NEW New Balance Plate Shoe

codizzle
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2679 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Thanks, Chris.

Now I love my old 450's. I like the mid top feel in the front, with the low notch in the rear, The 460 forgot that, but it's back in the new version. But, I've always loved the look of the old +POS low tops.

Now, I don't know. Chris, gimme your opinion. Fit/feel/looks/etc.

I have always liked low top plate shoes. The samples are a size 10 1/2 D and I would probably wear a 10EE if I went out and bought a pair. They are pretty comfortable. They do get a little dirtier because the mesh but it's manageable. It's a trade-off for a  lighter shoe.   I hate the 460...I have two brand-new pair sitting in my closet collecting dust ....

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Jackrabbitslims said:

This may seem like a stupid question but does this have a hard toe? It doesn't say that any where so far that I have seen. I like that the pad goes down lower. I have been hit a few times on the instep. If the shoe gets hit does it loose its shine?

I would assume it has a steel toe. The shine question I don't know the answer to, but it's a good question. 

1 hour ago, Jackrabbitslims said:

This may seem like a stupid question but does this have a hard toe? It doesn't say that any where so far that I have seen. I like that the pad goes down lower. I have been hit a few times on the instep. If the shoe gets hit does it loose its shine?

Not a stupid question at all. My guess is that it is not steel like @Stk004 suggested. But a hard composite material. Companies don't use steel toes any more because of the weight and trying to keep said weight down.

As for the shine. There are a few of us on here that tested the shoe or know people who did. Also @JimKirk or @Scott Kennedymight be able to shed some light (at least on the material and shine) on the subject.

On 11/12/2016 at 0:50 AM, Jackrabbitslims said:

No such thing as a dumb question. Just hope this is not a dumb answer.

New Balance kept the same materials and construction in the toe box on the V3 plate shoes as they did on the previous model as I understand it. Our copy on the first MU460 model lists "the highest grade Thermal Polyurethane possible, with greater density in high impact zones".

In general, there are no longer plate shoes on the market with a steel toe. Hard toe, yes. But not a steel plate.

On the getting hit and shine losses, I wouldn't think that would be the case but can't say with complete certainty in every case.

So, talked to an umpire I know in Georgia that was given a pair to pit through the paces.

He said that he did not take any hit to the shoe that he noticed any discoloration or removal of the shine. He did say that on the last game he wore it, he took one off the shoe that left a mark. He thinks water and saddle soap, or something along those lines, would work to buff out the mark.

Maybe @Chris Hickman or anyone else that got to beta test them can chime in.

7 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

I'm working on a blog article listing FAQs and their answers about these shoes. Anyone have a question I can add to the article?

Can we vote on here to have @Scott Kennedy go live from the shipping dock when the new shoes come in? Lol

I too am curious about how the shine will hold up over time.

Can't wait!

9 minutes ago, KenBAZ said:

When will the low cut all black shoes be available? I also want to know about maintaining the high gloss shine.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

January for the first question Jim or Scott might be able to give a closer date. But the website says January.

Would love to also know more about how the gloss holds up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenBAZ said:

When will the low cut all black shoes be available? I also want to know about maintaining the high gloss shine.

Hello @KenBAZ. Good questions. @BT_Blue got you on the low-cut availability. We have Jan 1 but with NB shipping the mid-cuts 2 weeks earlier than expected, I wouldn't be surprised if Christmas comes early for the lows.

Our feeling on the hi-gloss is to not do anything different than you have been on shoe care for your other plate shoes. The easiest answer is "do what's been working for you". I've always been a proponent of mild-soap and water as a cure-all for anything cleaning wise as that just keeps things simple and does a pretty good job in most cases. I know some like Windex for shine (which works great for patent leather too) or one of the ready/lemon sponges. I won't argue either for a quick hit.

Scott advocates just a wet cloth often takes care of most cleaning and shine issues outside of anything too dirty.

I know the Pedag Clear Polish is also product we also hear about that doesn't overdo things in the polish department. We hope to carry Pedag soon but sure you can find it elsewhere if you wanted to give that a try. I'm sure others here will have good advice as well once everyone has had a chance to use the new shoes.
http://www.pedag.de/en/products/shoecare/premium_shoe_polish.html

Hope that helps. Feel free to disagree as we're open to hear better ideas.

Here's the Q&A piece that has some shots alongside the new features. Doesn't hesitate if you have other questions. If you have questions, others will as well.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Umpire-Articles/Q-A-on-New-Balance-Umpire-Plate-Shoes

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

9 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Hello @KenBAZ. Good questions. @BT_Blue got you on the low-cut availability. We have Jan 1 but with NB shipping the mid-cuts 2 weeks earlier than expected, I wouldn't be surprised if Christmas comes early for the lows.

To quote Tom Petty and The Hearthbreakers.... "the waiting is the hardest part!"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2016 at 1:46 PM, JimKirk said:

I'm working on a blog article listing FAQs and their answers about these shoes. Anyone have a question I can add to the article?

Jim - how do they size width wise? i am a pretty average 10 1/2 shoe - what width would you recommend? thanks

59 minutes ago, th3 said:

Jim - how do they size width wise? i am a pretty average 10 1/2 shoe - what width would you recommend? thanks

Thanks @th3for your question.

The great thing about New Balance is they have so much experience sizing widths. You can pretty much accept that a D is a D, a 2E, which is just a tad bit wider than a D, is a 2E, etc.

So if you are an average size 10.5, I'd go with a 10.5 size D.

I am NOT an average size D. I'm a D mostly except a little wider than D across the bridge of my foot. I can usually get away with a width of D running shoe because they'll stretch a bit. But considering the plate shoe isn't going to stretch, I'm definitely going to size up to a 2E width to make sure all parts of my foot fit within the confines.

Hope that helps. Don't hesitate if you have more questions.

13 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Now if we can just get an ETA on the shoes.

I got time...first game is in March and I bought the 460's last season so they still look good. Think I will wait for the low cut. 

24 minutes ago, Mr Ump said:

I got time...first game is in March and I bought the 460's last season so they still look good. Think I will wait for the low cut. 

Same here. But I am impatient and want my new toys. Lol

Also just bought new Davis-by-Fechheimer pants that need to get hemmed.

3 hours ago, kylejt said:

I wonder how the low tops with mate up with Gold or Platinum shin guards, with the ankle protectors. With the 450/460, those flaps stuck out.

From what I understand from people that had then as beta testers. They match up pretty well. Sounds like they made it low enough that it doesn't flair out the ankle guards.