Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4888 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

 If you want a pair of the UA/Hardwick pants get them now. They only have a finite number left.

 

That is a shame. Hopefully they can find another supplier.

Posted

I have a pair for the UA PW Plate pants.    They are really nice.   But I almost never wear them or my Honigs PW Base pants.   I save those for when all the MLB umpires get stuck in carmageddon and MLB makes an emergency call to me to do the World Series, or when I work with a "PW only" guy. 

 

Smitty's are just fantastic and an incredible value for everyday baseball. 

 

Personally, I think the UA PWs are a little over-priced and UA will benefit from having to source a different manufacturer.    I think the only tough part will be finding an exact match in color to Hardwicks/Honigs.  But smitty's did pretty well in that department.  I also heard rumors that Smitty's makes a PW pant and I have only seen the product on a Purchase Officials advertisement and not on their website. 

 

Here is a thread where Fittske saw the Smitty PWs and was not impressed.  But he says he was not impressed because they had the exact same cut as Smitty's, which I consider a pretty good umpire pant.   So these may work for some people. 

http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/26338-smitty-polywools/

 

All I know is the UA PWs are $20 more than the elusive Smitty PWs, so it is worth some research if you are in the market for new PWs. 

 

Also, maybe I missed it, but I thought UA was now the exclusive supplier to MiLB?   How can they supply MiLB if they can not get more pants from Hardwicks?   AND, I also heard that UA is having issues with its supplier that make it's Ultimate line of umpire shirts? AND, how come UA is not plastering the MiLB logo all over their web page? 

 

I am sure some of the above is wrong, so have at it. 

Posted

I have a pair for the UA PW Plate pants.    They are really nice.   But I almost never wear them or my Honigs PW Base pants.   I save those for when all the MLB umpires get stuck in carmageddon and MLB makes an emergency call to me to do the World Series, or when I work with a "PW only" guy. 

 

Smitty's are just fantastic and an incredible value for everyday baseball. 

 

Personally, I think the UA PWs are a little over-priced and UA will benefit from having to source a different manufacturer.    I think the only tough part will be finding an exact match in color to Hardwicks/Honigs.  But smitty's did pretty well in that department.  I also heard rumors that Smitty's makes a PW pant and I have only seen the product on a Purchase Officials advertisement and not on their website. 

 

Here is a thread where Fittske saw the Smitty PWs and was not impressed.  But he says he was not impressed because they had the exact same cut as Smitty's, which I consider a pretty good umpire pant.   So these may work for some people. 

http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/26338-smitty-polywools/

 

All I know is the UA PWs are $20 more than the elusive Smitty PWs, so it is worth some research if you are in the market for new PWs. 

 

Also, maybe I missed it, but I thought UA was now the exclusive supplier to MiLB?   How can they supply MiLB if they can not get more pants from Hardwicks?   AND, I also heard that UA is having issues with its supplier that make it's Ultimate line of umpire shirts? AND, how come UA is not plastering the MiLB logo all over their web page? 

 

I am sure some of the above is wrong, so have at it. 

I bought a pair of Smitty PWs off e-bay from purchase officials for 49.99. and free shipping.  I also opened up a bill me later account that gave me $10 off so I figured for 40 bucks I'd give them a try. They fit me well, and seem like they'll be rather comfortable behind the plate. Hopefully my scrimmage Tuesday isn't cancelled and I can give them a try, and get this season started already! 

Posted

For those of you that haven't seen it already, this was posted on their FB page a few hours ago:

 

We sincerely apologize but for this season we will not have Ump Attire brand POLY WOOL pants available to the public. Problems with a manufacturer beyond our control has left us with no choice but to use what 2013 pants that were made for Minor League Baseball. 

Remaining stock is available in limited size options. We are looking into carrying a value style flexfit from Smitty in the meantime and Honig's also offers a very good fitted poly wool pant. 

Again, our sincere apologies to those who love the Ump-Attire poly-wool in the expander waist band.

Posted

Glad that Jim updated the status. From the looks of the sizes they have left (40 and up) the minor league guys may have gotten what was left over from the 2012 stock in the smaller sizes. I know as of a couple of weeks ago they had a lot more sizes available.

 

I will be interested to see what they come up with for next year. I know that Honigs is a good option, but I have been wearing flex-fit umpire pants ever since I back in the game (5 yrs ago). It will be weird to switch when I have to.

 

I won't have to buy any this year, but next season I will hopefully need to buy pants in a smaller size than I wear now.

 

Now the only question remaining is when the Ultimate shirts will be back in stock. Love those shirts. For me it UA Short sleeve and Smitty Long Sleeve. I don't like the fit of the UA long sleeve in the arms (same for Honigs). Body fits great but the arms are tight in both of their LS offereings. I like the roominess of the arms in the Smitty LS shirts, but I have not purchase one since they updated their sizing.

  • Like 1
Posted

I have bought a few shirts etc. from UA. I love the short sleeve shirt as mentioned. I wanted to pick up a few shirts and a Gold West Vest from them this year but they were out of stock? It had me wondering what was going on at UA.

Posted

Glad that Jim updated the status. From the looks of the sizes they have left (40 and up) the minor league guys may have gotten what was left over from the 2012 stock in the smaller sizes. I know as of a couple of weeks ago they had a lot more sizes available.

 

I will be interested to see what they come up with for next year. I know that Honigs is a good option, but I have been wearing flex-fit umpire pants ever since I back in the game (5 yrs ago). It will be weird to switch when I have to.

 

I won't have to buy any this year, but next season I will hopefully need to buy pants in a smaller size than I wear now.

 

Now the only question remaining is when the Ultimate shirts will be back in stock. Love those shirts. For me it UA Short sleeve and Smitty Long Sleeve. I don't like the fit of the UA long sleeve in the arms (same for Honigs). Body fits great but the arms are tight in both of their LS offereings. I like the roominess of the arms in the Smitty LS shirts, but I have not purchase one since they updated their sizing.

The MiLB guys will not be wearing the expander waist pants. The pants being supplied to the MiLB umpires will come from Ump-attire's new supplier but will not have the expander waist per MiLB request. Most if not all of the new ump-attire poly wools will be distributed to MiLB staff. Thus no 2013 availability to the public.

Posted

Someone also mentioned the Smitty poly-wools available on PurchaseOfficials.com.  Has anyone tried these/liked them?  Their a decent amount cheaper than the Honigs pants, and I like that they have the expanding waistband.  

Posted

"Competitor Honig's steps up to supplement our supply of poly wool pants when 28-year US apparel manufacturer making Ump-Attire pants shuts down during production of poly wools verson 2013."

 

This is from UA's facebook website, sounds like the manufacture issues will effect honig's too if hardwicks shut down.

Posted

Hardwick's isn't shutting down.  The new company that Jim was sourcing for 2013 because he couldn't used Hardwicks is shutting down.  I'm glad to see Honigs step up for the brotherhood here.  Instead of the normal corporate screw you attitude. 

Posted

Very classy of:

 

1.  Ump-Attire to solicit help from Honigs.  I have talked privately with Jim and he has NEVER said a bad word about Honigs.

 

2.  Honigs to step up to the plate and help for the good of the game.

 

Overall, nice work to do what's best for baseball.

Posted

The MiLB umpires cannot be happy about getting Smitty shirts and jackets.

 

 

Many of them are in their 20's or possibly younger.  I'm sure they are happy to be in the minors, and hardly concerned about the brand of their jacket and shirt.

Posted

It is a classy move.

I am not sure what is going on with the manufacturing issues that UA is experiencing. I know that the previous owner of UA (Beluah Hester) is the one that has been manufacturing the ball bags and ultimate shirts in past seasons.

It sounds like he partnered with another company on the pants and it did not work out. Maybe they were going to become the new shirt manufacturer as well.

We will probably never know. Now Jim has a long time to get things ramped up for 2014. I am sure everything will be fine in the long run.

Posted

I agree. I don't think they care. Plus many of us buy Smitty shirts. I have never had a problem with them. I am not a fan of my Smitty unhemed jacket, but I think it is more of sizing issue.

Posted

Ugh.  The suspense is killing me.   I have to know why Smitty PWs suck so bad.

 

 

I ordered a pair of Smitty Polywools from Purchase Officials (diner30) on ebay for $50, free shipping , no tax.    I think that is a little cheaper than ordering regular Smittys from UA after tax and shipping. 

 

 

Stupid question - 

What is the difference between Plate and Combo pants?  Really, what exactly is the difference?

Posted

Stupid question - 

What is the difference between Plate and Combo pants?  Really, what exactly is the difference?

 

There is a diffrence in the leg/thigh opening. Base pants are usually 10" and plate is usually 15". Combo falls in between with 12.5". Also combo comes with the saddle seat sewn in like plate pants.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...