, "it's going to be an issue until everybody balks it."

Aren't you supposed to warn first then penalize?

Good point. It's going to be an issue until everybody warns and then balks or balls it if it continues. Don't ask me about what i think about the FED and NCAA windup rules. I thought maybe NCAA had relaxed when I saw Vander-Tuig in the CWS. But no.

Good point. It's going to be an issue until everybody warns and then balks or balls it if it continues. Don't ask me about what i think about the FED and NCAA windup rules. I thought maybe NCAA had relaxed when I saw Vander-Tuig in the CWS. But no.

Nope. Hiler was hard core that we are then enforce this rule.

I dont think you heard right.. in Dallas we were to warn 1st, then Balk.

Nope. Hiler was hard core that we are then enforce this rule. I dont think you heard right.. in Dallas we were to warn 1st, then Balk.

Isn't that what the rule says?

I did too many leagues last year where they wanted us to warn balks all the way through. Which quickly led to "ignore them or we will be here all day". Which did zero for my development as an umpire. I hope to avoid those kind if games this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't like balk warnings! Just call it. If everyone calls it right off the start it won't be a problem very long

If your doing NCAA you have to warn and if it occurs again it would be an IP or Balk depending on runners:

SECTION 1. There are two legal pitching positions, the windup and the set.
Either position may be used at any time.
a. The Windup. The pitcher shall stand facing (shoulders squared to) the batter,
with the pivot foot on or in front of and touching the pitcher’s plate. The
pitcher’s entire free foot shall not be in front of the pivot foot.
From this position, any natural movement associated with the delivery of the
ball to the batter commits the pitcher to pitch without interruption or alteration.
The pitcher shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in the actual
delivery of the ball to the batter, the pitcher may take one step backward or
sideward and one step forward with the free foot.
PENALTY—Warning on first offense. Illegal pitch shall be called on
subsequent offenses.

I dont think you heard right.. in Dallas we were to warn 1st, then Balk.

We were told the same thing in Atlanta.

Nope. Hiler was hard core that we are then enforce this rule. I dont think you heard right.. in Dallas we were to warn 1st, then Balk.

Isn't that what the rule says?

Yes it does..

I did too many leagues last year where they wanted us to warn balks all the way through.

As soon as more umpires start calling balks, they magically start to go away.

Get the obvious ones. When you can warn, do it, but don't give the pitcher the advantage over the base runner.

• Like 1

I did too many leagues last year where they wanted us to warn balks all the way through.
As soon as more umpires start calling balks, they magically start to go away. Get the obvious ones. When you can warn, do it, but don't give the pitcher the advantage over the base runner.
Balks so far this year: Me- 12 Partners- 0
  • Like 1

As soon as more umpires start calling balks, they magically start to go away.

Get the obvious ones. When you can warn, do it, but don't give the pitcher the advantage over the base runner.

Balks so far this year:

Me- 12

Partners- 0

Mike is smiling at you from above.

• Like 2

MST bumper stickers:

• You just haven't been to the Mike Taylor balk school.â€-mstaylor

BUT -Mike also said:

• “Don't balk it if you can't explain itâ€. -.mstaylor

Jocko says:

• “It's not a balk if he does it every timeâ€.-Stupid coach-
  • “It is if he balks every timeâ€.-Jocko