2014 Fed Rule changes

mw94
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3764 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I gotta say, I like these. It's about time there's some specifics on malicious contact to help out newer officials and I like the POE on removing disputing a call from high school sports. I know they won't remove it, and baseball has historically tolerated more of it than other sports, but there's really no room for it in scholastic competition. I know FED gets a bum rap, and often deserves it. But on the whole I like this.

• Like 1

MC is now "contact that occurs close to the base..."  Really?  That will cause some problems.  I hope some of those "ors" it there were supposed to be "ands" or something.

It does read "contact or collision"...I agree with you. You know this as well as most on here...FED tries to remove all judgment from certain plays.

But, I will give the FED some credit. These are some pretty nice changes.

MC is now "contact that occurs close to the base..."  Really?  That will cause some problems.  I hope some of those "ors" it there were supposed to be "ands" or something.

I don't think so....they seemed clear that this is NOT an all-inclusive list or complete definition, just a starting point. But maybe the wording will get refined to qualify it as "often' occuring close to a base, who knows...it's a start.

While they were there playing with 6-1-3, I wish they would have removed the "entire" foot in front of the rubber part.

Agree, but it does make it consistent w/ the hybrid stance out of the wind up rule.

I like the addition of parallel. It's just that I would have liked to see that parallel pivot foot only have to have contact with the rubber, and not entirely in front of. In my limited experience it seems to be a rule that is relatively  unknown and enforced even less. 

• 1 month later...

From the NFHS website...

Why We Charge For Online Rules and Mobile Publications

In today’s electronic world, we are frequently asked why our playing rules for high school sports are not available online for free. Likewise, with the release of our rules applications as e-books, that same question is being asked.

The NFHS writes playing rules for 17 high school sports and annually produces about 30 rules-related publications. With more than 7.6 million student-athletes involved in high school sports, the NFHS and its 51 member associations in the 50 states plus the District of Columbia place great emphasis on the rules-writing process to minimize the risk of injury and to ensure that our rules are appropriate for high school-aged student-athletes.

There are costs associated with ensuring that the playing rules are reviewed and updated annually. Likewise, there is a significant investment in creating new rules apps for mobile devices. With the amount of time spent in the rules-writing process each year through meetings at the state and national levels, we simply are unable to offer these materials for free.

Some organizations at the college and professional levels offer their rules publications online for free because they have major sources of revenue in other areas. The NFHS is not fiscally able to do that. As a not-for-profit service organization, sales from rules-related publications and other services are the primary sources of revenue for the NFHS. Our member associations provide the strongest financial support for our rules materials.

We believe that our new e-books are a tremendous complement to the printed books and a convenient resource for high school officials, coaches and others interested in finding and cross-referencing rules. At $5.99, we believe it is a worthy investment.

Hopefully, this gives you a better understanding of our rules process. Thanks again for your interest in NFHS rules materials. 

• Apps: The Rules Apps are no longer being produced or updated
  • eBooks: All new rules books and case books will be made available in an eBook format. Fall sports are to be released soon.  Editions will be available for iBooks, Google Play books and Kindle readers.

The problem is I don't want to lug a Kindle or other E=reader around all the time. It is better than nothing but still a pain. Also, I was the electronic form of the books on their site is a royal pain. Why not do a simple PDF version that isn't downloadable like they used to do. Now you have the rules but you have to open article after article to search. You can't just skim the rules. I have learned much by skimming and finding something unrelated to what I was looking for but interesting. 

The problem is I don't want to lug a Kindle or other E=reader around all the time.

Kindle has an app for iPhone and Android. Problem solved! :)

So I can download an Kindle app to my phone and then download the book through it?

• Like 1

The problem is I don't want to lug a Kindle or other E=reader around all the time.

Kindle has an app for iPhone and Android. Problem solved! :)

So I can download an Kindle app to my phone and then download the book through it?

Right. Kindle app is free; content is not.

Buying the book is not a problem, buying the Kindle, more problematic. 

Except you don't need a Kindle -- use the Kindle app on the iPhone or Android phone.  

The bigger problem is that the case book and rules book are separate purchases and for football, they totaled $11.98.  Last year's app was $5.99 and that included both.

Except you don't need a Kindle -- use the Kindle app on the iPhone or Android phone.  

The bigger problem is that the case book and rules book are separate purchases and for football, they totaled $11.98.  Last year's app was $5.99 and that included both.

Yeah, I just didn't realize there was a reader app for my phone. Knowing that, the book still needs to be paid for. Without the app I would have to actually purchase a Kindle because I don't have one. Beside the fact I would have to spend a fair amount for it, it would mean carrying an extra electronic device I don't need. I already carry a smart phone and laptop, I would hate add a tablet. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I just didn't realize there was a reader app for my phone. Knowing that, the book still needs to be paid for. Without the app I would have to actually purchase a Kindle because I don't have one. Beside the fact I would have to spend a fair amount for it, it would mean carrying an extra electronic device I don't need. I already carry a smart phone and laptop, I would hate add a tablet. :)

I've stopped carrying my books.  I have them ready on my phone and tablet and I always have one (or both) when I'm at a game or meeting.  The books themselves stay at home.

• Like 1

I am no accountant so I will defer to those who are and read the 990 forms on guidestar

Here is what was on some 2011 forms

On total revenue of 12.6 million and expenses of 11.1 mil in 2011 Executive Director Robert Gardner made 251k, and 68k in other compensation. This compares to the LL bigwig making 347k and 77k other comp. on total evenue of 24 million and 6.9mil on total employee expenses. Seems like the head of NF should only make 175k based on total revenue. NF spends 3.871 million of the 12.6mil revenue on employee compensation and benefits.

Now, in 2010 total revenue was an extra 100,000 for 12.7mil in total revenue and Gardner only made 215k and 62k in other compensation, so he received a raise of 17% after losing 100k in revenue for 2011. Go figure. Make sense to me. Get what you pay for, not everyone can do this job etc.,etc.,etc. Of course he predecessor made 283k on 13.3 in total revenue in 2009.

NF made revenue of 5 million on 'publication sales' from Part VIII (statement of revenue) of the 990 from line 2b.

Part IX (statement of functional expenses) line 24a shows 'cost of goods sold' as 1.1 million or almost a 400% profit from the sales of publications. Now office expenses were .8 mil so that may be postage so drop the profit down to 250%

Travel on line 17 cost 1.898 mil of the budget.

as of 2011 there are total assets of 21.2 mil and net assets of 19.6 mil

Don't know if on 12.6 total revenue and 11.1 in expenses, if that were the totals every year from here on out, if there is much room for further discounts on the publications to make sure they would never get in the red.