Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 566 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi friends,

Been away from the game and the forum for a few years but I’d like to try to get back onto the field this year. Unfortunately I did the “responsible” thing and sold all of my gear when I was getting out. Now I need to repurchase everything. I think a big online order might end up being easiest with shipping, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to throw a post up here in case I can take something off your hands. Here we go…

Uniforms: v2 replica jerseys (black with grey panel, blue with black panel, black with grey panel long sleeve), charcoal base and plate pants, black or black with white shoulder stripes jackets (convertible a big plus), black 4 and 8 stitch caps. Black ball bags. May need to treat myself to a pair of Oakleys for the field as well. I wear M tops, 30W32L bottoms, 7 1/4 hat.

Equipment: big fan of All-Star from my catching days. Not a big fan of the skull cap so I think I might try to learn to get comfortable with the hockey style mask. Will need mask/helmet, color (12-13in), leg guards (16.5-17in).

Shoes: plate and base, I wear a 10.5.

Thanks for reading! Located in RI for shipping. 

Posted

I have some shin guards that might work. Not sure if you're interested in the other items.

 

 

Posted
4 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

@MAUmpire, I strongly recommend you retain @wolfe_man as your consultant. He recently went through the divestment/re-equipping cycle...

~Dawg

Can I be honest?  I had to double take who the OP was when I read and re-read the first paragraph.

  • Haha 3
Posted
3 minutes ago, BLWizzRanger said:

Can I be honest?  I had to double take who the OP was when I read and re-read the first paragraph.

Oof. Does he have a time machine? Didn't realize my Team Wendy pads would be an appreciating asset...

Posted
19 hours ago, JonnyCat said:

I have some shin guards that might work. Not sure if you're interested in the other items.

 

Also, thanks so much @JonnyCat -- the Force3's look great and if I could use the chest protector and mask I would happily ask you to throw everything into a box. But I think I'd rather give the Cobalt leg guards a shot. 

  • Like 1
Posted
On 3/5/2025 at 11:46 AM, wolfe_man said:

I would advise you to be careful though, if you UN-retire more than once you'll become the butt of everyone's jokes for years around here.

You just have to embrace the Rich Hill lifestyle/career arc! Heal yourself, roll up to a new association every year, have a few bad games, rinse, repeat…

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Ok, I've gotten all the gear new, no thanks to you hosers. FWIW, Mizuno plate shoes and the new Gerry Davis stuff are great changes from when I got out. Went with Mizuno pants, Mizuno shoes, mix of Smitty and GD shirts/jackets, +Pos mask, GD chest and leg guards. 

 

Does anyone have a CCA manual (doesn't need to be the most recent) and/or Fed casebook? Or MiLB/Wendelstedt manuals etc. Not too picky as I'll have a mix of OBR and Fed games and just looking for anything to read/review. 

Posted

If you like the Mizuno plate shoes, you'll love the Japanese model. The toe box is slightly wider, and the Mizuno logo is embossed in black.

  • Like 3
Posted
4 hours ago, MAUmpire said:

no thanks to you hosers.

Hey! I'm not Canadian! 🇨🇦

4 hours ago, MAUmpire said:

and the new Gerry Davis stuff are great changes from when I got out.

I should hope so! @DerekGDS & The Dominoes have done some fantastic effort in developing, progressing, and in some cases, completely rebuilding the way gear is perceived. Other than a few holdout Majestic pieces (shirts & jackets), I've replaced all my other uniform pieces with GerryDavis. 

4 hours ago, MAUmpire said:

+Pos mask

Which one?

4 hours ago, MAUmpire said:

GD chest

Which one?

 

  • Like 1
Posted
3 hours ago, 834k3r said:

If you like the Mizuno plate shoes, you'll love the Japanese model. The toe box is slightly wider, and the Mizuno logo is embossed in black.

Thanks -- I'm the rare person that actually has a narrow foot and prefers a smaller toe box! I actually tried New Balance 4040 turfs and 960 plate shoes but I felt more secure in the Mizunos. The Japanese stuff does have the cool factor...

 

27 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Hey! I'm not Canadian! 🇨🇦

 

lol. But good questions :) I did the black Zro-G mask from Purchase Officials. And I got the DX chest protector and Apex leg guards (I actually started with the 16" Gr8 call shin guards but they were too tall on top of the the mid-cut plate shoes so I sent them back and got the 14.5" Gerry Davis ones, which look very similar. I think I have weirdly short shins). Customer service from all 3 stores was great, but huge thanks to @DerekGDS and the customer support at Gerry Davis especially. I had gotten all Smitty shirts and convertible jacket but one of the Smitty shirts was backordered, so Glenn there upgraded me to the Gerry Davis version for free. Truly above-and-beyond service that made me happy to try their leg guards and upgrade to their new jacket instead of the Smitty. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted
10 minutes ago, MAUmpire said:

I did the black Zro-G mask from Purchase Officials.

Ah. The original ZRO-G. 

Several weeks ago, another mask appeared on Purchase Officials' catalog, labeled as a "ZRO-G", but it was clearly a Honig's K4. While both are hollow-steel, the two mask designs are visibly different; the ZRO-G was like a pared-down café racer, while the K4 was more like a touring cycle. The ZRO-G keeps to the classic, iconic layout of the Nike "Icon" Titanium, but still stays wildly affordable. The K4 is a fantastic "do everything, go everywhere" mask frame, with the large, chisel-shaped XCG, the oversized ear guards, and the discreet, yet protective, extended crown guard. 


Now, this might have been a simple mistake in labeling, or in photography (did anyone actually buy that "ZRO-G" that was listed, and got the K4 delivered?). What is listed now, today, on Purchase Officials' website is the correct ZRO-G ala +POS. 

33 minutes ago, MAUmpire said:

And I got the DX chest protector

You're going to dig it. The entire DX family is based off the same dimensions and geometry, and after being a career-long Schutt owner (Schutt used the same carapace plates on all three successive CP models they made – AiR Flex I, II, and XV), I made the switch to GerryDavis, specifically the DX Enduro. 

  • Like 2
Posted

@MadMax yep! I put a reply in a different thread as well but the pads on the +Pos feel really solid too, truly exactly the way I remember the All-Star LUCs. now I just have to get on the field…

  • Like 1
Posted
50 minutes ago, MAUmpire said:

+Pos feel really solid too, truly exactly the way I remember the All-Star LUCs

That is because the original +POS, GR8 Call and Honig's (not sure about any of the new ones if they have any) and the All-Star FM25 pads all have the exact same internals.

Also, thanks for the kind words!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted
On 3/4/2025 at 2:26 PM, MAUmpire said:

Hi friends,

Been away from the game and the forum for a few years but I’d like to try to get back onto the field this year. Unfortunately I did the “responsible” thing and sold all of my gear when I was getting out. Now I need to repurchase everything. I think a big online order might end up being easiest with shipping, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to throw a post up here in case I can take something off your hands. Here we go…

Uniforms: v2 replica jerseys (black with grey panel, blue with black panel, black with grey panel long sleeve), charcoal base and plate pants, black or black with white shoulder stripes jackets (convertible a big plus), black 4 and 8 stitch caps. Black ball bags. May need to treat myself to a pair of Oakleys for the field as well. I wear M tops, 30W32L bottoms, 7 1/4 hat.

Equipment: big fan of All-Star from my catching days. Not a big fan of the skull cap so I think I might try to learn to get comfortable with the hockey style mask. Will need mask/helmet, color (12-13in), leg guards (16.5-17in).

Shoes: plate and base, I wear a 10.5.

Thanks for reading! Located in RI for shipping. 

I'd encourage you to explore the Gerry Davis line of apparel, especially the cold to cool jacket line. It's some legitimate stuff! They're also coming out with a new CP! 

  • Like 3
×
×
  • Create New...