Unknown Rules

how could you tell if it was intentional or not --can you read the fielders mind(or are you lying about knowing for sure)--you always kill the ball--learn the game not just the rules.

Please tell us you're not serious. It doesn't take a mind reader to know when a fielder intentionally drops the ball. 1) They're not that skilled at making it look like an "oops," and 2) the intentional drop helps them steer the ball in a more predictable way, as opposed to maybe getting a bad hop if it hits the ground first.

Their actions will make it plain, I guarantee it. And if their actions don't make it that obvious? Call it accidental, and if there's a triple play, well, then there's a triple play. Bleep happens.

Learn the rules, not just the game.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing to remember is that the intentional drop can only occur if the fielder touches the ball before it bounces.

Go figure:

FED baseball ruled that if the fielder intentionally steers the ball to the ground it counts as a deliberate drop.

FED softball ruled that it is NOT a deliberate drop.

Batter-runner is outside the running late running to first. Catcher throws wild to first pulling the first baseman off the bag. No interference. The wild throw negated the interference by the runner.

OBR: True.

FED: False. In FED (bless their litle hearts) it's interference if the runner is out of the lane on ANY THROW. It was really hammered home this year by the FED national staff. Please don't shoot the messsenger.

OBR: True.

FED: False. In FED (bless their litle hearts) it's interference if the runner is out of the lane on ANY THROW. It was really hammered home this year by the FED national staff. Please don't shoot the messsenger.

I thought I read somewhere that in FED the catcher doesnt even have to throw to first. If the Ump thinks he didn't throw because the runner was in the way he can call an out for int .

I thought I read somewhere that in FED the catcher doesnt even have to throw to first. If the Ump thinks he didn't throw because the runner was in the way he can call an out for int .

They do have to throw. The rule is that the interference is with the fielder taking the throw so there does have to be a throw.

They do have to throw. The rule is that the interference is with the fielder taking the throw so there does have to be a throw.

Thanks Rich.

I am not sure if I read that or if someone told me.

I will be starting a thorough review of FED rules in the next week.

I got asked a question about base awards this past weekend so I have to put that down as one of the most unknown rules. You always hear 1+1 or 2 +1 etc... which has no rules basis.

Warren, yes, nice one!!

Got this one a few times this season.....

"blue, ...but doesn't he get 3rd, he was more than half-way:blah:blah:blah"

Had one this past weekend...but from an umpire.

15u TB tourney, my son's team in on defense. Our f1 throws a 55 foot curve ball that bounces and hits the batter. Plate ump keeps the batter at the plate and the offensive HC starts yelling from the 3rd base coaches box that its a HBP. Plate ump rips off his mask and yells back at him..."you can't have a HBP on a ball that bounces first." Me and the other two coaches, between giggles, support the plate umps call :o But it was not to be. After he conferred with the BU, the batter was awarded 1B.

We had both umps for all four of our games and both made some pretty tough calls and got em right. But I did feel pretty embarrassed for the plate ump.

• 1 month later...

Based only on reactions heard at every game I'd have to say the rule most commonly misinterpreted/unknown by the average fan is the "fake to third, fake to first" by the pitcher. You almost always hear the fans calling the balk.

If the pitcher fakes to third and then fakes to first, it is a balk. If he fakes to third and throws to first - no balk.

If the pitcher fakes to third and then fakes to first, it is a balk. If he fakes to third and throws to first - no balk.

F1 feints to first, he must first disengage the pitcher's plate or he is guilty

of a balk.

He can fake back to first as long as his pivot foot comes off the rubber as he steps to third. I think it would be hard to step to third, then to first w/o disengaging. But I'm sure it's been done.

He can fake back to first as long as his pivot foot comes off the rubber as he steps to third. I think it would be hard to step to third, then to first w/o disengaging. But I'm sure it's been done.

So help me understand this correctly.

F1 Does not have to disengage before stepping to third? As long he he steps off during the feint to third hes ok?

I just want to get it right.

So help me understand this correctly.

F1 Does not have to disengage before stepping to third? As long he he steps off during the feint to third hes ok?

I just want to get it right.

Correct. He can step to third, then feint to first, as long as his pivot foot disengages the rubber. However, if a lefty attempts the same thing (feint to first, then throw or fake to third), BALK. The only feint a lefty can make to first is if he disengages with his pivot foot, then feints to first.

I don't think I've ever said "feint" that many times.

He can be engaged when he steps to third.

My question is has anybody ever seen anybody picked off on a 3-1 move by the pitcher? I don't think I ever have.

Yes, on more than one occasion, twice in a game and I've even seen it at the college and MLB levels. You score it as a DAP.

On a feint to third you can be engaged. If you are going to do a 3-1 move you have disengage as you make the feint to third. If you stay engaged it is a balk whether you throw or feint at first. Now in FED you can engaged as long as you throw.

I just have to share this with someone.

Batter receives a base on balls and OC comes out and says he is putting in a sub for the kid who just walked. Apparently this kid was not a starter and had just entered the game. DC comes out and says" You can't sub for a sub". ???????? I'm still wondering where this guy learns his rules. And this was a junior legion game.

If it's jr legion then likely he is thinking LL where they use a MPR(mininum play requirement)but he still has it wrong. I am giving the benifit of doubt and say he is thing you can sub or re-enter for a sub until he has batted once and played six defensive outs.

Sometimes you wonder which is worse, coach's rules knowledge or their ability to explain it. Although I have seen it from the umpire side too.