Unknown Rules

At a game last season, I called a batter out on the infield fly rule. After the inning was over, a parent walked over to talk to me behind the backstop, they were very upset that their kid was called out when the infielder never made a play on him. I briefly explained the IF fly rule, and the lady was still upset. (I just walked away and let her talk to the coach)

In your opinion, what is the most unknown rule in baseball?

(I don't think the IF fly rule is the most unknown, it's just an example)

thanks

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just off the top of my head, I came up with two:

Pitcher drops ball while on rubber - balk

Hit strikes rubber and goes over foul line - foul ball

As an umpire I have had the second but have yet to see the first in 21 years.

Ump 29 I think the dropping the ball while in contact and runners on is one of those everybody in the park knows it so you have to call it balks.

My vote goes goes to avoiding the tag. I had a nice discussion last week about this with a coach after I called his runner out.

7.13 in LL.

Most of the parents doesn't know the implication of "leaving to soon".

I have had HUGE discussions when the run does not score when the bases are loaded.

Angry parents, angry kids, angry coaches sometimes even angry ME.

A few years back, we were umpiring a Jr. Babe Ruth tournament final game. The score was tied with 2 out and bases loaded in the last of the 7th. Guess what? Yep, F1 dropped the ball while in contact and had to balk the winning run across.

You guys talk to baseball parents? Really?

I've spoken to a parent before, but never about umpiring and never, ever between innings about anything involving baseball.

"Do you need some water, Blue?"

[Me] "No, thank you."

That's about all I would ever say to a parent during a game. And if I ever did talk to a parent about baseball, it certainly wouldn't be a woman parent.

I'm sorry if that sounds sexist, but in this great game, I'm a sexist. Most of the rest of the time, woman is superior. Obviously. But when I go onto that field, it's the one place where woman is clearly inferior. Well, behind the wheel of a car makes two places ... my bad.

Force Plays. A few years ago I had bases loaded with two outs. Batter hits ground ball to F5 and for some reason does not tag third. Runner from second base stops and they get him in a rundown and he is tagged after runner from third touches home plate. I immediately indicate no run scores and then had to explain to the offensive coach why.

Force Plays. A few years ago I had bases loaded with two outs. Batter hits ground ball to F5 and for some reason does not tag third. Runner from second base stops and they get him in a rundown and he is tagged after runner from third touches home plate. I immediately indicate no run scores and then had to explain to the offensive coach why.

I must be having a 'moment' ...but .............;):question1:

I think I am either having a moment also or not enough coffee this morning yet.

From what you wrote and how you wrote it, I think you blew the call.

Would love to hear why the run didn't score?

;):HS:question1:

You guys talk to baseball parents? Really?

I've spoken to a parent before, but never about umpiring and never, ever between innings about anything involving baseball.

"Do you need some water, Blue?"

[Me] "No, thank you."

That's about all I would ever say to a parent during a game. And if I ever did talk to a parent about baseball, it certainly wouldn't be a woman parent.

I'm sorry if that sounds sexist, but in this great game, I'm a sexist. Most of the rest of the time, woman is superior. Obviously. But when I go onto that field, it's the one place where woman is clearly inferior. Well, behind the wheel of a car makes two places ... my bad.

===========================================

Remember: I COME FROM A TINNY LITTLE ISLAND so EVERYBODY KNOWS EVERYBODY, works with or for everybody, sees everybody almost daily, have kids being friends with everybody and so on.

You do not talk to spectators on the field but you will have to after the game, the next morning at work, in supermarkets, over the fence.... You really can become a good politician here...whaahahha..

I have learned that the better knowledge the spectators have of the rules the lesser they grounch about your call. There are also some exceptions where they "believe" they know the rules and get all mixed up and screaming out loud stupid remarks but ok, ... even those helps now and then cause when they have made themselves known, as soon as they start screaming, the rest -who doesn't want to be related with them- stops critisizing out loud.

I try not to start any conversation with the frase "You are wrong" I almost always start with the question ' You really thinks so? Why is that? So they start explaining why they are sure that in such play the call should have been such and then I reply " but you know that in the regulation book is stated in chapter X that ....." Well this always shut them up. An umpire that knows every rule as she can even mention to which chapter you can find it.. Whahaha if they only knew...whahaha..

After a while even when you could be wrong on a call/rule interpretation they will not argue 'cause "she knows the rules by heart" ;)

However I prefer the learning coaches. They always ask why and when you explain or show them why, next time, that particular rule will never be of any problem again. I like those better cause they help by keeping myself upgrated.

I wish you guys could ump here once. You will have a good time here.

I invite you all to inform me when you will be on the island for vacation and I will try and get you a chance to ump. Remember 1 thing : the payment is low from what you have been used to but... you will remember this chance for ever...whahhaha ( you will even go back to USA having a certain apreciation of those you call RATS)...whahahaha... Total different story.

At a game last season, I called a batter out on the infield fly rule. After the inning was over, a parent walked over to talk to me behind the backstop, they were very upset that their kid was called out when the infielder never made a play on him. I briefly explained the IF fly rule, and the lady was still upset. (I just walked away and let her talk to the coach)

In your opinion, what is the most unknown rule in baseball?

(I don't think the IF fly rule is the most unknown, it's just an example)

thanks

a little know rule (to the public not umpires) I'm looking forward to enforcing one day is a one base award for F2 touching a pitched ball with his mask. 1

It's all in the DEFINITION of a force play ....it's a 'situation' not an actual 'action' or 'play' , and that is what gets you! ;):HS

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.

Problem is most people don't know the definition of a force. Third out was by a runner who was forced to advance because the batter became a batter-runner....no run scores. Easy Call.

Problem is most people don't know the definition of a force. Third out was by a runner who was forced to advance because the batter became a batter-runner....no run scores. Easy Call.

No - the problem is that people think you have to tag t3e base to get a force. They also think an appeal re-tag is a force.

It's like the IFR ...it's a situation that's in effect, not an actual 'play' or 'action'.

Fact is, the definition of a force play is not known to most ...

I had the pitcher drop the ball while on the rubber last year in an adult league. It came right after the ball had been put back in play following a balk on the previous pitch when he didn't come set. Poor guy....1st to 3rd just like that.

I think someone already mentioned one of my fav's (Dead ball strike) but how about THIS one......... when over running first base, the runner HAS TO turn to the right blue!