Wish list for next season

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4615 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Sorry, still doing games too. :2cents:

However, here are a few items:

New shin guards. I have the honigs and they are so wide at the knees. My other option is to heat gun them and mold them to my knees better.

Base shoes - something spiffy.

More shirts - I don't own navy or cream.

New poly-wool plate pants, putting numbers on some jackets and shirts, maybe another couple of undershirts. New black hats with various logos. I've found that the hats I wear behind the plate only last one season. Major shrinkage and stinkage.

I just bought a few things today: Plate shoes- call me crazy, but in 7 years I have never owned or used a pair. I've had several close calls on getting myself injured recently, so those were a must.

Hockey-style mask: Mine is getting old and as far as I know, Nike does not make replacement pads anymore. Ump-attire has masks on sale for 1/2 price right now ($40).

Combo pants x2: base pants to use in the pro school were not my size or not in a color allowed for Missouri in hs baseball. Combo pants fit my budget better anyway.

Belt: gotta have it.

Now I'm more broke than I was.

Just ordered the Jim Evans two umpire manual and will buy a copy of the J/R book this winter/spring. I already picked up a new pair of base shoes. I would really like one of the new navy Majestic Therma Base Jackets for next season (Santa/SWMBO can you hear me?).

I just bought a few things today: Plate shoes- call me crazy, but in 7 years I have never owned or used a pair. I've had several close calls on getting myself injured recently, so those were a must.

Hockey-style mask: Mine is getting old and as far as I know, Nike does not make replacement pads anymore. Ump-attire has masks on sale for 1/2 price right now ($40).

Combo pants x2: base pants to use in the pro school were not my size or not in a color allowed for Missouri in hs baseball. Combo pants fit my budget better anyway.

Missouri has no such rule prohibiting different shades of gray pants. You can wear heather or charcoal. Your association may have its own rule, but MSHSAA does not. I would not wear combos at pro school, but that's just me.

Still got a week or two left, but...

Honigs poly-wools; probably getting these for Christmas

lower-profile shin guards

couple new Richardson 4-stitch black wool hats, and maybe a 6-stitch for the bases

doeskin pads for the mask:nod:

And I need a belt.

From your last post it sounds like you also need a NEW partner!!! :)

ok.. you have not worn plate shoes?..

I lived in Missouri and they didnt care what color pants you wore.. and I believe everyone has to wear Charcoal grey, save your money and stay away from Combo pants.. you will not need plate pants at JEAPU. you will put your shin guards on over the top.

A wish list would suggest a "WANT" ....so I'll do both ...want and need...

Need: New shins

Aside from that, in the NEED department, I'm good ....

...now....

Wants:

Cream shirt

Base shoes - waiting to see what I can find out on the 'new Reeboks'

I know there's more ....but that's it for now :)

ok.. you have not worn plate shoes?..

I lived in Missouri and they didnt care what color pants you wore.. and I believe everyone has to wear Charcoal grey, save your money and stay away from Combo pants.. you will not need plate pants at JEAPU. you will put your shin guards on over the top.

No, I haven't, and a few times recently I've about gotten hit in the wrong place. The cost of plate shoes is less than a trip to the ER. :shrug:

I couldn't find base pants that were in my size and heather grey. I could have sworn the rules said heather grey. I checked and it only says "grey." Also, I spend 2/3 of my games behind the plate so combos are the better deal for me.

No, I haven't, and a few times recently I've about gotten hit in the wrong place. The cost of plate shoes is less than a trip to the ER. :shrug:

I couldn't find base pants that were in my size and heather grey. I could have sworn the rules said heather grey. I checked and it only says "grey." Also, I spend 2/3 of my games behind the plate so combos are the better deal for me.

Wow!

There's tight and then there's tight. Man, you're tight.

"Waiter ... check, please. It's okay, I'll get this."

Have you ever uttered those words?

If 2/3 of my games were plate games, that is even more justification to get plate pants. I bought combos last year when I started because I was cheap, but as soon as I got a few game fees I purchased separate plate/base pants, I kept the combos as my "emergency" pants but I don't think I have worn them in the past several months. I am about to turn my fall game fees into poly-wool plate and base pants as the major "upgrade" for the spring.

Changing pants between games (especially if you wear shorts underneath) takes only a minute and is well worth it.

"Waiter ... check, please. It's okay, I'll get this."

Have you ever uttered those words?

Actually yes, I have. When I'm with a friend I'll do that sometimes. I'm not a bad person. Really, I'm not. :shrug: When you are in college though, and your primary means of discretionary income is umpiring baseball, you have learn to stretch things out a bit.
  • Like 1

Changing pants between games (especially if you wear shorts underneath) takes only a minute and is well worth it.

I can't tell you how important having extra pants, under shirts and under garments can be. Not only does it give you a back-up in the event you leave something or tear somthing, but it is even more important during the summer months when an umpire does multiple games in a day. Putting on clean fresh clothes cam make you feel 10 times better than going back on the field feeling wet and soggy! :-)

For those that can.... I recomend getting at least 2 of everything!

Dry undershirts...

I love dry socks, but I can deal with wet socks. I hate having to do the next game in last game's undershirt - especially when it's a plate to base switch.

Best deal on undershirts going! Compairable to McDavid brand at a third of the cost:

https://pa.purchaseofficials.com/product.php?productid=1671&cat=122&page=1

Actually yes, I have. When I'm with a friend I'll do that sometimes. I'm not a bad person. Really, I'm not. :bang: When you are in college though, and your primary means of discretionary income is umpiring baseball, you have learn to stretch things out a bit.

+1

Amen, brother.

Although I managed to talk my sister into a pair of plate pants for Christmas. Should be able to free up some cash for base pants.