Need Advice: I Need Sunglasses

jkumpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3858 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Review of the ESS Crossbow sunglasses posted at Midwest Ump. Also 15% discount for readers now through 9/15. use discount code in article.

Pete

Just purchased the Crossbow 3LS Kit, you recommended. I needed a new pair of shades and I like the fact that they were basically 3 glasses for 1 pair. I'm working a majors LL state game Friday and I hope they arrive before Friday so I can try them out.

Review of the ESS Crossbow sunglasses posted at Midwest Ump. Also 15% discount for readers now through 9/15. use discount code in article.

Pete

Just purchased the Crossbow 3LS Kit, you recommended. I needed a new pair of shades and I like the fact that they were basically 3 glasses for 1 pair. I'm working a majors LL state game Friday and I hope they arrive before Friday so I can try them out.

Let me know how they work out for ya'. I'm in the market for new shades now...

Pete

Let me know how they work out for ya'. I'm in the market for new shades now...

Will do, can't wait for them to arrive. :lol:

I have a pretty good sunglasses story for y'all:

Last Sunday, after working a game, I looked all over for my Oakleys, and thought for sure I had lost them. On Monday, my wife says, "That's ok, it sucks you lost them, but let's go get you a new pair." So, we went out and picked up a new pair of Radar Pitch's to replace the pair I lost. The new ones have the G30 vented lens, which aren't as dark as the Black Iridium lenses I had in my old old one's, but they are pretty awesome anyway.

Then the next day, I found my old one's in my gear bag in the case under my base shoes, so now I have 2 pair, one for really bright days, and 1 pair for partly cloudly days! :rock

I think the joke is on me, though. It seemed fishy that my wife was so quick to say let's go out and get me a new pair. She didn't even mind that I found my old ones, she just said she was glad they weren't lost, and mever made mention to return the new ones. My suspicions proved correct the next day when 3 boxes of stuff arrived via UPS at the door addressed to her. I guess getting me new Oakley's insured her against me getting pissed about her spending spree that weekend while I was out working games.

Let me pass along an update since I started the thread:

First, thank you for your help and opinions!

Until the other night when I had a very ugly ejection, this has been my best season of umpiring ever. I hope to have more games and pick up some Fall Ball, but as of now it is about over,. :crybaby2:

Using contacts is fantastic, but in all honesty I see some things better with my bifocals. The biggest problem I had this year with my contacts was when I did a summer college D1 wood bat league plate job, and I could not figure out why the numbers on the fence were so hard to read, until I found ot when I got home I was wearing my 21 yr. old daughter's contacts, not mine! But, 9 inning 1-0 game in 1:45 led to no eye exam...

I still need work on the contacts, at night sometimes it was harder to pick up the ball on the bases, and lights were a problem sometimes they would get a halo effect. Repeated blinking would clean things up, but not for good.

Sadly, they do not make bifocal contacts for people with astigmatism, so I had to get sunglasses with magnifiers in them so i could read lineups and other things safely. The best pair I found were of all things Maui Jim's, and since I have a big round face they fit my face perfectly, with no leakage of light around the edges. I will be looking in the off season for other possibilities, but the magnifying side is the tough side of things for finding good sunglasses. The local store price was $159, and I consider it money well spent.

Keep the suggestions coming!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I broke down and bought a pair of Oakley Fast Jackets with polarized blue iridium lenses and an extra set of orange lenses for lower light conditions. I couldn't be happier with both and with them being fast jackets, I can actually carry the extra lenses in their bag in my back pocket and change them out between innings if light conditions change.

These weren't cheap but they work great and they fit me very well which was a concern since I have a large melon.

I'm relatively new to all of this yet. I see that a few of you have posted what Oakley lenses you have.

One the field I primarily umpire at the sun sets in right field. Games are generally at 6 PM, so the sun's still shining, but it's not as bright towards the end of the games. What would be a good lense for the less bright condition?

And is the kind of lenses have ever going to be a distraction to anyone on the field?

oakley m frame is the only way to go. I have been wearing them since high school baseball. They are the only sun glasses that were comfortable whilst wearing a mask. You cannot go wrong with them.

I would also note that if you go this route you can find some nice deals on ebay all the time.

Just bought a pair that came with a black iridium lens, dusk/dawn V28 lens, and a black hard shell case for 123 bucks.

I wear a pair from Native Sports. They have polarized lenses, a yellow pair for low light, and a clear pair for days you just want to have the eye protection (honestly have never worn the clear ones). Love them and a good price point.

• 1 year later...

Any new updates on this topic? I'm looking at the Flak Jackets but wonder about the merits between a polorized lens and a transition lens? I'd look at the M Frames but I wonder if there are as many lens options or whether they will continue to manufacturer polarized or transition lenses for this frame?

Nic

I wear Oakley radar with G40 lenses. I love them. They cut 100% of the glare, and since they're vented, they don't fog as badly. They are comfortable, light, and make everything pop.

Any new updates on this topic? I'm looking at the Flak Jackets but wonder about the merits between a polorized lens and a transition lens? I'd look at the M Frames but I wonder if there are as many lens options or whether they will continue to manufacturer polarized or transition lenses for this frame?

Nic

It's a personal preference. Some like the polarized and it's ability to block 100% of the glare, while other prefer the transition as they can wear them in all conditions including night games. 

Essilor, the company that actually makes the transition lenses, has a new product out called "Vantage". It is a transition lens, that, when activated by the sun, get darker AND polarize. They are available in ophthalmic lenses for prescription eyewear right now. Oakley doesn't have them available yet for their frames that I'm aware of, but I'm sure they will at some point.  

• Like 1

As many have already posted Oakley is the way to go. I've been wearing them since I was a kid and have grown quite a collection over the years. I personally prefer M-Frames if I'm on the field but I have worn just about any of the sport frames they make that have an open lens bottom on the field at some point or another. M-Frames are getting harder to find though if you are trying to buy new but Radars aren't bad either. I do suggest getting polarized lenses though in whatever pair you get. It really gives you a clearer picture and doesn't make things look to dark when it gets later in the day and you are dealing with shadows on the field but still need them when the sun is setting and it's right in your face.

• Like 1