Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5357 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

When BU signals rotation by pointing to first, he isn't saying he has first, he is acknowleging the rotation. Concerning the college associations that I am familiar with, it is "highly recommended" that all umpires signal. Just nodding will not get it done. Crew communication, concerning signals, is vital if you wish to move up the ranks. Some assignors don't mind if you nod, but you will be nodding while working high school games.

Posted

When <acronym title='Base umpire'>BU</acronym> signals rotation by pointing to first, he isn't saying he has first, he is acknowleging the rotation. Concerning the college associations that I am familiar with, it is "highly recommended" that all umpires signal. Just nodding will not get it done. Crew communication, concerning signals, is vital if you wish to move up the ranks. Some assignors don't mind if you nod, but you will be nodding while working high school games.

Yep. This is especially true in 3-man, where U3 signals to U1 as well. We always acknowledge a rotation like this.

Posted

When BU signals rotation by pointing to first, he isn't saying he has first, he is acknowleging the rotation. Concerning the college associations that I am familiar with, it is "highly recommended" that all umpires signal. Just nodding will not get it done. Crew communication, concerning signals, is vital if you wish to move up the ranks. Some assignors don't mind if you nod, but you will be nodding while working high school games.

Amen

Posted

Why are we calling this a "rotation"? I know the PU rotates to 3B, but does the BU come all the way around to cover a potential play at home after the play at 3B? Or does the PU have to hustle back to home?

Posted

Why are we calling this a "rotation"? I know the <acronym title='plate umpire'>PU</acronym> rotates to 3B, but does the <acronym title='Base umpire'>BU</acronym> come all the way around to cover a potential play at home after the play at 3B? Or does the <acronym title='plate umpire'>PU</acronym> have to hustle back to home?

The BU rotates to first, and in 3-man U1 rotates to the plate.

Posted

Why are we calling this a "rotation"? I know the <acronym title='plate umpire'>PU</acronym> rotates to 3B, but does the <acronym title='Base umpire'>BU</acronym> come all the way around to cover a potential play at home after the play at 3B? Or does the <acronym title='plate umpire'>PU</acronym> have to hustle back to home?

The BU rotates to first, and in 3-man U1 rotates to the plate.

We evidentally have someone in our association who is applying the 3-man rotation to the 2-man rotation mechanics.
Posted

We discourage the BU from giving ANY signals or even mirroring them back...

As I told a newer partner...why look like your doing the Hokie Pokie to the fans in the stands...just looks bad. Agree or at least acknoledge your partner behind the plate with a head nod and adjust from there. As long as you are on the same page, play on. You can cover some of the issues in post game or maybe you should have had a better pre-game :Horse:

Posted

We discourage the BU from giving ANY signals or even mirroring them back...

As I told a newer partner...why look like your doing the Hokie Pokie to the fans in the stands...just looks bad. Agree or at least acknoledge your partner behind the plate with a head nod and adjust from there. As long as you are on the same page, play on. You can cover some of the issues in post game or maybe you should have had a better pre-game :Horse:

If you're signalling properly, no one should be noticing what you're doing, let alone likening it to the hokey-pokey.

If they do, who cares?

Head nods suffice for weeknight regular season games in June with partners I know like the back of my hand and where the players are looking to compete for 9 innings but are more interested in crushing a few beers in the clubhouse after. For the rest, signal back.

Posted

Why are we calling this a "rotation"? I know the PU rotates to 3B, but does the BU come all the way around to cover a potential play at home after the play at 3B? Or does the PU have to hustle back to home?

You kind of answered your own question.

The BU does not rotate to cover home on an overthrow, the PU ROTATES back to home.

Posted

Why the resistance by local groups for the BU to signal as well? College and professional umpires signal when working the bases, so I'm baffled as to why it is so taboo with others.

Posted

Why the resistance by local groups for the BU to signal as well? College and professional umpires signal when working the bases, so I'm baffled as to why it is so taboo with others.

Baffled here, too.

Posted

I would not say discourage...please remember they have 4 guys on the diamond at a time...one guy blows it the whole crew gets sideways...

In reference to ump-24's comments...when we get to June regular season games with someone I have worked with over the season...I know like the back of my hand if you will....we don't even signal. I KNOW where he will be on any given play...the most I might get is if we have IFF and he will simply point up...or a slight head tilt toward third if he is rotating to 3rd base...

The situation is in my area...there are only some many guys to work with...so we get real familar quickly.

Posted

I work between 75 and 100 games each summer with the same partner.

We still signal. We find it a good habit to get into.

Posted

I would not say discourage...please remember they have 4 guys on the diamond at a time...one guy blows it the whole crew gets sideways...

In reference to ump-24's comments...when we get to June regular season games with someone I have worked with over the season...I know like the back of my hand if you will....we don't even signal. I KNOW where he will be on any given play...the most I might get is if we have IFF and he will simply point up...or a slight head tilt toward third if he is rotating to 3rd base...

The situation is in my area...there are only some many guys to work with...so we get real familar quickly.

MLB is the only level with four umpires every game. Every college partner I work with in 2 or 3-man still uses signals. Professional umpires still signal whether they are in 2 or 3-man crews. I work with the same partner in the vast majority of my high school games and we still signal. It's a good habit to get into.

I work between 75 and 100 games each summer with the same partner.

We still signal. We find it a good habit to get into.

Yep, see above.

Posted

OK, I relent. Signals from the plate guy are not the real issue...it's the field guy. I have been told not to use them. The plate guy does the signaling and you acknowledge. Maybe it's a pet peeve of mine...I HATE it when the field guy tells me where I'm supposed to go :hopmad:

The ONLY reason I signal the plate guy is if my partner misses a signal...take IFF for example. I'll let him make his calls and if he does not signal it I will just touch the brim of my hat with my index finger. I will take special care to signal if I'm working with a new umpire if he has the stick. That is the only time I consistently signal when I'm in the field.

Posted

OK, I relent. Signals from the plate guy are not the real issue...it's the field guy. I have been told not to use them. The plate guy does the signaling and you acknowledge. Maybe it's a pet peeve of mine...I HATE it when the field guy tells me where I'm supposed to go :hopmad:

The ONLY reason I signal the plate guy is if my partner misses a signal...take IFF for example. I'll let him make his calls and if he does not signal it I will just touch the brim of my hat with my index finger. I will take special care to signal if I'm working with a new umpire if he has the stick. That is the only time I consistently signal when I'm in the field.

You are correct in that the PU is supposed to initiate the signals, and the BU(s) will signal back to acknowledge the PU's signal. BU should never start the signals.

Posted

OK, I relent. Signals from the plate guy are not the real issue...it's the field guy. I have been told not to use them. The plate guy does the signaling and you acknowledge. Maybe it's a pet peeve of mine...I HATE it when the field guy tells me where I'm supposed to go :hopmad:

The ONLY reason I signal the plate guy is if my partner misses a signal...take IFF for example. I'll let him make his calls and if he does not signal it I will just touch the brim of my hat with my index finger. I will take special care to signal if I'm working with a new umpire if he has the stick. That is the only time I consistently signal when I'm in the field.

I have been places where this is the norm also. Plate guy signals, base guy nods.

When in Rome...

Posted

BU should never start the signals.

This is something I didn't know. I will take it under advisement...but I'd hate for us to miss a rotation because "it wasn't my job" that's my only concern. I suppose we could pre game that PU will initiate the signal, BU will repeat or nod or something along those lines.

  • Like 1
Posted

The PU initiates the signal, the BU nods. I tell my guys that at the beginning of the year in our clinics. We work almost all two man in HS and summer ball. Now once you add a third or fourth umpire then there is more rotations to cover. I certainly agree that in three and four man that BUs have to signal. In two man the PU calls the rotation and the BU takes what's left.

Pro two man signal because they are fairly new umpires and they need to signal. They probably don't after they have worked part of the season but their supervisors expect it so they do it. From AA and up they are in three man and it becomes needed again.

  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

No, it's not your call. Even if you make it, it's not your call.

You guys must work with some really lousy partners.

In the associations I work in, we know our jobs and do our jobs.

There is absolutely no excuse for not covering what you're supposed to cover, period. And as far as being BLAMED for not making a call that wasn't mine, I can deal with that all day.

I can't think of a single time in the past several years when someone in my associations failed to rotate when necessary. Not one. Why would you put up with partners that didn't do their jobs?

Yes its PUs job. And if he doesnt do it he will get blamed. And if you do it you will get a positive evaluation. If you dont do it you wont get blamed but the game will suffer. For me the choice is obvious. And it has nothing to do with the quality of the partner.

×
×
  • Create New...